U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,217,727 times

Advertisements

I was just down at the local Amvets when a fellow infantryman told me about this story. I rushed home to read about it. This has me so outraged right now after reading the article. First of all, the court needs to realize that this veteran wore the uniform. The court is ignoring this and they are not respecting this man for serving his country, especially during war time. As a 20 year veteran of the U.S. Army and who fought in fierce combat in Vietnam with the 25th Tropic Lightning Division, I disagree with this courts 3 judge panel decision. They obviously have never served in the military or they just flat out don't respect anyone who has. I mean for god sakes, this man punched a thug with his fist..........and was even 'honorably discharged' from the service. The Vietnam Navy veteran has earned his right to own a gun. The court and this country OWE it to him. This is going to far and it is highly un-American.

Veteran

Last edited by Old Army Soldier; 01-12-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM

374 posts, read 206,967 times
I'm supprized....back then that was a get out of jail ticket and pardon.

Jimi Hendrix even used it.

He got busting riding around in a stolen car a couple of times with friends and was arrested.

He joined the 101st Airborne Division and was cleared.

Seems like a good trade to me for minor stuff.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 PM

33,786 posts, read 43,470,150 times
What does wearing the uniform have to do with it? Is that some kind of magic garment that makes a sociopath into a nice guy? I served with plenty of guys who I would be happy if they never got a gun in the civilian world. I'll admit that a misdemeanor conviction 50 some years ago is pretty slim grounds for denial, but the fact that he is a vet is completely irrelevant. Sometimes the things we do as young people have ramifications all our lives - as I tell my kids.

I also think there is more to this than was presented in the known to be biased source you linked. A reasonable person would not deny this guy a shotgun purchase if there were not more here.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM

35,863 posts, read 19,345,176 times
stow your outrage, he is a regular guy like anyone else and no more heroic than a pizza delivery guy who traverses dangerous hoods to deliver the pie.

having said that he should be able to purchase a weapon like anyone else.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What does wearing the uniform have to do with it? Is that some kind of magic garment that makes a sociopath into a nice guy? I served with plenty of guys who I would be happy if they never got a gun in the civilian world. I'll admit that a misdemeanor conviction 50 some years ago is pretty slim grounds for denial, but the fact that he is a vet is completely irrelevant. Sometimes the things we do as young people have ramifications all our lives - as I tell my kids.

I also think there is more to this than was presented in the known to be biased source you linked. A reasonable person would not deny this guy a shotgun purchase if there were not more here.
What do you mean by calling the vet a sociopath? Where is your evidence?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM

6,748 posts, read 7,335,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Ponderosa didn't call this vet a sociopath.

Here's a more neutral article. The vet cannot get a gun due to a technicality of law. Respect has nothing to do with it; the courts are following the law.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,072,071 times
I have no problems preventing violent offenders from owning deadly weapons.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Respect has nothing to do with it; the courts are following the law.
I believe they should make a exception to the honorable veteran. The state has deprived this man of his right to keep and bear arms despite the fact that millions of other Americans with misdemeanor assault convictions rightfully retain their legal right to keep and bear arms. This is only the beginning. Once the full background check regime is in place, our “representatives” will tighten the noose until no one can pass a background check.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM

29,097 posts, read 23,398,772 times
Should we ban fists?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM

374 posts, read 206,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
A fist fight 40 years ago.....How retarded.

I think they should ban all these liberal whackos who have 30 grams of dope in their pocket due to their quack doctor...

No wait...they already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies