Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Ask yourself why are there so many Indian doctors in the US. India has some of the best medical colleges in the world. These Indian doctors have been coming to the US for decades.
You just made my argument. Why are there so many Indian doctors in the U.S.? Obviously - because they experience their fieldcraft in the best medical conditions, in the best hospitals, using the most advanced equipment, in the world. The U.S. attracts the best and brightest.

You asked...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not the doctors that are bad... it's the establishments. India is a stupid country when it comes to the value of life. They're smart over there, but don't care about others.
Maybe its that reincarnate thing they've got going over there. So you die, so what, you'll come back as a cow, lucky you.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Trust me, it's not something I want either. I'd choose my private American hospitals over anything. But the point is that tourist hospitals in India are more western than they are like the hospitals the locals go to.
That's true. But it's another lesson in "public health care" (not really synonomous with India, but this applies to other countries) - the level of service you can get free is not the same level of service you get for pay. I.e. - the poor get inadequate care wherever they are, the rich get the best.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You just made my argument. Why are there so many Indian doctors in the U.S.? Obviously - because they experience their fieldcraft in the best medical conditions, in the best hospitals, using the most advanced equipment, in the world. The U.S. attracts the best and brightest.

You asked...
Many stay behind and I've read recently many are going back to India. I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying if the country is so backward, so unfeeling for others why do they provide world class schools in this field?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I didn't realize the only way to get great healthcare was to make someone else pay for it...

Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
That's true. But it's another lesson in "public health care" (not really synonomous with India, but this applies to other countries) - the level of service you can get free is not the same level of service you get for pay. I.e. - the poor get inadequate care wherever they are, the rich get the best.
Just to put it in perspective, NJ only has private hospitals. The only exception is the hospital affiliated with a public university. We don't believe in inadequate care here. The poor get the same level of service as the rich (in terms of non-elective services).

Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Many stay behind and I've read recently many are going back to India. I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying if the country is so backward, so unfeeling for others why do they provide world class schools in this field?
People of India are not unfeeling and they are not backwards but it lacks the infrastructure to provide good medical care. This is due to overpopulation, some corruption, and just a lower standard of living. Compared to the U.S., not even mentioning Europe, they have a very inadequate level of social services and "safety nets".
They are catching up however. But the level of filth and pollution there has to be seen to be believed. I beleive like the other poster says, a westerner is open to much better healthcare then the average Indian citizen. The reason is that salaries and cost of living is so much cheaper in these developing country. You have to remember when you go to these countries to get health care from a doctor servicing western customers and ex-pats, for more revenue then they can get from their countrymen, you are taking services away from the average citizen of this country who are otherwise subject to sub-standard healthcare and doctors. Their is a social impact to these developing countries of monopolizing the best and brightest medical care.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:

You asked...
The US doesn't necessarily attract the best doctors though (I've seen both sides, across the ponds, in person). The US also has a large number of doctors in the US for another good reason: late 1960s, Medicare, rural areas. The US attraction is actually fading away (this also applies to schools), in favor of Europe and Canada, largely due to costs.

But, the few who can afford to fly over, do so, with the promise of benefiting from big profits. Remember, this is no guarantee that it is the best brains that are leaving, but the ones that can afford it.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
People of India are not unfeeling and they are not backwards but it lacks the infrastructure to provide good medical care.
Disagree completely. The people of India are selfish (individually) and completely unfeeling.

1. Take a look at their roads. They don't obey the rules and don't care for other drivers on the street.
2. Look at the trucking industry. These businesses overload under-powered 9-ton trucks with 20 tons of building material without care to the well-being of the truck driver. It's no wonder that there's a death every four minutes on the roads.
3. If there's an ambulance heading towards an injured person... half of the people won't move out of the way. There's no value for that injured person's life.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Disagree completely. The people of India are selfish (individually) and completely unfeeling.

1. Take a look at their roads. They don't obey the rules and don't care for other drivers on the street.
2. Look at the trucking industry. These businesses overload under-powered 9-ton trucks with 20 tons of building material without care to the well-being of the truck driver. It's no wonder that there's a death every four minutes on the roads.
3. If there's an ambulance heading towards an injured person... half of the people won't move out of the way. There's no value for that injured person's life.
The Indian people I have met are some of the most caring and hospitable people in the world. There are exceptions of course. India is a tough and cruel place to live for those that are not in the upper tier of society. Most people are trying to just survive. The lack of infrastructure results in a lack of enforced rules and regulations - that applies to the roads. But, I guess, what do you expect when a truck shares the road with horse and oxen drawn carts, scooters carrying entire families, and millions of 3 wheel auto rickshaws. The only thing I cannot comprehend is the incredible filth covering everything. It's like - at least make an effort to clean things.
For that matter the lack of regulations may apply to health care as well - we have the FDA (and trust me, they have teeth), what does India have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies