Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Gun buyback: Will it make a difference in Seattle, King County? | Local News | The Seattle Times

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn announced yesterday that the city will hold a gun 'buy back' event. People who turn in a handgun, rifle, or shotgun will get a $100 gift card. They get a $200 gift card for an "assault weapon," which is not defined in the story. The best they could do was a goofy graphic taken from the NYT that is predictably error-ridden.

Even head local anti-gun activist Ralph Fascitelli questions the effectiveness of a 'gun buy back.' He would prefer to see the money spent on an education campaign. Presumably taxpayers will pick up the tab for planning, and police overtime for manning the buy-back booths.

It is mostly non-tax-funded. Amazon.com, which is HQ'ed in Seattle, donated $30,000 worth of gift cards. Corporate welfare champ Nucor Steel will melt the guns down at their Seattle plant.

My question with the 'buy backs' is always: if this technique works, why not do it with other hazardous-but-legal products? Why not offer a coupon for fresh vegatables in exchange for a half-eaten Big Mac, to fight the War on Obesity? If it would take one big Mac off the streets, save one child from obestiy, wouldn't it be worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
You can get more selling them to a crack dealer.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Gun buyback: Will it make a difference in Seattle, King County? | Local News | The Seattle Times

My question with the 'buy backs' is always: if this technique works, why not do it with other hazardous-but-legal products? Why not offer a coupon for fresh vegatables in exchange for a half-eaten Big Mac, to fight the War on Obesity? If it would take one big Mac off the streets, save one child from obestiy, wouldn't it be worth it?
They haven't been known to work in the past. You can sell the city a broken gun though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
You can get more selling them to a crack dealer.
Do drug dealers accept broken guns?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Interesting that they call it a "buy back". Did the government originally own these guns before the present owners did?

Or are they just trying to make you think that government is really the rightful owner of any weapons?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Well see...... I will pay $150 for any of those and $250 for the so called assault rifles...

All these buy backs get is broken junk, guns given to cops after tax payers paid for them and the cops not being hobby shooters have no reason to want the guns, which should have gone back to public auction in the first place.

And a few old ladies who husbands have died and often times get 100 bucks for a gun worth thousands.. And there are millions of collector guns out there worth thousands.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
I have a junkie .22 pistol that I might sell back for $100... Other than that, I think I will keep what I have....

Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Yeah, all the panic buyers buying a AR for $2500 right now are later going to turn them in for a $150 gift card.....lol.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Assinine idea.

1) It encourages theft so they can be turned in for cash.
2) Typically no checks are done or ID kept. A murder weapon may be easily disposed of for cash.
3) Stolen guns turned in this way are rarely returned to their lawful owner.-edit to add, I see they claim they will attempt to do so.

But it plays well on TV when weak-minded idiots watch it. Has me thinking I should take a trip to Seattle with a wad of cash...maybe offer $150 to people in line if they have something worthwhile. Maybe pick up a truckload of cheap Airsoft guns and turn them in as well.

From the article:

Quote:
The last Seattle weapons buyback was held in 1992 under Rice. That program netted 1,700 handguns. A subsequent evaluation of the buyback, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that the number of guns collected represented less than 1 percent of handguns in Seattle homes
excuse me...but WTF are taxpayer funds doing supporting this kind of foolishness?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
They haven't been known to work in the past. You can sell the city a broken gun though.

Do drug dealers accept broken guns?
No they don't, just ask that a-hole Eric Holder, head slime ball for "Fast & Furious". Drug dealers expect the highest quality AK-47s. lol

Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
$100 gift card for a Kimber 1911...f***k no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies