Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

A Recent report from the National Academy of Sciences found that for overall health the U.S. ranks last among 16 "peer" countries in terms of overall health and life expectancy.

Countries compared were Japan, Switzerland, Australia, Italy, France, Spain, Canada, Sweden, Austria, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, Finland, United Kingdom, Portugal, Denmark,

The 400 page report explores reasons for this including include the 50 million Americans without health insurance, fewer doctors per capita, less access to primary care and fragmented management of complex chronic diseases.

It also notes that Americans eat more than any other country on earth, an average of 4000 calories a day.

What do you think is going on?

International Health Data

U.S. Ranks Below 16 Other Rich Countries In Health Report : Shots - Health News : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
What do I think is going on?

This:

Quote:
It also notes that Americans eat more than any other country on earth, an average of 4000 calories a day.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
It's mainly behavior is my guess. Food, exercise, alchohol, drugs. Link also mentions guns and sex (HIV). I look for all these kinds of behavior to be increasingly regulated in an effort to control public health care costs, thus freeing up more money for bureaucratic junkets to Honolulu.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 AM

510 posts, read 430,847 times
All the countries ranked higher than the US are either extremely WHITE and/or extremely ETHNICALLY HOMOGENOUS(Japan).

Throw 15 million poor illiterate immigrants into Sweden and see what it does to their healthcare system.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
But the new report places more stress on nonmedical shortcomings.
Many people might be surprised to learn, for instance, that for more than half the males who die before age 50, the cause of death has nothing to do with disease — and is therefore not amenable to reduction through medical care.
If you're going to lump everything together what does that really have to do with health care?

These reports become very problematic. The Infant mortality rates often are used as scapegoat but you have a couple of issues. For example the US is leader in extremely premature births and many of those babies are very sick, France and some other countries only count babies of certain weight while every baby born here is counted. Blacks have an unusually high rate of infant mortality here in the US and that doesn't just apply to poor blacks but the entire black population.

It all in the details in how these reports are compiled.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 AM

742 posts, read 678,777 times
Flouride
Harvard Study Finds Fluoride Lowers IQ - Published in Federal Gov't Journal | Reuters

High Fructose Corn Syrup
-linked to obesity Fructose linked to obesity - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
-linked to diabetes High Fructose Corn Syrup Linked To Diabetes - Prevention.com

GMOs
New Proof: GMOs Cause Tumors, Organ Damage, and Premature Death in Rats - Yahoo! News

Mercury in vaccines
Experts question proposed mercury preservative ban in vaccines

Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH)

Processed Foods

Aspartame, other artificial sweeteners

BPA

RSBV

Watch - "Food,Inc."

Lack of exercise due to sedentary lifestyles, "video games over playing outside for kids"

etc.,etc,...

Research for yourself. Decide what to do for yourself and family.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're going to lump everything together what does that really have to do with health care?

These reports become very problematic. The Infant mortality rates often are used as scapegoat but you have a couple of issues. For example the US is leader in extremely premature births and many of those babies are very sick, France and some other countries only count babies of certain weight while every baby born here is counted. Blacks have an unusually high rate of infant mortality here in the US and that doesn't just apply to poor blacks but the entire black population.

It all in the details in how these reports are compiled.
Health care is not the same as health. This report, as far as I can tell, is about the status of health overall for Americans, in terms of injury, illness, mortality.

The high infant and maternal mortality rates in the U.S. have been a long-standing problem, and as you note many factors underlie it. But one factor is prenatal care, or lack of it, and there again, health care comes into play because women who don't have health insurance may delay prenatal care. The other is nutrition. People like to think that hunger is not an issue in the U.S. but it is. Also the U.S. has the absolute worst maternity leave policies in the developed world, and I can't help but think that has an impact on maternal and baby health.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's mainly behavior is my guess. Food, exercise, alchohol, drugs. Link also mentions guns and sex (HIV). I look for all these kinds of behavior to be increasingly regulated in an effort to control public health care costs, thus freeing up more money for bureaucratic junkets to Honolulu.
One article I read suggested that some of the reasons underlying American's poor health is because America has a culture of resisting regulation and there is that spirit of "no one can tell me what to do". When it comes to one's health, that attitude is not necessarily going to lead to a healthier lifestyle.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But one factor is prenatal care, or lack of it, and there again, health care comes into play because women who don't have health insurance may delay prenatal care.
Yes, that's another one. My Mother was OB nurse and played a very large part in birthing classes going back to the 70's when they started them. One complaint she often had was the first time many of these women would see a doctor or have any contact with medical professionals was when they showed up at the hospital to give birth despite the fact there was many services available to them. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've heard.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
One article I read suggested that some of the reasons underlying American's poor health is because America has a culture of resisting regulation..........
So what would you suggest, regulate the huge chainsaw I have out in the garage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies