Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

What's that all about? I just don't understand. I realize that Israel may be a good bit more dismayed about Hagel than they're letting on, but their lack of any real invective on Hagel is weird given the vitriol by the American right.

I thought this was interesting from a link i'll post:

Quote:
So far, Israeli government reaction has been minimal and mixed. Reuven Rivlin, the powerful speaker of Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, told The Associated Press he is worried about Hagel “because of his statements in the past and his stance toward Israel. But Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon, wrapping up a trip to the U.S., told a group of major Jewish organizations that he personally knew and worked with Hagel and found him to be “a decent and fair interlocutor who believes in the natural partnership between Israel and the United States.”
And this:

Quote:
[/"I do not interfere in the political appointments of the U.S. president. It is his prerogative,'' Netanyahu told Israel's Army Radio. "Congress decides and confirms, and we will work with whoever is chosen.''
And will someone please tell me what the hell is Senator Ted Cruz of Texas is talking about? Is this guy an idiot? Sure sounds like it:

Quote:
Ted Cruz, a freshman senator from Texas, said that Hagel “would make war with Iran more likely because he's too nice to Iran.”
I don't know that they hell they're drinking down in the Lone Star.

Anyway, full link.

Israel avoids public spat with Obama over Chuck Hagel defense nomination - World News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Texas Teabaggers (Cruz) are as crazy as they come. Hagel, even though initially voting for authorization to bomb Iraq, quickly turned against it when it became clear all the so-called "intelligence" was a fabricated lie, and that the deaths of Americans in Iraq was, regrettably, much like the useless waste of life he witnessed in Vietnam.

They have to find some way to attack this man, who broke a cardinal rule of the new Republican Party: Never break ranks.

Now they wish to show their fellow members what will happen if you do, and the charge is being made by the weasly Lindsey Graham and the neoconservatives BFF in John McCain.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Texas Teabaggers (Cruz) are as crazy as they come. Hagel, even though initially voting for authorization to bomb Iraq, quickly turned against it when it became clear all the so-called "intelligence" was a fabricated lie, and that the deaths of Americans in Iraq was, regrettably, much like the useless waste of life he witnessed in Vietnam.

They have to find some way to attack this man, who broke a cardinal rule of the new Republican Party: Never break ranks.

Now they wish to show their fellow members what will happen if you do, and the charge is being made by the weasly Lindsey Graham and the neoconservatives BFF in John McCain.
That's likely the reason. But i don't understand why they just won't say that instead of using Israel as an excuse to oppose him so fiercely.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM

147 posts, read 118,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's likely the reason. But i don't understand why they just won't say that instead of using Israel as an excuse to oppose him so fiercely.
They won't, and never will.
Do you think for one minute that someone like Mitch McConnell would ever openly come out and have said he dislikes Obama because he is a black man? No. He pretty much beat around the bush about it and just came out with his making Obama a one term president line, and all the other conservatives like Bachmann jumped onto the same bandwagon. They openly despise Obama but shade the reason why.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Kickinit View Post
They won't, and never will.
Do you think for one minute that someone like Mitch McConnell would ever openly come out and have said he dislikes Obama because he is a black man? No. He pretty much beat around the bush about it and just came out with his making Obama a one term president line, and all the other conservatives like Bachmann jumped onto the same bandwagon. They openly despise Obama but shade the reason why.
Well, i won't accuse McConnell of being a racist, nor do i doubt that many Republicans (but not most) dislike Obama based on his race, but i get your overarching point.

It just seems awfully weird that American conservatives are pulling the anti-semitic card when it's hard to find more than a handful of Jews willing to level such a charge at Hagel.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
American Zionists, both Jewish and Christian, have a reputation in Israel for being a bit bonkers.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM

147 posts, read 118,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, i won't accuse McConnell of being a racist, nor do i doubt that many Republicans (but not most) dislike Obama based on his race, but i get your overarching point.

It just seems awfully weird that American conservatives are pulling the anti-semitic card when it's hard to find more than a handful of Jews willing to level such a charge at Hagel.
Well, let us both put this into perspective. We know there are a small number, I will use the word minority but not reference the word minority meaning race or ethnic background. There are minorities of people, in politics, who dislike a person or certain persons for certain reasons. Although they may not state their true reasons or intentions for the dislike, there's no law that says they can't. We are left in bewilderment wondering why they oppose appointments by a president. Presently, the person who is nominated to take Geithner's position is coming under harsh criticism too. Some are saying he is a tax and spend person, which remains to be seen.

It's seeming more and more to me that the GOP is still in obstruction mode.

I don't know the political affiliations of the people opposing Hagel, but it is seeming that everything Obama is trying to do is being blocked for one reason or another. I know there's political hacks on both sides, but I fail to see why Obama is opposed at nearly every step.

I did find this article which is an interesting read.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-5-easy-steps/

Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
American Zionists, both Jewish and Christian, have a reputation in Israel for being a bit bonkers.
Christians far more so than Jewish ones.

I was saying on another thread how Glenn Beck surprised the right wingers in Israel when he opened his mouth on a visit down there. They though he sounded like a lunatic....and that's coming from lunatics. LOL

Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
The opposition likely has to do with Hagel calling out Bush and the GOP over Iraq more than anything else. However, Israel is a better talking point for the GOP than going after him for his Iraq criticism.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The opposition likely has to do with Hagel calling out Bush and the GOP over Iraq more than anything else. However, Israel is a better talking point for the GOP than going after him for his Iraq criticism.
Interesting. Why do you think that is? It would seem to me that the opposite would make more sense. His most ardent opposition regarding the war in Iraq was relative to the surge. Well, even most liberals have to admit that the surge worked in the short term.

So dredging up Israel as the linchpin for your opposition just seems silly and a much tougher case to make to the American people if you're gonna vote against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies