Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory back ground check on all gun sales if you knew it would stop criminals
Yes I would support this even though I am a gun owner 20 66.67%
No I would not support back ground checks on gun sales. 4 13.33%
I think that we need to repeal all back ground checks on all guns sales even dealer sales 4 13.33%
I would not support it even if I knew that some criminal would get a gun by a private sale and kill 20 more kids. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

I say no and here's why. If I want to sell a gun in a private face to face transaction I should be able to do that. In my state the law dictates that private sales must only be between two residents of the state. You must have a firearms license in this state to possess any gun and one can only sell a gun to a licensed individual. Therefore anyone who would buy my gun has already been through a background check to get licensed. If I have to go through a dealer to make the sale it adds expenses and headaches that I don't need or want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The key word is TRY.
The paranoid gun-haters have been TRYing for years. Decades, actually. Gun ban after gun ban. Restriction after restriction. And the murders and mass shooting have gone right on, and even gotten worse.

Rather than TRYing, why don't we try succeeding instead?

The gun banners have had their TRY. Now it's the adults' turn.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM

374 posts, read 236,136 times
No, the original buyer from the FFL already had one.

Most owners who sell some off have good judgement on who not to sell to.

Most criminal guns are stolen from break and enters.

A few have tried to buy face to face.

They get sweaty when asked for a drivers license and CCW.

"What...don't have it?"

BEAT IT!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Now it's the adults' turn.
I'd like to see organized peaceful, quiet assemblies of armed citizens around court houses all across the nation.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I say no and here's why. If I want to sell a gun in a private face to face transaction I should be able to do that. In my state the law dictates that private sales must only be between two residents of the state. You must have a firearms license in this state to possess any gun and one can only sell a gun to a licensed individual. Therefore anyone who would buy my gun has already been through a background check to get licensed. If I have to go through a dealer to make the sale it adds expenses and headaches that I don't need or want.
Can be anywhere from $5 to $100 depending on the dealer.

The whole reason the guy is selling it himself in the first place is because the FFL tried to fawk him on it.

This weapon isn't worth half what I paid one month ago......

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Background checks make it more difficult for criminals or otherwise unqualified people form buying a gun at a retail location or a gun show. It doesn't make it impossible. But I have no problem with background checks like the one currently required by federal law.

A highly motivated "bad guy" will be unfazed by the background check. He will find a gun somewhere. He may get someone to buy it for him (which is already illegal).

The background check requirement apparently stopped Lanza from buying a gun. So instead he killed his mother and used her guns. If the Aurora shooter's mental state had been handled better, he might not have been able to buy a gun legally. Maybe the same with the Virgina Tech shooter.

Some of these people, who are not routinely in the criminal underground, might not have such an easy time buying an illegal gun.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Background checks make it more difficult for criminals or otherwise unqualified people form buying a gun at a retail location or a gun show. It doesn't make it impossible. But I have no problem with background checks like the one currently required by federal law.

A highly motivated "bad guy" will be unfazed by the background check. He will find a gun somewhere. He may get someone to buy it for him (which is already illegal).

The background check requirement apparently stopped Lanza from buying a gun. So instead he killed his mother and used her guns. If the Aurora shooter's mental state had been handled better, he might not have been able to buy a gun legally. Maybe the same with the Virgina Tech shooter.

Some of these people, who are not routinely in the criminal underground, might not have such an easy time buying an illegal gun.
Obama and everyone else forgets that. Lanza went to Dick's and was denied access from the FBI.

SO.....he kills his own mother and swipes hers.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingTactics45 View Post
No, the original buyer from the FFL already had one.

Most owners who sell some off have good judgement on who not to sell to.

Most criminal guns are stolen from break and enters.

A few have tried to buy face to face.

They get sweaty when asked for a drivers license and CCW.

"What...don't have it?"

BEAT IT!
Someone said that^^^ before.....

Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM

I saw a guy steal a handgun from an FFL at a gunshow once.

He chased after him and met him at the door where Police stopped him.

The State Police Officers let the FFL punch him in the mouth as hard as he could. They said they didn't see a thing before hauling him in and placing the thief under arrest.

How's that for justice?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Easy fix,

you don't have a concealed carry permit...you don't get to trade guns....period...

Why you ask, even with the 5 year permits, you still get a yearly back ground check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies