Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes, and they also can be revenge motivated or politically motivated. Your point?
Just trying to get you to say out loud what you seem to be hinting at. So you are speculating that this was a politically motivated murder. Which seems a bit out there to me, but at least the position is made clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
It's always the left's way. They are the most hateful people on the planet. They are fascists by definition.

Why is it that right wingers/conservatives are the ones who donate the most? Christians (generally known for right-leaning/conservative views) are the ones who go to the food shelves and donate their time and love and finances.

Hardcore left-wing/liberals are generally a sick bunch of people, IMO. View it clearly in this thread here.
Very scary thinking coming from that side, very sad.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Yet another ridiculous slippery slope argument. Paranoia runs rampant on this thread.
Nothing of the sort.

It's like I will defend your right to free speech even if I don't like it because next they could come after me. Same logic here.

You can not agree if you like and explain why you don't agree.

Tyranny is not something that happens over night, it's an ebbing away at freedoms over a course of time. You won't notice it at first because it doesn't impact you, until one day it does.

The government desires a total monopoly on the use of force, I am not comfortable with that.

That being said I have seen any proposed gun legislation.

I simply don't think it will work in the first place. Assault weapon ban won't work for reasons that are obvious. Making it harder to obtain firearms not going to work.

This discussion needs to move towards a dialogue about what it means to be a responsible gun owner.

You attacked one snippet of one post I made on an issue in which typically I am against the gun nut, so don't know what to say about that other than that's typical of people on here.

The problem is that too many Americans think guns are toys, the culture about guns needs to change. Perhaps it's the video games.

I own two guns by the way, a 22 revolver and a Ar-15 Both are locked up in a safe at all times because I have children. I do not like the idea that so many people don't respect guns, I am talking about the gun owners. I do not support taking away peoples guns though, pretty simple. Has anyone proposed that? No.

I'm a democrat, liberal by many standards.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
1. The star of the show merely demonstrates guns, a far cry from promoting some dangerous culture. FPSRussia came up with an idea, found an audience, and capitalized on it.
2. It's not obvious what exactly happened.
3. The person killed was the web producer.
4. Movie stars and producers make movies involving guns all the time. Should Nicholas Cage or the producer of "Lord of War" be killed next? We can't kill people for engaging in freedom of speech.
Wow... big jumps in logic there. Let me address each one as you outlined them:

1. When a man demonstrates the killing power of a weapon on TV, he is promoting a love for these killing machines... especially among the weak-minded in this country. That is promoting a dangerous gun culture where these killing machines are falsely being compared to cars or a screwdriver. It desensitizes the viewer to the true evil these things often do. When one promotes that, it's no surprised that he becomes a victim of it.

2. Obviously.

3. So?

4. Big jump in logic and a straw man argument. No one is saying (as you suggest) that anybody SHOULD be killed, but it's not a surprise to see it happen. It's a surprise to see a 1st grader shot. It's no surprise the see a gun proponent shot. If first graders were somehow going door-to-door selling guns, then their death would not be surprising... tragic, yes... but not surprising. Thankfully 1st graders are not gun proponents. As far as Nick Cage or producers of violent movies are concerned, they should not be killed, but can anyone be surprised if they were killed by the same means they made millions of dollars showing on the big screen? Millions of idiots watch those movies and take them to heart. They fall in love with the bravado and testosterone displayed when shooting these guns. Everybody wants to be a badass... especially those who feel weak, powerless, afraid, insecure with themselves. Weak-minded fools actually try to emulate what they see, so it's no surprise when one of them acts it out in real life. It would be far more shocking to see Meryl Streep shot by a fan than Sylvester Stallone.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Oh, how terrible! I hope the guns are okay!

^^^What a teabagger would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Hope the guns were okay.
odanny: teabagger extraordinaire

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Like I said: you live by the gun, you die by the gun. This death should not come as a surprise since this guy was such an active promoter of a violent society where everybody should own guns. He's partly to blame for his own demise.
what about an old woman working as a receptionist at, say, remington?

does she deserve to die since she 'lives by the gun' so to speak?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what about an old woman working as a receptionist at, say, remington?

does she deserve to die since she 'lives by the gun' so to speak?
Again with that word "deserve". Stop putting words in my mouth. I'm saying no one sould be surprised if the receptionist is killed. She still deserves to live, of course.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

112 posts, read 207,491 times
Where were his guns to protect him? According to right-wing logic, people with guns don't fall victims to crime. Owning guns will make you invincible to crime.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesABQ View Post
Where were his guns to protect him? According to right-wing logic, people with guns don't fall victims to crime. Owning guns will make you invincible to crime.
Talk about twisting things around..I don't think any law abiding, level headed CPL holder is going to say what you just stated. Caring a gun is just another tool to add to protect a person. Will it always work , maybe , maybe not but it is the end all be all last ditch tool to be utilized if possible. If you had the training classes and were informed you would know that, obviously you aren't.
The whole Anti vs Gun debate is as bad as arguing religion or politics.. you get the same type of close minded holier than thou ,star down their nose mentality. And while we are here bickering about this crimnials , the ones that really should be the focus are doing their thing not caring one bit about either side.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Oh, how terrible! I hope the guns are okay!

^^^What a teabagger would say.
How many Tea Parties have you been to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies