Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The AR-15 was designed for military use, they are by no means the only gun that should not be in the hands of civilians. I am not question that hunting rifles are deadly, just semi-automatic weapons intended for military use, I don't really care what you can manufacture, build or redsign, just what the OP posted.

Enough with the scary weapons comments, really boring at this point.
Ah, because the discussion is over your head, you find it boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
What does the AR in the AR-15 stand for? Assault Rifle, yes?

So would that not lend credence to the claim that the AR-15 is indeed an Assault Weapon?

I'm not a gun expert and I never particularly cared for the guns I had to use while in the military. I know both how to operate and handle a 9MM and a M-16, but I don't really like them.

This whole gun debate is boring anyway. Everyone just give it a rest please.
Just like the Stimulus Bill was supposed to "stimulate" the economy, which it DIDN'T!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
I have not read this post yet. I am not anti gun for a couple reasons. I was a sharpshooter in an Israeli infantry unit so i have experience with "assault weapons" i dont know why i used quotes thats what they are. An ar 15 is made to kill people in an offensive nature. I cant think of 1 reason why any civilian would NEED one. Not one. I'm not saying they should be banned but we need to be honest. I understand Pistol, shotgun, hunting rifle but again I cant think of any reason one would need an assault rifle
My BS detector is flashing.

"718native" (718 is a NYC area code) is saying that they've served in the Israeli military? So were you born in NYC, or not? If so, how did you end up serving in Israel?

I'm not saying you're lying, but it's awfully suspicious, and if you want people to believe you, you're going to have to explain that inconsistency. If you can't do that satisfactorily, then I (and probably a number of others) will have to assume that you lied about it to give yourself some credibility about your position.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Too funny. I have a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle with a short barrel, composite stock and Picatinny rail for sighting devices. It is, in acuality, nothing less than a semi-automatic carbine that accepts 20-30 round magazines of NATO .223/5.56, same as the "assault rifles" the left is wringing its hands about, but doesn't have a bayonet stud or flash suppressor and look "evil" so it isn't considered one.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
No. Do some research. The wiki article on it (top of the list of a google search for 'AR-15') explains it.

"The AR-15 was first built by ArmaLite ... The 'AR' in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name."

Sheesh.

Quote:
I'm not a gun expert
No kidding. You're apparently also not an expert in how to use the Internet, how to debate, how to analyze information, how to base an opinion on facts...

Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Exactly...Shoot a deer anywhere but in the head with a .223 and there would be very little usable meat left...The muzzle velocity is so high that the bullet fragments on entry and goes off on several different directions ruining most of the animal.
I'm not a hunter, but with similar muzzle velocities on a 30-06 (very common deer rifle) and a larger projectile, how does that compute? Larger projectile + same muzzle velocity = higher energy on impact. How can a .223 be bad for deer hunting because of the energy it carries but a 30-06, which carries more energy, be good?

It doesn't make sense. Also, if you google 'ar-15 deer hunting' you'll find that plenty of people hunt with a .223. Generally, I think people prefer larger bore rifles, though. Again, that doesn't jibe with what you said above.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too funny. I have a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle with a short barrel, composite stock and Picatinny rail for sighting devices. It is, in acuality, nothing less than a semi-automatic carbine that accepts 20-30 round magazines of NATO .223/5.56, same as the "assault rifles" the left is wringing its hands about, but doesn't have a bayonet stud or flash suppressor and look "evil" so it isn't considered one.
Your Mini-14 will almost certainly be on Feinstein's ban list, based on the info she's released about it so far.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Your Mini-14 will almost certainly be on Feinstein's ban list, based on the info she's released about it so far.
In which case I'll cordially invite her to personally come seize it.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:

So would that not lend credence to the claim that the AR-15 is indeed an Assault Weapon?

I'm not a gun expert and I never particularly cared for the guns I had to use while in the military. I know both how to operate and handle a 9MM and a M-16, but I don't really like them.

This whole gun debate is boring anyway. Everyone just give it a rest please.
You may have used one in the military, but you didn't learn squat... AR does not stand for Assault Rifle... It stands for ArmaLite which was the original manufacturer of the AR platform.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The characteristics are very similar to the M16 minus the automatic mode,

There in lies 1 of the many problems with ant gunners. It doesn't matter if it is a full auto or not. If it LOOKS like a full auto, it must be banned. Emotion and perception counts more then reality.
Putting the issue with automatic aside there is really very little difference between both, it doesn't matter how it looks, the issue is the function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies