Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so anyone who feels 'called" to tell a stranger they need god is just doing what's right? how would you feel if someone came up to you and told you they didn't like your lifestyle, think you would accept it because they were "called" to it. yes in a word what he did was offensive.

on another note these ladies could already know the word of god.

I guess that would also apply to people who murder and claim that they were doing what God told them to do. That they were a messenger of God. Pretty good defense: "don't kill the messenger".

Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Maybe this is the part of the Bible they were "told" condemns homosexuality.

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

- Romans 1:26-27

Romans 1
Probably. But they were 'told' incorrectly. It has nothing to do with homosexuality or homosexuals. It's not hard to see that - if a person actually reads the whole letter honestly and knows something of 1st century culture in Rome and Corinth and Paul's style of writing. Cherry picking a couple of lines completely out of context to support a prejudiced view is rather dishonest.

Early church father, St Augustine (354–430 C.E.) makes it clear that the women Paul referred to in Romans 1 were having anal sex with the men.
"But if one has relations even with one’s wife in a part of the body which was not made for begetting children, such relations are against nature and indecent. In fact, the same apostle earlier said the same thing about the women, For their women exchanged natural relations for those which are against nature (Rom 1:26).

Augustine, Marriage and Desire 20.35 (trans. Roland Teske; ed. John E Rotelle; Answer to the Pelagians, II; New York: New City Press, 1990), 75-76.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-13-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are free to say that in your opinon it is not right, but it does not change the fact that the guy was only trying to help them.

It would not offend me, especially when it is clear the intent is to help me. If a muslim told me that Christians go to hell, why should that offend me, since he is only telling me what he truly believes.
Help them with what? Did they ask for help?? Were they in distress before Bubba stuck his nose where it didn't belong?

The man is ignorant - in more ways than one. Maybe Bubba was bitten one too many times handling snakes??

Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
He was rude to paying customers who had done nothing to deserve his insults.

Odd way to do business.

He's also a huge hypocrite who misuses the Bible (which he clearly hasn't even read) against others, but doesn't follow it himself.

Nothing new about that time honored practice I suppose.
Simple solution to the problem: don't patronize this establishment. The LGBT have their own blogs and websites where they can publish critiques of establishments letting other members of their community know which are gay/lesbian friendly or not.

You might think it's a odd way of doing business, but I happen to have a gay friend who went to a well known restaurant with his friend, and they were pretty much harassed by the management. News of establishments such as these travels like wildfire, and alerts members of the LGBT community who is friendly and who is not.

In this case, this establishment shunned future customers, it's their loss. Money is still green, no matter who is spending it, and it pays the bills.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I thought I could make you understand how christians think - they love others and want to save them - just as if there were a car bomb planted in their car, but you just don't seem to be able to comprehend. Again, I am no longer a Christian, and I think he's full of crap just like you do - but you are bashing this guy whereas, in his mind, he may have been trying to help/save them. I dunno - maybe he was just being a jerk, but to make this conclusion on your part, without knowing this guys heart/mind, is rather presumptuous, to say the least.
With your car bomb analogy: anyone - regardless of their religion or beliefs, would do the same thing.

Why don't "christians" work on saving themselves? Lord knows there are plenty of them that need saving.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingTactics45 View Post
Or in other words....find us a progun Lesbian and we'll shut up. lol

That would be my sister. She has been in a relationship with her now wife for over ten years.
They reside in MA.

She's an NRA life member and is a certified CCW instructor.

Her gun collection is almost as impressive as mine.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Maybe this is the part of the Bible they were "told" condemns homosexuality.

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

- Romans 1:26-27

Romans 1
Paul was referring to Gentiles who had known his God then reverted back to their previous pagan religions worshipping fertility gods and goddesses.

Notice that first, these men and women Paul were referring to were having 'degrading' idolatrous sex with each other (males with females - Verse 24) while they were worshipping idols made in the likeness of mankind, birds, reptiles etc. (This would only be happening in the temples dedicated to fertility gods and goddesses in Corinth where Paul wrote the letter, otherwise the whole idolatry thing doesn't make sense)

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the desires of their hearts to impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. (males with females)
25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator

So it was BECAUSE these men and women were having degrading idolatrous sex with each other (ie women with men) while worshipping pagan idols that:

26 Because of this, God gave them over to dishonorable passions. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another.

Anyone who thinks this letter is about gay and lesbian people hasn't given it any thought at all and has their prejudice well in place. These were heterosexual people engaged in idolatrous sex acts with each other while worshipping their old pagan gods. Then the men 'exchanged' their 'use' of women and penetrated each other, and the women exchanged their 'natural' sex for sex 'contrary' to their nature- which was anal sex with the men (according to early church fathers like St Augustine).

Last edited by Ceist; 01-13-2013 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it's the same scenario. Who wants to tell you anything when you blow a gasket when people try to help you?
Expressing your PERSONAL religious belief without being asked is not helping anyone.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I don't suppose those of you that want to debate the religious interpretations of the right or wrong of this would hike yourselves over to the Religion forum where such a debate belongs?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He also must have selective hearing since he heard God after he took their money.
Maybe God told Bubba to keep their glasses filled with holy water and let them enjoy their meal and then pass on "His" message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies