Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I thought according to pro-lifers that all life was sacred. Does that not apply to innocent Iraqi children and criminals?

If yes, wouldn't that mean that all life isn't sacred and that any pro-lifer that supports wars and/or the death penalty are hypocrites?
This isn't about pro-lifers, I was just making an observation that the comparison was absurd, not from teh viewpoint of a militant pro-lifer, because I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well, you live up to your userid.
  • What school doesn't give F, how do you define this as a trend (1 out of 1,000,000 schools?)
  • Social Security/Medicare aren't "earned benefit" you don't earn something if you take out MORE than you put in. If it was earned, it would stop when you hit your invested contribution.
  • I think your confused on what "honoring" someone means.
  • As far as outsource. Sheesh. I'm not paying more for my TV so that you can have a job over someone in asia or whatever. I mean really, if you are competing with a Chinese laborer for a job, your useless.
  • Do not get your racism comment, though I don't think its true that we don't have race issues.
Finally, a reply from the spokes person from the group that benefits most from the use of double-speak.

BTW, I really am pleased that so many report that their children attend schools that still require kids to learn and give appropriate feedback on report cards. The schools where I am really tick me off in this regard.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I thank you for your post. No youtube or anything. Just one person's thoughts.

I will note that Social Security Retirement benefits were called 'entitlements' from the very beginning, during Roosevelt's time. Mr. Roosevelt was the one who argued (and won, being President) that they be called 'entitlements', to make the program more receptive to the public. Since Medicare (which came afterwards, of course) is also paid for by a worker's own money, I think entitlement fits also (but not Medicaid, a welfare program).

Indeed, here at Social Security (I work for ODAR,the disability office) we state that a person is 'entitled'' to disability income benefits (under Title II, the insurance program) and 'eligible' for supplemental security income benefits (under Title XVI, the welfare program for disability, as well as the elderly).
Do those on Social Security who have paid into it for over 65 years and are still paying into it pay out anything for Medicare? Maybe you can help some of the folks here with your answer since most of them aren't on SS yet.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post

Many of us are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the direction of this country.
This has been ongoing since the U.S. was formed.

The internet just allows a lot more of us to express ourselves.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Default Sugar coat me, please

OK, don't worry about anything because nothing is going to be alright. I hope I helped.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

It is likely that the traits (genetic) that made the father a racist, will put a similar/same blueprint on the kid.
Racism is genetic? Did you mean a parent has some influence over their child's perceptions of race ?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
BTW, I really am pleased that so many report that their children attend schools that still require kids to learn and give appropriate feedback on report cards. The schools where I am really tick me off in this regard.
I've never seen anything like what you described earlier.

But it doesn't surprise me.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Social Security and Medicare have morphed into something called "entitlements" instead of being earned benefits that almost every American worker has paid for through payroll deductions from their hard earned checks.
Most who are fortunate enough to live to or beyond projected life expectancy tend to reap substantially more than their investment in Medicare.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
How 'bout giving a tax "refund" which far exceeds the amount of tax paid in?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
A gal?? Really? I'm not sure I have to guess what gender you are and how old you might be for using the word "gal" to identify a female. How is that even close to glossing over the choice that a womyn has a right to do with her body as she deems necessary? It IS pro choice; giving her a right a human being a right to choose what they want to do with their body.
Now calm down there sweety.

Abortion is a reality in this country and it's here to stay but let's not kid ourselves that it's not a brutal medical procedure....it's clearly sugar coated and there have been numerous attempts to try to "soften" what it really is.

I also applaud your keen insight in being able to ferret out what gender a poster named "mathguy" might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies