Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Again, the federal government is arming itself for domestic resistance, why shouldn't you be doing the same?
OK... Let's see your "proof" about that. I'm in the mood for a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:12 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
You are clearly to drunk on anger to post anything of any sort of substance. Eat some bread, sleep it off, and try again tomorrow?
Nope, no drinking or anger here just cold hard facts about the sort of people who get involved with violent racial supremist groups. I see you can't refute the substance of what I posted and that's why you had to resort to changing the subject. That's ok because given the undertones of your posts here I think everyone knows just how much faith to put in anything you post.

Truth hurts, huh?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Maybe they plan massive tax increases and massive social spending cuts and expect people to go ballistic. Angry people and guns make for some scaredy cat politicians.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sounds like an ideal community in which to live.

What is the problem?
No problem, if it sounds good to you. Check out their website. If you like what you see, sign the agreement, cough up the cash, and pack up the pickup. Welcome to Idaho!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
In a weird way, "effete Northeast liberal" that I am, I secretly root for these kind of projects (provided it's not actually a community that roams the countryside burning crosses and terrorizing folks, naturally). It reminds me, paradoxically, of feminist Marge Piercy's (somewhat ham-fisted) sci-fi novel Woman At The Edge of Time, where a woman travels into a utopian future world where people of any race/creed can choose to live in communities modeled on various ethnic/social models, including a group which practices (if I'm not misremembering) all the rites of Hasidism!

Although there's a lot of diversity in the US, sometimes I wish each state in the US was radically different, and you could have the chance to visit them, rate their success or failures, talk to the "natives" about their beliefs, etc. I'd be curious to see, for example, how a truly libertarian state might function. I mean, my cultural values are somewhat different from the average Mormon, yet I'm really glad a place like Salt Lake City exists --- though I'm pretty sure I don't want to live there!

So keep shooting those guns of yours and building the bedsheet fort of your dreams, you crazy patriots, you! Keep America weird!
America's once wide diversity is disappearing. If you were to visit Salt Lake City, you would see just another metroplex. Even the rural southern half of the state is pretty much like other sparsely populated agricultural areas all over the country. The only differences are the terrain, the scenery, and the fading heritages. Speech varies all over, so the most unique thing about most of Utah is it's singular accent.

There are no Libertarian states out here in the west, but there are many pockets of Libertarianism. The one thing folks from the 'east' (out here, anyone east of Denver is from the east) don't understand is the vast distances. Trips are spoken of in hours, not miles; a trip to the grocery store can be an 8 hour undertaking, with only 1 hour actually spent in the store.

Remoteness is a real pleasant thought for folks who are in the middle of urbanity, but once a person is actually living in it, people simply don't realize how different the life actually is.

I had a relative who had a degree in English, but made his living as a sheepherder. He wrote a lot of poetry to pass the time. Here is one:

SOLITUDE

An eagle flies through empty air
Silence, stillness, everywhere
Not a soul to be found
In all this empty ground.

It's a hell of a theme to write about
For those who've never tried it out.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
it's not anything i would do but then you would never get me to live in any closed community.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Sounds like hell. Perhaps the gun lovers would like this type of thing. Living under an HOA controlled neighborhood myself . . . it sure ain't the land of the 'free'. Someone tells me what kind of fence to have; how high, what kind of wood, and the boundaries. Someone tells when when to cut down and tree and exactly what kind of tree I have to replace it with (and when). And I'm living in a house I OWN and not a concrete block.

Yeah, these freedom loving Americans are going to LOVE this community!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's a good idea. It keeps a whole bunch of wacko idiots in one place where they can be watched.
You're line of thinking scares me. Just because they're whacko's doesn't mean that they should be watched. And who's to say thast those doing the 'watching" are just as big of whackos?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sounds like hell. Living under an HOA controlled neighborhood myself . . . it sure ain't the land of the 'free'. Someone tells me what kind of fence to have; how high, what kind of wood, and the boundaries. Someone tells when when to cut down and tree and exactly what kind of tree I have to replace it with (and when). And I'm living in a house I OWN and not a concrete block.
Your situation sounds only marginally better. It always amuses and confuses me that HOAs are popular among conservative suburbanites.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Your situation sounds only marginally better. It always amuses and confuses me that HOAs are popular among conservative suburbanites.
Really? Control and conformity seem to be the major features of modern American conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies