Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times

Advertisements

Neti pot every day . And, gargle every day 2-3/day w/ warm salt water. 40 % decrease in URI's (upper resp. infections).
http://well.blogs.nytimescom/2010/09...er--for-colds/ (includes flu's, too) Link didn't work,but google it if interested.

Sambucol (elderberry syrup--the European one--not Sambucus) has been researced. Can find an article about it on PubMed. The effect of Sambucol, a black el... [Eur Cytokine Netw. 2001 Apr-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI Decreases flu's from 6-7 days to 2-3 days.

Flu prevention and probiotics (yogurt) People who regularly consume probiotics in yogurt have less Upper respiratory infections. http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-a...revention.aspx Punch in search for "Probiotics for flu prevention"

Don't know really why docs and the news aren't educating people about these things, too. They're not fluky, but some research behind them.

Flu shot for over 65 aren't that effective according to recent research. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/he...2flu.html?_r=0 Personal decision, not against them, esp. for people w/ pre-existing cardiac/respiratory problems. You can take a multi-pronged approach.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 01-15-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hysteria? Frenzy? The agency that monitors infectious diseases states that this flu season already has a high morbidity and mortality is hysteria? Alrighty then.

If you believe that your general health and that of your family does not warrant getting a flu vaccine, of course that is your choice. The problem lies with the fact that you can infect a person who could suffer from a more serious course of illness, such as those immunocompromised, the very young, or the elderly. That is a fact.

Katiana and I have over a half century of experience working in maternal child and public health. Feel free to diminish the work we do all you want. I honestly don't care when you insinuate that we are spreading misinformation of are "poison-peddlers", all I ask is that you get your information from a variety of sources.

Hysteria? Yes! There has been a lot of it on this thread. I was not talking about it coming from the CDC, I was talking about in regards to people on this thread telling others things like, "don't come to my BF's daughters town you unvaccinated idiots"

I have not diminished the work that YOU do. I respect traditional western medicine. It has a lot of positives, but I also see value in other fields of healthcare and one particular poster who happens to be a nurse and who was the person I was talking to has continually referred to these other fields in many other threads as quackery. I do not think that a Dr. knows everything about health, nor does a nurse or a naturopath or a chiropractor, etc. , nor does the CDC! I find the statements like, "What are YOUR credentials in the medical field?" to be very condescending. Being a medical professional in any field does not make one the end all be all expert on all things health related. I get my information from many sources, including the CDC, Dr's, nurses, nutritionists, naturopaths, etc. I'm not a one source type of gal. I can't say the same for everyone contributing to this thread.

The only thing that I have said consistently is that people should be able to decide for themselves what they choose to inject into their bodies. Not once have I said or even insinuated that the flu vaccine is poison. I have no idea why you are attributing that to me. Just because one person who doesn't want the vaccine says that, it does not mean that all people who choose to forgo the vaccine believe that.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Unfortunately in the real world what you describe is laughable. Clearly by the number of people sick (not flu-related), everyday or every year crushes your little notion that all people need to do is wash your hands and take precautions.
Clearly, by the number of people getting sick this flu season (yes flu related), despite the fact that so many people choose to get the vaccine, crushes the notion that the flu vaccine is an effective measure in eliminating the risk of contracting flu.

Quote:
Don't get the flu shot. But don't hold any notions that your doing society, yourself, or your loved ones any favors by not getting it.
Ummm, okay.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
It's lack of education, plain and simple. These folks would rather believe some natural, whole earth website with no oversight, no responsibility to facts, and no consequences to bad information.
Yep, you got me there.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Neti pot every day . And, gargle every day 2-3/day w/ warm salt water. 40 % decrease in URI's (upper resp. infections).
http://well.blogs.nytimescom/2010/09...er--for-colds/ (includes flu's, too) Link didn't work,but google it if interested.

Sambucol (elderberry syrup--the European one--not Sambucus) has been researced. Can find an article about it on PubMed. The effect of Sambucol, a black el... [Eur Cytokine Netw. 2001 Apr-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI Decreases flu's from 6-7 days to 2-3 days.

Don't know really why docs and the news aren't educating people about these things, too. They're not fluky, but some research behind them.

Flu shot for over 65 aren't that effective according to recent research. Personal decision, not against them, esp. for people w/ pre-existing cardiac/respiratory problems. You can take a multi-pronged approach.
Exactly.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Clearly, by the number of people getting sick this flu season (yes flu related), despite the fact that so many people choose to get the vaccine, crushes the notion that the flu vaccine is an effective measure in eliminating the risk of contracting flu.
Let's think about that there.... Would more people be sick this year if less people had gotten the flu?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM

112 posts, read 180,100 times
The Flu shot doesn't make you immune from getting the flu.. at the least it's an insurance policy you won't be on your ass for 5-7 days but a much lesser duration.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Let's think about that there.... Would more people be sick this year if less people had gotten the flu?
I'm going to guess that you meant to write, "flu vaccine" and not just "flu" because otherwise, your question does not make any sense at all.

The answer is, no one knows.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post

Flu shot for over 65 aren't that effective according to recent research. Personal decision, not against them, esp. for people w/ pre-existing cardiac/respiratory problems. You can take a multi-pronged approach.
There certainly are many things over the counter for flu and cold. However, fact of the matter is for the overwhelming majority of healthy people flu vaccinations offer the most bang for your buck. Eating right, exercising, and generally taking care of your body and mind will go along way. However, there are bacteria and viruses that don't give a sh*t about any of that and will put you down, sometimes for good. Vaccinations offers a particular protection that has given us humans a momentary leg up on preventable infectious diseases.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
With all the recent hype, you just might be tempted to run out and get your flu shot...

Gord5467 says:
I was with the Canadian Forces in 2009, was ordered to get the H1N1 shot (AREPANRIX by GSK GlaxoSmithKline) and had an adverse reaction to the vaccine.

I received PERMANENT neurological, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, and respiratory symptoms: dizziness, vertigo, irregular heart rhythms, shortness of breath, muscle weakness and pain, and numbness in hands and feet.

My physical fitness changed from special forces fit to that of a 70 year old in a matter of days.

In the UK, the “FINAL PUBLIC SUMMARY – UK Suspected Adverse Reaction Analysis, Swine Flu (H1N1) Vaccines – Celevanpan and Pandemrix, 26 March 2010″ details more than 8,600 suspected reactions classified into 650 reaction names.

Other information to consider is from Richard Warrington, President of the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, “Vaccination with Arepanrix has led to far more reports of anaphylaxis or significant allergic reactions than is normally expected for a flu vaccine.”

You may also ask your doctor and other Health care workers if they received the H1N1 vaccination and if they plan to remain up to date with all vaccinations.

Reports from Canada, US, India, Hong Kong and other countries note a 50% vaccination rate among those who recommend and administer the immunization.

According to Fox News “Most said they would pass on the H1N1 shot … because they were afraid of side effects and doubted how safe and effective it would be.”

I asked my doctor and he didn’t hesitate in saying “no way”. Be informed and please choose wisely if you do plan to have your next flu shot or vaccination.

foodconsumer.org - Could flu vaccine do more harm than good?
good thread.

No, never.

It compromises your immune system. Also there are other chemicals in it.

My brother is a physician and always advises against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies