Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times

Advertisements

You're an idiot if you think in this day and age the experts went to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
How dare those college graduates feel good about themselves.
They aren't college grads, they are current college students. Considering less than 60% of all incoming freshmen graduate within six years of starting college, not all of them are going to be college grads.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Its what is to be expected when discipline is considered child abuse and their parents gave them everything they wanted their entire childhoods. It's no wonder they all voted for Obama.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
Ha! I try not to hop on the "these kids nowadays" bandwagon, as that's the default position of (us) middle-aged cranks, but I must say the survey results reflect a lot of my experience in working with college-age young adults. Teens since the 1950s have been obsessed with their own peer group and its values, but I suspect that social media greatly amplifies that effect. Combine that with helicopter parenting and the misguided "every one gets a trophy" mentality and you have many young people who have completely unrealistic perspectives on both their current abilities and their chances for success.

Many students I work with won't ask questions if they don't know something, but will charge ahead, confidently making a mess of the tasks assigned to them. I also frequently hear about how they're writing a novel (although they're essentially aliterate) or how they'll all be fabulously wealthy right out of college, although working a four hour shift at a sedentary job tends to exhaust them!

Then again, as legalsea suggests, there are already a lot of self-declared "experts" in the world already --- some on THIS VERY FORUM --- so maybe this isn't a completely new phenomenon, after all!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
So people herein are upset that US college students, according to the British tabloid The Daily Mail, have a high opinion of themselves.

Yet, look around on this forum. You will find a number of high school dropouts who have astonishing levels of feelings of self-importance. Many believe that they are expert in fields such as economics, constitutional law, physics, immunology, genetics, psychology, political science, accounting, history, international treaties, zoology, computer science, medicine, and atmospheric sciences, all because they spend a few minutes on the internet looking at sites such as wikipedia or youtube. They will 'cut and paste' to another web site, containing another persons thoughts, and then sit back and declare "Look at what I have done!"

Yet, the world will continue.
How do you know the educational status of the forum members?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
I have to agree with this, I want them to be confident.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How do you know the educational status of the forum members?
Maybe he thinks we're all 17-18 and dropped out of school and are here posting in a political forum.

But I'll tell ya..if I were a 17 year old dropout I'd be playing my video games online, not posting my "intellectual prowess" on a forum

LOL

Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
They are the most entitlement and unenlightened generation to date - and they have learned to blame everybody but themselves. They are clueless, and will pay a dear price for that.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I have to agree with this, I want them to be confident.
Oh they are confident alright, very confident.
If you are an employer you better be able to live up to their expectations of you.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its what is to be expected when discipline is considered child abuse and their parents gave them everything they wanted their entire childhoods. It's no wonder they all voted for Obama.
School is not for education anymore, it's for programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies