Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
George Bush won with probably the most social conservative stance on abortion since Reagen. He won because of Hispanics.
Need I remind you that the Bush era has come and gone and didn't work out all that well? It's a new day.

Think what you must - the party of old, white men wants to cast their nets pretty narrowly and only include Hispanics.

Personally, I don't see that as a recipe for success - but whatever.

I think the Republicans (that want to win in 2016) are busy trying to reform their platform to appear to a wider demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Need I remind you that the Bush era has come and gone and didn't work out all that well? It's a new day.

Think what you must - the party of old, white men wants to cast their nets pretty narrowly and only include Hispanics.

Personally, I don't see that as a recipe for success - but whatever.

I think the Republicans (that want to win in 2016) are busy trying to reform their platform to appear to a wider demographic.
All eras come and go, but we take away their most important lessons.

A party that appeals to all demographics is a party that doesn't stand for anything.

The Republican party should consider the direction of her party. If they want to keep socially conservative stances on abortion they need Hispanics which are generally sympathetic to those stances. But if they get Hispanics they will need to leave their position on immigration. If they wish to focus on immigration, they will need to abandon their stances on abortion to attract more women. It's either one or the other. They have to pick which one they want more.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM

657 posts, read 695,496 times
Quote:
No they won't, they're true swing voters. They didn't want Romney for his stance on immigration. If the Republican wants to win they have to pay attention to Hispanics in the future.
This is sad...

I'm hispanic and can guarantee you nothing republicand do will change the hispanic vote. Hispanic are leftists for the most part, the hispanics considered right are in the left. I grew up in a democrat household and knew a sprinkle of right leaning hispanics growing up, they are all democrats now. The issue with Republicans is that they only talk right, but do left. So there is no real right remaining imo. Everyone is left and dont realize it.

I'm probably one of the only remaining on the right, not Republican - libetarian.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Republicans Propose Bills to Defund Planned Parent Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Does it make any sense to remove funding from family planning insitutions when we have one of the highest unwanted pregancy rates of any civilized country, who will pick up these services

Marsha Blackburn, Diane Black Offer Dueling Bills To Defund Planned Parenthood
Nope.

No GOP war on women.

None at all.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
This is sad...

I'm hispanic and can guarantee you nothing republicand do will change the hispanic vote. Hispanic are leftists for the most part, the hispanics considered right are in the left. I grew up in a democrat household and knew a sprinkle of right leaning hispanics growing up, they are all democrats now. The issue with Republicans is that they only talk right, but do left. So there is no real right remaining imo. Everyone is left and dont realize it.

I'm probably one of the only remaining on the right, not Republican - libetarian.
My mother is Puerto Rican. On top of that I've lived in Hispanic heavy areas in this country like Los Angeles, Miami, and now Houston. Hispanics are generally considered conservative on social issues but vote democrat out of belief that the Republican party doesn't care for them, doesn't want them. However, when a Republican candidate reaches out to them like George Bush does, the Hispanic vote becomes split (something you can verify).

The ideal candidate for the average Hispanic, by that I mean average Mexican-American in this country, is one who desires amnesty, family reunification, desires to keep funding for the poor in medicaid and welfare, but also has a conservative stance via abortion and religion. In other words, it's a grab bag of Democrat and Republican platforms.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So true. It's sad, really, that the Republican Party continues their march toward oblivion. But, if they can just win those Hispanics over . . . . . that's all they need.
In order for the GOP to accomplish this, they needed to start 8 years ago, pre 2012. Mitt Romney tried pandering to hispanics and women during his campaign, and you see how well that worked out for him.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In order for the GOP to accomplish this, they needed to start 8 years ago, pre 2012. Mitt Romney tried pandering to hispanics and women during his campaign, and you see how well that worked out for him.
Well, he DID have those binders full of women and ONLY preached 'self-deportation' so I cannot imagine why that did not work out for him.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Mitt Romney went to the right of Newt Gingrich on illegal immigration. How is that pandering to Hispanics?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Mitt Romney went to the right of Newt Gingrich on illegal immigration. How is that pandering to Hispanics?

Mitt Romney pandering Hispanics - YouTube

Mitt Romney Racist Jokes About Mexican Latinos - YouTube

George Lopez On Mitt Romney's Latino Roots | "Larry King Now" | Ora TV - YouTube

Romney's "self deportation" plan draws laughs - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOBBU15xDc

Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM

657 posts, read 695,496 times
Quote:
My mother is Puerto Rican. On top of that I've lived in Hispanic heavy areas in this country like Los Angeles, Miami, and now Houston. Hispanics are generally considered conservative on social issues but vote democrat out of belief that the Republican party doesn't care for them, doesn't want them. However, when a Republican candidate reaches out to them like George Bush does, the Hispanic vote becomes split (something you can verify).

The ideal candidate for the average Hispanic, by that I mean average Mexican-American in this country, is one who desires amnesty, family reunification, desires to keep funding for the poor in medicaid and welfare, but also has a conservative stance via abortion and religion. In other words, it's a grab bag of Democrat and Republican platforms.
I will disagree. I will bet the vote was not split even when the GOP won.

In terms of party that cares, the dems are vocal about taking money from others, they are willing to bypass the laws to impose their garbage on people. The gop is good at talking conservativeness, yet love spending like the gop. I'd say neither cares about anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies