Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Wham another homer!!!Way to go Barry!

The New (Old) Payroll Tax Is Starting to Hit Hard - Yahoo! Finance

President Obama and Congress negotiated the 2 percent tax holiday in December 2010. Their hope was that extra money suddenly appearing in workers’ paychecks would get spent, boosting the economy. Neither side wanted to undercut Social Security funding, though, by making the reduction permanent—and now the result could be a form of anti-stimulus. Analysts have told Bloomberg News they expect sales at Dollar General, Family Dollar, and other stores that cater to low-income shoppers to fall as the payroll tax increase begins to take hold. It’s “like a splash of cold water,” Credit Suisse analyst Edward Kelly told Bloomberg News. “It represents a direct reduction of spending by the lower-end consumer.”
Screw those low-income households. They have too many kids; need to tighten their belts and learn how to budget; work harder and get 2nd or 3rd jobs; should have saved their money over the past 2 years instead of spending it on pizza. And that's the crup I read from liberals who put party loyalty above the interests of low and middle income working people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmm.... that's creative. Last time I checked the Dems controlled the Senate and The Idiot in the white house SIGNED the bill.......

Sorry, but he can't dodge this one.
*SIGH*

I can't believe that people are whining about the loss of a TEMPORARY tax cut that they never should've received in the first place!

You folks aren't interested in properly funding YOUR OWN insurance system?

Unreal.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM

4,151 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
It was a "holiday", not a permanent "cut". Christmas is over on December 26.

I prefer that it be rolled back permanently to the 1% that was the rate when the actual Social Security legislation was signed by FDR.
This is why you never give a new tax to the government. They all start a lower 'intro' rate and progress from there.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
It's going to be a tough year for many working families and individuals.

It's starting to make more and more sense to just go on welfare handouts --- no welfare handouts are being cut.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Obama 'Stupid People Are My Useful Idiots'...Yet these idiots will follow our Dear Marxist Leader to the end!!!!

Millions noticing paychecks lighter today, due to payroll tax hike | Fox News
This.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

I can't believe that people are whining about the loss of a TEMPORARY tax cut that they never should've received in the first place!

You folks aren't interested in properly funding YOUR OWN insurance system?

Unreal.
...pretty much sums it up.

Seriously, you're pretty much a blight on C-D.

As so many have pointed out so many freaking times, it was a temporary tax cut designed to stimulate the economy.

We're way beyond "What part of 'temporary' do you not understand?"

At this point, people who think it is an issue have demonstrated that they are totally worthless as human beings and should be taken out and garotted (no point in wasting a perfectly good bullet).

If you want to be considered at least partially human, then levy a valid criticism on The Boy King™.

Obama has repeatedly demonstrated that he does not understand the economy. Because Obama does not understand the economy, he has failed and worse than that, caused more harm than good.

The temporary FICA payroll tax cut in conjunction with the Stimulus™ was misguidedly intended to stimulate the economy. As you can see from the graph, the temporary FICA payroll tax cut an the Stimulus™ did stimulate the economy, but not enough to overcome the inertia. We can also see that the Bush Tax Cuts™ and the Unfunded Wars™ (snicker) also stimulated the economy, but again, it was not enough to overcome the inertia.

If Obama had asked me, I would have told Obama that there is nothing he can do; that his temporary FICA payroll tax cut would cause more harm than good; and that his Stimulus™ would fail.

I would have also educated Obama in the reasons why the US economy was always destined to fail. I would have told Obama that instead of trying to put out a fire in a house that has already burnt to the ground and fallen over, that he needs to step up to the plate, be the Leader™ that he pretends to be, and starting preparing Americans for when their house -- which has already burnt down and fallen over -- starts sinking into the swamp.

Look at the goddam graph.

There it is in Black & White, plain as freaking day.

The minute the Moscow Exchange opens, BAM!

That's it....game over. Sucks to be American. Like I been saying since 2007 -- you have to learn how to do less, with less. My advice, and that's all it is, get one of them plastic overlay sheets and some grease pencils to set a schedule for using the bathroom, because it can get quite hectic with two and three families having to share an apartment or house since they won't be able to afford their own private apartment or home. Or, designate a BTC -- Bathroom Traffic Controller.

Sure, the reduction in the Capital Gains Tax rates gives you a boost, but there is no way to overcome 9 Million barrels of Russian oil sold on the Global Market in Rubles, nor the millions of cubic meters in natural gas. And then Southeast Asia ramps up production. The Euro hits the Global Market. BRIC starts developing States.

Again, the Bush Tax Cuts™ and the Unfunded Wars™ (snicker) are not enough to overcome the inertia. Obama's FICA Holiday™ and Stimulus™ weren't enough either.

Look at all the money you spent, it didn't do jack squat, and now you're in the hole over your head and sinking deeper into the swamp by the minute. Go head, spend even more money -- you'll sink even faster.

The FICA Holiday™ was a very bad idea, and if your economy is using it as a crutch in any way, shape or form, well, it will end up being a very, very bad idea, because you just yanked one of the crutches out from under you ---- and you still can't even pay for Social Security through 2023-2024.

You're going to have to increase the FICA payroll tax to at least 9% (18% total for both employer and employee) if you have any hopes of not slashing Social Security benefits in about 11 years. That will cost you jobs.

Anyway, enough on the stupid temporary FICA payroll tax cut already.

And for all of you Fiscal Cliff™ whiners......I've told you repeatedly you already went over the cliff. Again, look at the graph. Now you know why.

Temporarily...

Mircea

Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I would have also educated Obama in the reasons why the US economy was always destined to fail.
In a cylical sense? Something like "nature's way" of having a "jubilee"?

Please, indulge me on this one ....

Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 AM

469 posts, read 913,017 times
FICA (AKA) Social Security was 50% increase. Went from 4.2% to 6.2% withholding.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 AM

420 posts, read 334,976 times
Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks Mr. Triple X. You're a bastion of knowledge.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's going to be a tough year for many working families and individuals.

It's starting to make more and more sense to just go on welfare handouts --- no welfare handouts are being cut.
Good idea! I'll put in my notice tomorrow. I mean, who needs $60k a year; health, dental, vision; and a 100% match 401k when I can be raking in $200 a week while watching Fox News.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
FICA (AKA) Social Security was 50% increase. Went from 4.2% to 6.2% withholding.
Yep. My insurance and 401k are deducted pre-tax, so the ending of the tax holiday is costing me about a grand this year. But I got a 4% raise, and our new insurance is one third the cost of the old, so I'll still be ahead of last year by about $2200 dollars. I see the glass as half-full. Sorry about all the pessimists out there. Your lives must really suck. Too bad, so sad. Get a better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies