Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times

Advertisements

[quote=PullMyFinger;27760009]Damn, the homeowner has sat there for 50 years just waiting for a chance to kill an intruder and he missed the party. I wonder if the burglar would come back and do it again so the homeowner could kill him.

I mean it's his American right to kill intruders.[/quote]

Yes it definitely is. And your kindergarten rants do not change that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Damn, the homeowner has sat there for 50 years just waiting for a chance to kill an intruder and he missed the party. I wonder if the burglar would come back and do it again so the homeowner could kill him.

I mean it's his American right to kill intruders.
What are you cheering about?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Effectively, you're proposing stifling free speech. No, I don't think the newspaper should have done that, but remember, that is what "freedoms" entail.
I said, I don't support bans on free press or games or movies. I also don't support bans on guns, particulary a ban on a certain type of gun. I'd rather live in freedom and promote responsible use of it.

So for the first part we are in agreement.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Did you read the article?

"The elderly homeowner, who legally owns weapons, was not at home at the time of the burglary."
I did read the article, but it didn't mention how the burglars, if they used the newspaper's map to find a victim, knew that the house was unoccupied. For all they knew, Mrs. Gunowner was locked and loaded on the other side of the door.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I did read the article, but it didn't mention how the burglars, if they used the newspaper's map to find a victim, knew that the house was unoccupied. For all they knew, Mrs. Gunowner was locked and loaded on the other side of the door.
Ya think they might have rung the doorbell?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Ya think they might have rung the doorbell?
Okay - window, cat door, whatever.

The point is, unless they had thermal imaging goggles, they had no certainty that there was no one in the house. And knowing (allegedly) that there was possibly a gun in there and maybe someone to shoot it, they went in anyway.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Okay - window, cat door, whatever.

The point is, unless they had thermal imaging goggles, they had no certainty that there was no one in the house. And knowing (allegedly) that there was possibly a gun in there and maybe someone to shoot it, they went in anyway.
The crook can minimize risk by just ringing a doorbell or watching it for activity, if he's desperate he may just take his chances....the point is this - there are only 2 commodities that are more valuable used (stolen) then they are new - that's Drugs...and Guns. Stolen guns (rather than legal gun ownership) are a big problem in gun violence. For better or worse, the knowledge that there are guns in the house puts a huge target on the gun owners house, sure it's also a deterent as well, but not to a desperate crook looking for drug money.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I mean it's his American right to kill intruders.
Failed irony...yes, as a matter of speaking, it is his right to defend himself and his family from harm. Is there an argument about that? Because I would certainly like to hear it. Turning it around - is it his right to be allowed to be killed by instruders?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I said, I don't support bans on free press or games or movies. I also don't support bans on guns, particulary a ban on a certain type of gun. I'd rather live in freedom and promote responsible use of it.
Aren't you suggesting media be held accountable for what it prints/suggests, and punished if found guilty?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Aren't you suggesting media be held accountable for what it prints/suggests, and punished if found guilty?
No, I am suggesting they use their freedom and freewill to to hold themselves accountable. There are many things we might be able to legally do technically however that doesn't mean we should do it under certain circumstances.

As a example, I sometimes see people with four letter bumperstickers, it may be legal but what does it do on a positive note for society. I use "sailor language" and drop four letter words as much as anybody but there is a time and place for everything. But, I wouldn't support banning the bumpersticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies