Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

I do agree that when in the hands of an 'amateur' criminal, having the gun handy results in more unplanned murders than if there hadn't been one.....like during a store hold-up, for instance, when things don't go easily or as planned.

But this is still criminal activity and gun laws aren't going to prevent illegal hand guns from those that don't care about laws.

But really, the question is like asking if people without food would be less likely to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Well it's apparent to see the left media has convinced you Canadians easily......Americans have been walking around armed since America started it's nothing new. We now have gangs and thats were our problem lies. The few crazies that shoot up schools and theaters are people out to shock society not law abiding gun owners.

"They go to Cuba, USA NEVER".........what a funny statement, maybe Canadians are just more in line with Cuban thinking, kind of like Al Gore is more in line with Al Jeezra thinking......come on you people are scared to be in America.
I will ask you to compare the social, political and crime conditions beween Skagway Alaska and Dawson City Canada during the gold rush. Now there were the same people doing the same things in the same environment. The differences are astounding in their scope.

Now, this was over 110 years ago and things in Skagway were just as bad then as they are in Chicago to day. So you are correct, Americans have been walking around armed for a long time and it's created huge problems for a long time. You were allowd guns in Dawson city, just not handguns and you were not allowed to walk around the city armed at all. You checked you weapons when you entered town.
Shootings and murders were a daily occurance in Skagway and I don't think there was more than one per year in Dawson.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How are they getting those guns? That is what I think we have to focus on. I don't think anyone is against responsible people having guns. I know I am not. But I get upset by all the rhetoric that gets thrown around.

Like that idiot Alex Jones. I believe that there is a minority of nuts in the gun ownership population that has hijacked what should be a civil, common sense discussion about guns in this country.

And the NRA is paid by the gun makes to disrupt all of it.
Focus on it all you want, did you know that 500 guns a day are stolen in the United States?

How can you protect against that? This is why the pro-gun people as me, for the life of us cannot figure out why the anti gun people, like you, are going after us?

Mayors Against Illegal Guns - Regional Data Sharing

Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM

691 posts, read 771,372 times
I prefer to be a citizen and not a subject.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
I've heard many times how people can use a plethora of other weapons to kill and how it's not the gun's fault. I think that is completely false. I think the gun makes it easy and quick and clean. I think a gun makes a lazy criminal a murderer. I think it makes a coward into killer.

Here is proof. Man first shoots wife in the head, then dismembers her body with knives.

It makes no sense. If he was going to kill her, why not use a knife? It would have been silent instead of making a loud noise that alerted the neighbors.

St. Paul: Wife trying to leave when husband shot her, sawed up body, charges say - TwinCities.com

How many gang murders in Chicago would occur without the guns? Gun rights advocates would say they would use other weapons. Except they don't see clubs and knives in the MTV videos they watch, they see guns.

Tools of killing from a distance are in far too many hands these days. This isn't 1775. The country is a completely different place now. Guns should be in the hands of uniformed officials and responsible hunters and owners. The 2nd amendment doesn't GUARANTEE gun ownership. It is a guideline that I feel is to be interpreted by the current citizens of the country according to our need.

Anecdotes does not constitute data. Liberals often make this mistake.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Of course that's the truth. Anyone who would dispute it is a idiot azzhat. How many shootings happen just because a person just happens to have a gun in their pocket???? Thousands and thousands. You know full well that people "lose it" all the time. They throw a punch or a kick or whatever, they don't really have a murderous intent BUT if they have a gun in their pocket they SHOOT first and think later.

The number of people in the USA who feel so threatened that they MUST walk around armed at all times is a truely sad commentary on the state of your country. The country is filled with paranoid timebombs ready to explode at the least hint of a threat against them. I'm more afraid of these types than I am of criminals. I can generally aviod criminals by staying away from areas they usually hang out in. I can't aviod these average everyday paraniod azzhats because they can be anyone and can be anywhere. Getting shot by some frustrated housewife because I cut her off in traffic or by paraniod idiot who thinks I 'm looking at him with something bad in mind is very possible in your armed to the teeth country.

The reason people like Piers Morgan are so upset and right over the moon about it is that they just can't relate to such insanity. There are probably more shootings in the USA every single day that there is in the UK in a freakin year. Same thing here in Canada. So you know how many Canadians I know who just would not go to the USA for any reason????
Lots and lots of them. They go to Cuba, no problem but the USA never.
Precisely. And a lot of the people who end up "snapping" tend to be the very same "law-abiding" citizens who maintain that they could never be capable of using their gun ill-advisedly. I was doing courier work several years ago and made a delivery of a guy's recovered luggage that an airline he flew on previously lost. A mix-up at the office caused the delivery to run a bit later than scheduled but the office dispatch assured me that the customer was made aware of the mix-up and understood. Of course when I got there he was none too happy to see me and proceeded to curse me out.

Already agitated from a grueling day of deliveries and lack of sleep, I forcefully told him to calm down and that it wasn't my fault for the delivery being late. I gave him his delivery receipt to sign along with my folder for him to sign on but, flustered, he threw my pen and my paperwork all over his yard and threatened to train his shotgun on me if I didn't leave his property in 5 minutes. I immediately called the police and they gave him a good talking-to. Word got back to the airline as well and they threatened to pull his reward points if he ever pulled a stunt like that again.

Now I shudder to think that this "responsible", "law-abiding" gun owner could have easily ended the altercation with a gun shot and, if certain laws had their way, might well have been able to get away with it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Precisely. And a lot of the people who end up "snapping" tend to be the very same "law-abiding" citizens who maintain that they could never be capable of using their gun ill-advisedly. I was doing courier work several years ago and made a delivery of a guy's recovered luggage that an airline he flew on previously lost. A mix-up at the office caused the delivery to run a bit later than scheduled but the office dispatch assured me that the customer was made aware of the mix-up and understood. Of course when I got there he was none too happy to see me and proceeded to curse me out.

Already agitated from a grueling day of deliveries and lack of sleep, I forcefully told him to calm down and that it wasn't my fault for the delivery being late. I gave him his delivery receipt to sign along with my folder for him to sign on but, flustered, he threw my pen and my paperwork all over his yard and threatened to train his shotgun on me if I didn't leave his property in 5 minutes. I immediately called the police and they gave him a good talking-to. Word got back to the airline as well and they threatened to pull his reward points if he ever pulled a stunt like that again.

Now I shudder to think that this "responsible", "law-abiding" gun owner could have easily ended the altercation with a gun shot and, if certain laws had their way, might well have been able to get away with it.
See post 25, and provide something to back up your claims....

Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
I've heard many times how people can use a plethora of other weapons to kill and how it's not the gun's fault. I think that is completely false. I think the gun makes it easy and quick and clean. I think a gun makes a lazy criminal a murderer. I think it makes a coward into killer.

Here is proof. Man first shoots wife in the head, then dismembers her body with knives.

It makes no sense. If he was going to kill her, why not use a knife? It would have been silent instead of making a loud noise that alerted the neighbors.

St. Paul: Wife trying to leave when husband shot her, sawed up body, charges say - TwinCities.com

How many gang murders in Chicago would occur without the guns? Gun rights advocates would say they would use other weapons. Except they don't see clubs and knives in the MTV videos they watch, they see guns.

Tools of killing from a distance are in far too many hands these days. This isn't 1775. The country is a completely different place now. Guns should be in the hands of uniformed officials and responsible hunters and owners. The 2nd amendment doesn't GUARANTEE gun ownership. It is a guideline that I feel is to be interpreted by the current citizens of the country according to our need.
Let's ban guns in Chicago and see if your theory holds up.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Clue Dale: I'm not worried about my gun. I'm worried about all the guns in the hands of mental cases, paraniod idiots, frustrated and angry weirdos and all the other assorted azzhats out there.
How about all the people on legal drugs, drinking alcohol, driving cars, do they worry you too?
Reality is that we have 2.97 gun homocides per 100,000 people, the U.S. is 28th on the list. In 2011 we had 8,600 homocides by firearms, 11,000 alcohol related automobile deaths and 38,000 traffic deaths, 200,000 deaths from hospital errors and secondary infections.
Which should we ban first?

http://www.fox19.com/story/20378064/s

Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just think without private gun ownership we could still be British subjects!!!
Mahatma Gandhi, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies