Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
1st step to eliminate violence - Eliminate bullying in schools

This video says it all,
we all have seen kids with issues at home and then being bullied at school.
At some point, those kids might end up taking extreme measures to revenge against people.

How should we stop it?
Zero tolerance for bullying in schools
No zero tolerance policies. That's how we get 6 year olds suspended for drawing pictures and other nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The first step is parents bringing their child up to be empathetic so as to avoid them from becoming a bully or, for defense, with more self confidence to handle it if they end up with somebody attempting to bully them.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Thats not the way it works though.
The bully terrorizes some kid until he loses it and beats the sh*t out of the deserving a$$hole then the school calls the police and he gets charged with assault.
My Brothers kid is bit sensitize and my Brother told him he'll deal with the school and don't take anything from anyone. I don't want to be the kid he snaps on, he's like 15, 6ft. and has black belt in karate. LOL

Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 AM

147 posts, read 118,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
1st step to eliminate violence - Eliminate bullying in schools

This video says it all,
we all have seen kids with issues at home and then being bullied at school.
At some point, those kids might end up taking extreme measures to revenge against people.

How should we stop it?
Zero tolerance for bullying in schools

How was Adam Lanza bullied? was he?
What about the colorado theater shooter? was he bullied?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
The problem is that SOME bullying is normal and even beneficial. If you never deal with conflict you end up an emotional cripple. If you've never been bullied ( or criticized or punished), you'll never know what it feels like so you'll be that much more likely to bully others. Or to go off the deep end as an adult not being able to handle it.
Why are our kids such a mess? Too much instant gratification, too much self esteem, too much inhibiting natural behavior, too much telling them anything and everything is normal.
Let kids be kids, just have boundaries and don't let them go too far. Thats the problem nobody has them take responsibility for actions and nobody is there to set examples as role models.
One last thought. If you think that our society is a mess, or at least struggling, isn't our government an end result of that? How can you expect the government to fix the problem when its our job on the family level? Its kind of like asking convicted criminals to plan a better legal and penal system so as to reduce crime.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The problem is that SOME bullying is normal and even beneficial. If you never deal with conflict you end up an emotional cripple. If you've never been bullied ( or criticized or punished), you'll never know what it feels like so you'll be that much more likely to bully others. Or to go off the deep end as an adult not being able to handle it.
Why are our kids such a mess? Too much instant gratification, too much self esteem, too much inhibiting natural behavior, too much telling them anything and everything is normal.
Let kids be kids, just have boundaries and don't let them go too far. Thats the problem nobody has them take responsibility for actions and nobody is there to set examples as role models.
One last thought. If you think that our society is a mess, or at least struggling, isn't our government an end result of that? How can you expect the government to fix the problem when its our job on the family level? Its kind of like asking convicted criminals to plan a better legal and penal system so as to reduce crime.
Thank you Dr. Icy Tea, you've just solved America's problems in schools.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Our whole culture is centered around "Oh, snap!" and snarky = funny and "I'm a big B, deal with it and talk to the hand!"...at some point it became cool to be rude and almost like the only way you can stand up for yourself and demonstrate self-esteem.

Good luck changing that while Hollywood sells bad boy snarky b pushy 'attitude' for billions of dollars. Gentle, steadfast, and devoted to honor and courtesy? Boring and will never see screen time.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
^^ So are you saying the dysfunctional government needs to get divorced? How would they split the "assets"?

On a serious note, I thought I heard that the behavior of a bully usually stems from home. It's probably not the only cause, but assuming it is significant how do we address it? Parents' have rights and if the bully is just sent home or even kicked out it won't stop the cycle of violence. If you tell a teacher that's just going to make it worse and if you fight it just keeps escalating.

I was bullied once, never met or even knew the guy before he targeted me. It didn't help that he was older and had several friends on the football team, so even fighting didn't stop it.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
^^ So are you saying the dysfunctional government needs to get divorced? How would they split the "assets"?

On a serious note, I thought I heard that the behavior of a bully usually stems from home. It's probably not the only cause, but assuming it is significant how do we address it? Parents' have rights and if the bully is just sent home or even kicked out it won't stop the cycle of violence. If you tell a teacher that's just going to make it worse and if you fight it just keeps escalating.

I was bullied once, never met or even knew the guy before he targeted me. It didn't help that he was older and had several friends on the football team, so even fighting didn't stop it.
You are right - it does begin at home and it is hard for the schools to completely eliminate it. I think your best actions as a parent are to help raise a strong, confident, and moral individual. Get the kids involved in their schools - the more friends a kid has - the less likely he/she is to be bullied. Bullies tend to pick on easy targets and someone surrounded with a posse of friends is NOT an easy target.

Teach your sons and daughters to stand up for what is good and right.

My son had one year (third grade) when he hated to go to school. He had ended up in a class with none of his friends AND the school bully. I met with the teacher and she was so helpful - pairing my son with a new kid that had just moved to town. She kept an eye on things; my son made new friends and the incident was over.

Work with the schools in a positive manner - volunteer your time. See what goes on. Get to know the students, teachers, and administrators. It WILL help your child.

Lastly ~ the third grade bully. I would see his parents screaming curse words at him during soccer/basketball, etc. Certainly, he was a product of his environment. He ended up dropping out of school with no high school diploma; no job . . .

Parents DO make a difference.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Thank you Dr. Icy Tea, you've just solved America's problems in schools.
Armchair psychology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies