Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,928,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
1. What's a "**** world"?

2. No one has ever referred to me as "an abortion that lived". You're confusing me with Stillwater Townie.

I think 'kook'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,038,129 times
Actually, it's about doing the smart thing, not the right thing. Nothing selfish about doing the smart thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
A real man is someone who does the right thing, whether he likes it or not, but because it IS the right thing.

A real man makes decisions based on what benefits everyone as a whole, not just himself.

A real man is able to look at his reflection in a mirror, and say, that he likes the person looking back at him.

I raised 2 daughters as a single dad. I made every decision based on what was best for them. While I had already decided I would never re-marry, I also decided that I wouldn't date while raising them. I never wanted them to think for a moment that anyone in my life, came before them in any way. The never went to jail, they don't do drugs, they are both graduates, the oldest has a college degree, Summa *** Laude.

When their mom lost everything, I let her move in MY home, not only once, but twice.. We turned the den into a bedroom for her. I was not going to let the mother of my children be homeless, a REAL MAN, doesn't do that. Just because I am upset with her, doesn't mean I make decisions based on my feelings. I did what the right thing was. I was able to look in a mirror at the end of the day, and like the person I was looking at.

So before you start making grand proclamations that no one here knows what a real man is, be sure of it.

I am NOT the only man here to believe the same was as I. Just because YOU don't see it, doesn't make what YOU believe, true.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,873,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
A real man is someone who does the right thing, whether he likes it or not, but because it IS the right thing.

A real man makes decisions based on what benefits everyone as a whole, not just himself.

A real man is able to look at his reflection in a mirror, and say, that he likes the person looking back at him.

I raised 2 daughters as a single dad. I made every decision based on what was best for them. While I had already decided I would never re-marry, I also decided that I wouldn't date while raising them. I never wanted them to think for a moment that anyone in my life, came before them in any way. The never went to jail, they don't do drugs, they are both graduates, the oldest has a college degree, Summa *** Laude.

When their mom lost everything, I let her move in MY home, not only once, but twice.. We turned the den into a bedroom for her. I was not going to let the mother of my children be homeless, a REAL MAN, doesn't do that. Just because I am upset with her, doesn't mean I make decisions based on my feelings. I did what the right thing was. I was able to look in a mirror at the end of the day, and like the person I was looking at.

So before you start making grand proclamations that no one here knows what a real man is, be sure of it.

I am NOT the only man here to believe the same was as I. Just because YOU don't see it, doesn't make what YOU believe, true.
I have custody of my two daughters.
I have supported and encouraged them to maintain a positive relationship with their mother.
About 2 years ago, their mother settled down and has been much more consistent in maintaining that relationship with her daughters. I absolutely do not speak ill of their mother but I don't make excuses for her either.

As for supporting her at this point in her life - she is no longer my responsibility by her own choice.

It is one thing to forgive another and take responsibility for what you 'own' responsibility.
It is another to walk in front of a bus then blame the bus for being a bus when it runs you over.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,572,215 times
Quote:
I do understand, JetJockey, but is it really necessary to advertise "I have a vagina"?

Yes. Yes it is.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,550,753 times
Quote:
I like to think that there are still a few good women left who don't make a habit of belittling their men and referring to them as "an abortion that lived" or the like. In fact, I know there are. But a man has to be worthy of them.
So few of them, though. I think the women on here would strongly agree with me.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
^^^ This statement makes zero sense.

It's certainly possible, but increasingly less likely. What is it about the concept of probability that's so hard for you to understand?

God - or nature, if you prefer - has tied marriage to sexual attraction, and sexual attraction to fertility. Therefore, in the grand scheme of things marriage is tied to fertility. The lack of interest that today's young men have in marriage may be rational, but it's profoundly unnatural.

That is just silly.

People, sane people, just want to rear their offspring in a safe and stable environment.

Sexual needs vary and reach their peak interest much younger than do women, but women are more fertile while younger. So if a woman married when her sexual interest was prime it would be in her thirties and to a much younger man?

Both men and women are prone to affairs, as well. How does nature advise us to handle long term relationships? A wife is not just a vehicle for sexual release for a man and should not be used that way, but they do become disinterested in the same partner.

Nature/God really made a mistake when he gave our offspring such a long developmental period OR we are just not meant to be monogamous.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM

1,137 posts, read 970,032 times
With the way men are routinely discriminated against in "family" court, there is no reason why any man should choose to get married.

Marriage is a man made prison. It goes against our very basic primal instincts.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,571,700 times
Quote:

According to a recent study by the Pew Research Center, young men have never been less interested in marriage than they are today:

"Fewer young men in the US want to get married than ever, while the desire for marriage is rising among young women ... Pew recently found that the number of women 18-34 saying that having a successful marriage is one of the most important things rose from 28 percent to 37 percent since 1997. The number of young adult men saying the same thing dropped from 35 percent to 29 percent in the same time."
Please provide a link from Pew Research that makes this claim.

As for the rest, the article's author has an agenda that has nothing to do with Pew.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
They just don't know what they want. Them being liberated is a huge contributing factor.
Wrong. A young woman with no education and no career prospects might think that the only hope of positive change in her dreary life would be marriage and a family. This is not fully thought out and she discovers later on that she made a bad decision.

She may marry because the guy makes more money than she. He thinks he has her dependent and over a barrel, that she has to put up with his bs. She discovers that she can have him gone plus alimony. It's easy.

Do not marry a dependent type of woman. Make sure she supports herself, and well. The liberated female is your friend. The old sweet and clingy old fashioned girl can be your nightmare legally.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 PM

20,622 posts, read 19,275,404 times
Quote:
Men are willing and able to engage in the trades which pay nearly as well without the debt overhead and 4-6 year hiatus. Don't see many women as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers etc. I never saw them when I was an auto jobber repairing cars. Never saw them ridding around in tool trucks. The no college option for women like hair dresser and receptionist make college much more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies