Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Powell has always had Palin's number--as a provincial, ignorant hick.

Powell is a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
And once again Colin Powell only speaks up after any possibility of it hurting his career are long past.
Agreed, though probably better late than never, and it is a lot bolder than his previous weak ''apologies''.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
McChrystal. And he paid for it with his career. Far more courageous than Powell in that regard.
I think that there were alot more admirals and generals that did not agree with cowboy bush and crew about Iraq and promptly retired AND than talked about what was going on. The military is bound to support their civilian bosses regardless how stupid or inept they are.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImproveDaily View Post
Again,why does this matter. Why attack Powell instead of the problem?
Because that is the republican way. Anyone who tells the truth about them is seen as a loser and idiot even when that person speaks the truth like Powell is doing.

Republicans believe that all is well in their world. That Romney didn't lose the election, it was stolen from him and that all republicans are saints.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Finally a Republican that speaks truth to power. Until Republican leaders like Powell emerge things will continue to go downhill for the GOP.
Quote from Powell:
In an appearance on Meet the Press Powell noted that there is a "dark vein of intolerance in some parts of the party."

Powell is correct of course. There IS intolerance in some parts of the GOP. The operative term though is "some".

Just as there is intolerance of "some" in the Demcatic party.

It makes debating easier, research easier, rhetoric easier, and hate easier if everyone who indicates they are part of one party or another is painted with the same brush.

Because "some" in the GOP are racist, does that make everyone in the GOP racist? Because "some" Democrats want to ban guns does that mean they all want to - and that they ALL accuse conservatives of being gun clinging, child killing, bible thumping, womb hating rednecks?

I'll answer my own question - no, it doesn't. To say that finally a Republican speaks the truth (because his statement reinforces your preconceived and simpleton generalizations about ALL conservatives, and provides you with more ammunition to score points on a message board) is a rhetorical, incorrect, too-far-reaching statement.

BTW: I caught the smiley

Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Finally a Republican that speaks truth to power. Until Republican leaders like Powell emerge things will continue to go downhill for the GOP.

Colin Powell: GOP Holds 'Dark Vein Of Intolerance' (VIDEO)
Powell is an idiot when it comes to politics.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The only thing better than hearing Colin Powell call the GOP out on their bigotry and insanity, is coming here and reading the GOP loyalists rushing to deny what everyone else knows to be obvious. It tells me that when we go into 2016, their candidates will be another bunch of clowns cheering for people with health insurance to do, booing gay soldiers, and supporting candidates who blather about how black people love being on welfare.
I do expect a few more cycles like that, in 2016, 2020, and perhaps 2024. The Establishment GOP eventually will tell the TP to become a Third Party if they wish, and at that point, the Dems and GOP will both be competitive nationally once again. The TP as a 3rd party will be a joke.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Powell is a racist.
And this is part of the reason the GOP has so much trouble with minorities......

Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Powell is a racist.
Can you prove that? If you can't, that would mean that you are lying, and you lose all credibility.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM

420 posts, read 334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This was one reason I didn't vote for John McCain during the 2008 election. He picked a lousy VP.
My experience as well. Originally, I supported McCain in 2008. I didn't like Clinton and I didn't know Obama. I supported McCain's failed bid in the 2000 primaries, and I supported him in 2008. It was his supporters that first caught my attention, notably: the woman who called Obama an Ay-rab, and the man who screamed "[Obama is] a terrorist," both at McCain rallies. Then, when he chose Palin, my first question was, "Who the hell is she?" I was still with McCain, but cautious. When she started opening her mouth is when I dumped McCain. I was left with "none of the above" as I was in 2000 as well. ("None of the above" is an actual option on ballots in Nevada.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies