Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,746 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this topic has been brooched on this forum, if it has, I apologize for the redundancy.

I have following the gun controversy following the Newtown tragedy and listening and reading to the pros and cons of gun control. One argument of the anti-gun control crowd is that guns, and by guns I mean assault rifles and other military arms, are necessary to protect citizens against the tyranny of the state. As the argument goes, if the state/government oversteps its bounds and becomes tyrannical the good citizens with the assault rifles will rise up and put the government in its place.

The argument to me is sophistry. We live in a republic with elected Senators, Congressmen, Governors , etc. Tyrannical democracy is an oxymoron. The will of the majority controls, but the rights of the minority are protected under the constitution. If the government is made up of elected officials and we can vote out those officials then how could we say those people are tyrants and unaccountable. I am not saying that there are not abuses or problems with the system, but democracy has and always will be a work in progress.

Furthermore, gun ownership does not halt government tyranny at any rate. Iraq during the days of Saddam Hussein had among the highest per capita gun ownership in the world and it did not stop his tyranny.

The only way to stop government tyranny is not assault rifles, but an educated and vigilant electorate. If one day government tyranny does come it will because of the failure of the electorate, and the amount of guns will not matter one iota.

I believe in our nation I don't fear it.

The OP is if you believe in democracy and your country why do you fear it and feel the need to own assault weapons to defend that government from you?

Last edited by TreeBeard; 01-11-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM

768 posts, read 879,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post

Furthermore, gun ownership does not halt government tyranny at any rate. Iraq during the days of Saddam Hussein had among the highest per capita gun ownership in the world and it did not stop his tyranny.
This is true. Wasnt the constitution only fit to be upheld by a 'moral and religious' people or something?

I dont think the religious bit matters, but america is surely no longer a nation of moral people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies