Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not everyone pays capital gains taxes, nor will they necessarily in their lifetime.
Taxes did not go up in every state.
Geez.
Not everyone pays payroll taxes nor will they necessarily in their lifetime... But let's be realistic. Someone in their 20s and 30s probably pays more in payroll taxes than they do in capital gains. But as you get into your later years you are more likely to pay more capital gains. Not everyone, but generally, yes. Especially if you live in CA or the Northeast.

Taxes went up in CA... which is the state in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So the "job creators" can keep prices down. Isn't that what you neo-cons want?
I am certainly not a neo-con, lol

and I actually oppose the tipping system for the reasons you state.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Before we even get into this, lets get back to you calling me a hypocrite because in this response you skipped over it knowing you were wrong.

NOW, for the Tax holiday. It was a holiday meant to expire and way back in freaking october, Republicans said it would not be on the table. If you really want to argue that taxes went up, your blame should be on the republicans who had from the beginning said that they would raise it.

Capital Gains will be taxed accordingly AFTER the same income threshold as the Bush taxes cuts ending, meaning it doesnt get taxed at 20% unless you make more than 400,000 as an individual or 450,000 as a couple.

President Obama never promised Taxes would not go up, in fact he campaigned on them going up for the 1%. he ended up giving in and it only went up for the .74% and taxes did not go up on 98% of small businesses. If you are in the 2% of small businesses then the only people who consider you a small business is the IRS. Businesses in that 2% have more than 1000 workers and an annual income of more than 4 million dollars.

Sales tax didnt even go up unless the individual state did it, which has nothing to do with Obama.
You're preaching to the choir. I never disputed the tax holidays. I'm disputing that taxes didn't go up. But they did go up. Prop 30 raised sales tax and income taxes in the state of California. See, you keep saying that taxes never went up just like in your original statement:

Quote:
also, why do you people keep mentioning Taxes as if they actually went up ? the only tax that went up was from the payroll holiday which Obama himself enacted, that republicans said they would not have as part of this fiscal cliff deal(the exact time it expired).
But that's completely false. For the couple in the article, taxes did, indeed, go up.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
the law for decades, so what?

how about just telling us why the customer should pay the wages.
So, what you're advocating is that the employer take on greater costs? You do realize that absent these tips, employers will be forced to raise wages for these workers, correct? Hardly anyone will work for 3 or 4 dollars per hour. Since I've been told so many times before by right-wingers that business owners simply transfer these types of costs to consumers, what would be your first guess as to where you will ultimately end up paying that tip, regardless if you realize it or not?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
So, what you're advocating is that the employer take on greater costs? You do realize that absent these tips, employers will be forced to raise wages for these workers, correct? Hardly anyone will work for 3 or 4 dollars per hour. Since I've been told so many times before by right-wingers that business owners simply transfer these types of costs to consumers, what would be your first guess as to where you will ultimately end up paying that tip, regardless if you realize it or not?
That's all true. And it all makes sense. And it's probably how it should all be. Getting there from where we are now, however, is a struggle.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're preaching to the choir. I never disputed the tax holidays. I'm disputing that taxes didn't go up. But they did go up. Prop 30 raised sales tax and income taxes in the state of California. See, you keep saying that taxes never went up just like in your original statement:

But that's completely false. For the couple in the article, taxes did, indeed, go up.
we are having a discussion on national laws, not state laws. What The House ans Senate passed(and Obama signed) DID NOT RAISE A SINGLE STATE TAX.

You are injecting something into the argument that has absolutely nothing to do with what Obama did. If your original argument was that STATE taxes went up, then I apologize.That still has nothing to do with Obama which is what I was talking about and what the other people in the thread were mentioning. I do realize what the couple wrote on the card, but again, im going by what is written in the thread. You cant blame Obama for a state law.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
we are having a discussion on national laws, not state laws. What The House ans Senate passed(and Obama signed) DID NOT RAISE A SINGLE STATE TAX.

You are injecting something into the argument that has absolutely nothing to do with what Obama did. If your original argument was that STATE taxes went up, then I apologize.That still has nothing to do with Obama which is what I was talking about and what the other people in the thread were mentioning. I do realize what the couple wrote on the card, but again, im going by what is written in the thread. You cant blame Obama for a state law.
At what point did the thread decide to discuss only half of the article? As ObserverNY brought up earlier in the thread, and the article states, the card blames Obama AND Prop 30. Prop 30 was lead by dems. Obviously it had nothing to do with Obama since it is a state tax.

I agree with you that Obama did not raise taxes. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
At what point did the thread decide to discuss only half of the article? As ObserverNY brought up earlier in the thread, and the article states, the card blames Obama AND Prop 30. Prop 30 was lead by dems. Obviously it had nothing to do with Obama since it is a state tax.

I agree with you that Obama did not raise taxes. Sorry for the miscommunication.
If you read back though the thread you can see exactly how the thread deviates from the article. People are specifically mentioning one or the other and/or blaming Obama for both which is the reason why i specifically mentioned that the article includes both and that the thread is somewhat different from its source material.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
It just shows how stupid and petty Republicans are in their desire to win. In the end it just exposes them to the world as horrible human beings but most people already knew that to be true.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet he had the discretionary income to eat out.
What happened to the "personal responsibility" meme?

I don't think that the patron should be required to pay for salary, it's not done that way anywhere else that I know of.
I mean, servers make what, about $2.50 and hour plus tips.

Another way the US is behind the world.
Oh yes why have monetary incentives for people to work better?
Money is a motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies