Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
what do you have to fear from a background check unless you are a criminal? I don't understand how anyone in their right mind could be opposed to background checks and waiting periods when buying a gun. do many members of the NRA have criminal backgrounds? then I could see why they would be opposed to it.

I would take it a step further and require gun owners to be licensed. you need a license to drive a car but any idiot can legally own a gun?
An acquaintance of mine was being beaten by her husband. She finally filed for divorce and got out. She knew he would come after her so she began the legal process of buying a gun. At that point in time, the waiting period in California was four weeks if I'm remembering correctly. He had already found and killed her in about two weeks, well before the end of the waiting period. The gun that she never lived long enough to purchase might have given her a fighting chance at survival. The waiting period pretty much guaranteed her death.

I'm fine with background checks but I cannot fathom what useful purpose is accomplished by waiting periods, but they obviously can do great harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
An acquaintance of mine was being beaten by her husband. She finally filed for divorce and got out. She knew he would come after her so she began the legal process of buying a gun. At that point in time, the waiting period in California was four weeks if I'm remembering correctly. He had already found and killed her in about two weeks, well before the end of the waiting period. The gun that she never lived long enough to purchase might have given her a fighting chance at survival. The waiting period pretty much guaranteed her death.

I'm fine with background checks but I cannot fathom what useful purpose is accomplished by waiting periods, but they obviously can do great harm.
That's a great point I didn't consider. A waiting period or a "cooling-off" period may be useful in preventing someone from buying a gun and shooting a cheating spouse in a fit of anger, but what about the flip side of that? What about the cheating spouse who needs protection from the other? They will be punished and put at risk by the same law that was meant to help protect them....

I can remember reading about the LA riots when everyone n that area wanted to buy a gun when anarchy broke out in the streets. By the time the waiting period expired, you were already dead, injured, or somehow managed to elude the violence, because the riots were already over.... California gun laws have never made sense. Something tells me they would get rid of guns all together if not for that pesky little annoyance called the second amendment.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's a great point I didn't consider. A waiting period or a "cooling-off" period may be useful in preventing someone from buying a gun and shooting a cheating spouse in a fit of anger, but what about the flip side of that? What about the cheating spouse who needs protection from the other? They will be punished and put at risk by the same law that was meant to help protect them....

I can remember reading about the LA riots when everyone n that area wanted to buy a gun when anarchy broke out in the streets. By the time the waiting period expired, you were already dead, injured, or somehow managed to elude the violence, because the riots were already over.... California gun laws have never made sense. Something tells me they would get rid of guns all together if not for that pesky little annoyance called the second amendment.
I think the mistaken logic behind background checks is the thought that everyone needs to cool off and calm down before being given a gun. Sometimes, you need it ASAP for completely legit reasons like my friend in Cali. Creating laws based on broad sweeping assumptions is always a mess. There should at least have been a workaround of some sort: Maybe nix the waiting period for anyone who has a restraining order in force to protect them. But the best solution is to simply get rid of waiting periods. Making assumptions about why somebody wants/needs a gun is ridiculous.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Why does the NRA oppose waiting period when buying a gun?
Because it is useless and only impacts law abiding citizens.

Gun registration and waiting periods never prevented a crime.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Hey you idiots, until you get the balls to amend the US Constitution, it is a right, not a privilege you can control with law after law, or Congressional Act after Act..... Period.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Gun registration and waiting periods never prevented a crime.
About as simple as you can get with an explanation....

Any lefties care to provide any evidence to refute this?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
what do you have to fear from a background check unless you are a criminal? I don't understand how anyone in their right mind could be opposed to background checks and waiting periods when buying a gun. do many members of the NRA have criminal backgrounds? then I could see why they would be opposed to it.

I would take it a step further and require gun owners to be licensed. you need a license to drive a car but any idiot can legally own a gun?

Apparently you have never purchased a firearm.

When you purchase a firearm, you fill out a form. The gunshop calls the feds to make sure that you are able to purchase the firearm. If you do not have a "permit to purchase" (which is obtained from the county sherrif and is good for one year), you enter your social security number so they can check for any problems.

So...................................... a "background check" is already done. So why in the world would we need a second background check?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,515 times
Quote:
huh? no car dealership will sell you a car if you don't have a valid license to drive. it would be against the law for them to do so. duh.
So a dealership does an FBI background check before you buy a car.

That's some serious critical thinking there sir.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,624 times
Quote:
huh? no car dealership will sell you a car if you don't have a valid license to drive. it would be against the law for them to do so. duh.

The ignorance of this post is overwhelming. When you grow up, you'll understand better...I hope.

If I'm wrong, please search and find the statute, Federal or State, that requires the buyer of a vehicle to have a license.

That's like saying you have to own a home to legally buy a refridgerator.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:

That is because you will never be wealthy enough to pay cash. Your loan requires your ID, not the purchase of a car. Now Title transfer and registration are totally different.

I have bought a truck and placed the title in someone elses name.... My dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies