Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I like these type of groups.... so everyone else is bias but them....
Type of groups? Do you know what the Cochrane Collaboration is or does? What would their bias be as an independent non-profit group who's work is "internationally recognized as the benchmark for high quality information about the effectiveness of health care."
The Cochrane Collaboration | Working together to provide the best evidence for health care

I would think that a vaccine study funded by a vaccine manufacturer would be much more biased then an independent, non-profit reviewing the literature as a whole. You don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Wow, got a better source than natural news?
That piece is proof of the old saying in statistics: Torture your data long enough, and they'll confess to anything.

The Natural News geniuses have discovered that vaccine only makes a difference to those who are exposed to the flu, and as most aren't over the course of a winter - well, then it's somehow unfair to point out that when you compare vaccinated and unvaccinated groups, the unvaccinated consequently fall ill from the flu at a considerably higher rate.

It is akin to pointing out that the beneficial effects of seatbelts is ridiculously low, because most people don't crash in the first place and what good are seatbelts then, huh?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The attached is very long yet interesting look the flu research and the flu vaccine. The following quote is just a tiny snippet of the information contained in the link:
http://assembly.coe.int/CommitteeDoc..._statement.pdf
Quote:
After reviewing more than 40 clinical trials, it is clear that the performance of the vaccines in healthy adults is nothing to get excited about. On average, perhaps 1 adult out of a 100 vaccinated will get influenza symptoms compared to 2 out of 100 in the unvaccinated group.
A 100% higher incidence rate in the unvaccinated group would get me pretty excited.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A 100% higher incidence rate in the unvaccinated group would get me pretty excited.
I'm sure that most people would be excited by that since it would mean that the flu vaccine was VERY effective. A 1% difference is kind of a let down.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Type of groups? Do you know what the Cochrane Collaboration is or does? What would their bias be as an independent non-profit group who's work is "internationally recognized as the benchmark for high quality information about the effectiveness of health care."
The Cochrane Collaboration | Working together to provide the best evidence for health care

I would think that a vaccine study funded by a vaccine manufacturer would be much more biased then an independent, non-profit reviewing the literature as a whole. You don't?
Did you even read their link?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sure that most people would be excited by that...
Good. That's what happens. Incidence rate of flu in the unvaccinated control group is 100% higher. Those are your own figures.

Quote:
since it would mean that the flu vaccine was VERY effective.
It is.

Quote:
A 1% difference is kind of a let down.
It is not a difference of 1%, but let's not get into the difference between percentage and percentage point right now.

This is where your math fails: Using your way of figuring, if someone came up with a flu vaccine that eradicated flu outbreaks completely in the vaccinated population, it would still only make a 2% difference. (Vaccinated population: 0% got flu. Unvaccinated population: 2% got the flu.) Or, to steal a phrase: "... the performance of the vaccines in healthy adults is nothing to get excited about. On average, 0 adults out of a 100 vaccinated will get influenza symptoms compared to 2 out of 100 in the unvaccinated group."

98% of the adult population won't get the flu, vaccine or no vaccine. It's the remaining 2% we can do something for - reduce them to 1%, for instance. Which is what the vaccine does.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-31-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Did you even read their link?
Yes. Did you?

Last edited by Dorthy; 01-31-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Me thinks you're fulla poop. I have been getting the flu shot for about 20yrs and guess what? I haven't had the flu in 20 yrs, go figure!It is impossible to get the flu from the modern flu shot, either you were infected at the time of the shot and it had not taken hold yet or you got infected before the shot was able to give you immunity, about 2 weeks. I have had the flu and it was no picnic, I wil take 62% over no protection at all!
I have gotten vaccinated for most of the past 20 years, but have skipped some. I skipped getting a shot for 3 years straight, and came down with the flu twice during that period. One illness was bad- it laid me out for 9 weeks.

Once I did come down with the flu after I was vaccinated, but it was mild. That particular year developed a virus that wasn't well covered by the vaccine, but while all the folks I worked with got very sick if they didn't get a shot, mine was little more than a cold in it's severity.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Wow, got a better source than natural news?
They show their references with links if you'd take the time to read the message,.... instead of shooting the messenger.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that for about five years, my husband and I religiously got our flu shots - and eventually came down with the flue anyway.

For the past two years, we have NOT gotten the vaccine, and have NOT gotten the flu. So far so good this year. If either of us gets the flu, I will come back to the thread and eat crow.
The flu vaccine doesn't prevent the flu.

It merely stimulates your immune system which may or may not protect you.

Then your immune system is only built up against whatever strains are in the cocktail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies