Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
We sell and install our product line...
What product would that be? The Grocery Store Judge-O-Matic? It looks like an ordinary shopping cart, but it's built in sensors can detect the economic situation, ability to work and political affiliation of the person in line in front of you! (Rear view sensors available on the LX Model!)

And when you say "seasonal" work, that means election season, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's for unemployment, not food stamps.
With SNAP you get a renewal application in the mail at the end of either 3 or 6 months.

Previously one had to have a job to qualify for food stamps.
There were some exceptions to having a job. The exceptions were removed in 2009.

The stimulus bill expanded the program to jobless, childless people and increased the monthly payments.

Could you please show that to me, because I was on food stamps during 2009 and afterwards, and had to read through how I am qualified and continue to be qualified. It's not for unemployment, it's for food stamps, and TANF. Now with medicaid, you have to put the noncustodial parent on child support, which is new. They are cracking down harder on people on the program from my experience, and from reading up on the programs.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Truth is, i don't even believe it to begin with.

Secondly, folks need to mind their own damn business. I've asked this time and time again on C-D...why in the hell are people sticking their noses in other people's carts? And why are people watching to see how people pay for their groceries? Are they that freakin' nosy?

Some of these posters have the Gladys Kravitz Syndrome REALLY BAD!! I've NEVER paid attention to the purchases of other people. Only a real assh*le would do something like taking inventory of other people's carts.
^^This^^

Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Could you please show that to me, because I was on food stamps during 2009 and afterwards, and had to read through how I am qualified and continue to be qualified. It's not for unemployment, it's for food stamps, and TANF. Now with medicaid, you have to put the noncustodial parent on child support, which is new. They are cracking down harder on people on the program from my experience, and from reading up on the programs.

Go read the stimulus bill for the details.
Or use google to find articles on the details.

Whether or not you got the stimulus benefits would depend on when you applied..before or after the changes got enacted. I do not think they changed for people already in the program.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
It's no longer a pittance Cinebar. A single person gets $200/month now.
With your family of 4 you'd get $668/month today.
Funny how I see faux outrage from GOP posters regarding a poor family needing food.

But you have no issue with Fed bailouts and where your tax dollars go (since some of you supposedly earn six figures in your own business on this board)

AIG Sucks
AIG has borrowed about $123 billion from the Federal Reserve in the past month.

Cognitive dissonance.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM

I usually check out the food the person ahead of me is buying.
Beats staring at the ceiling while I wait.
I don't have a smart phone so I can't play games or check the screen for further orders.

I look at the people and then what they buy.
Some people are hooked on preprocessed and I figure they probably don't know how to cook.
Others are all fresh foods and organic preprocessed...the ultimate environmental yuppie.
Others buy lots of junk, soda and beer...the typical TV surfer with a loaded up coffee table of snack food.
You also have your organizational freak who arranges and rearranges their food on the belt so that all the same stuff is grouped together.
You have your limited income folks that hold back several items and ask that each item be priced first before being bought and then call it quits when they reach their dollar limit.

To me it's a pastime.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadstar View Post
maybe they bought designer clothes from a thrift shop??
Why not? I do. I got a leather jacket ($2), 2 Loft tops ($.75), a Jones New York blouse ($.25), and I've seen other things by designers that weren't a usable size or were stained. If you know where to look, you can do quite well.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Funny how I see faux outrage from GOP posters regarding a poor family needing food.

But you have no issue with Fed bailouts and where your tax dollars go (since some of you supposedly earn six figures in your own business on this board)

AIG Sucks
AIG has borrowed about $123 billion from the Federal Reserve in the past month.

Cognitive dissonance.
Go back in threads here an you'll see I was against TARP from the get go.
Government has no business in business.

You ASSume wrong here about me.

I laughed when I read about the lavish AIG parties which happened after we took over AIG.
We deserve everything coming to us for what we do in the name of "saving America".

Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Quote:
Go read the stimulus bill for the details.
Or use google to find articles on the details.

Whether or not you got the stimulus benefits would depend on when you applied..before or after the changes got enacted. I do not think they changed for people already in the program.

I was on the program sparingly, then got back on when I lost my job this year. It's the same. I just read the snap website. So how about you go and read it or go apply for it and see if you qualify then come back with what you found out about the program. Unless you have had the benefits or you work for the government specifically in this area, or cite what you say your stance is moot. One second.

FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

[RIGHT]
You are here: Home > SNAP > Applicants and Recipients
Eligibility

To see if you might be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, visit our pre-screening tool.
For households in the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia October 1, 2012 through September 30, 2013. To get SNAP benefits, households must meet certain tests, including resource and income tests:
[RIGHT]
Resources

Income

Deductions

Employment Requirements
Special Rules for Elderly or Disabled
Immigrant Eligibility
[/RIGHT]
Resources:

Households may have $2,000 in countable resources, such as a bank account, or $3250 in countable resources if at least one person is age 60 or older, or is disabled. However, certain resources are NOT counted, such as a home and lot, the resources of people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the resources of people who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF, formerly AFDC), and most retirement (pension) plans.

The procedures for handling vehicles are determined at the state level. States have the option of substituting the vehicle rules used in their TANF assistance programs for SNAP vehicle rules when it results in a lower attribution of household assets. A number of States exclude the entire value of the household’s primary vehicle as an asset. In States that count the value of vehicles, the fair market value of each licensed vehicle that is not excluded is evaluated. Currently 39 States exclude the value of all vehicles entirely. 11 States totally exclude the value of at least one vehicle per household. The 3 remaining states exempt an amount higher than the SNAP’s standard auto exemption (currently set at $4,650) from the fair market value to determine the countable resource value of a vehicle. For more information concerning State specific vehicle policy, check with the State agency that administers the SNAP program.
Income:

Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.
[LEFT](Oct. 1, 2012 through Sept. 30, 2013)[/LEFT]
Household size
Gross monthly income
(130 percent of poverty)

Net monthly income
(100 percent of poverty)

[CENTER]1 [/CENTER]
$1,211$ 931[CENTER]2 [/CENTER]
1,6401,261[CENTER]3 [/CENTER]
2,0691,591[CENTER]4 [/CENTER]
2,4981,921[CENTER]5 [/CENTER]
2,9272,251[CENTER]6 [/CENTER]
3,3562,581[CENTER]7 [/CENTER]
3,7852,911[CENTER]8 [/CENTER]
4,2143,241[CENTER]Each additional member [/CENTER]
+429+330Gross income means a household's total, nonexcluded income, before any deductions have been made. Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions.
[/RIGHT]

And right here

Generally ABAWDS between 18 and 50 who do not have any dependent children can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search. << They have to at least do job search

This requirement is waived in some locations. Not in Texas unless a specific reason
With some exceptions(The exceptions are what I stated beforehand), able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 must register for work, accept suitable employment, and take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the local office. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in disqualification from the Program.

So as I have said, could you please cite where you got your evidence from.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Why not? I do. I got a leather jacket ($2), 2 Loft tops ($.75), a Jones New York blouse ($.25), and I've seen other things by designers that weren't a usable size or were stained. If you know where to look, you can do quite well.
I stop in Goodwill all the time since it's next to Tractor Supply by me.
I've found some really good deals there and it's also a convenient place to drop off stuff I don't need or use anymore.

Dragged my son there too and he was all "Only the poor go here" attitude. Yeah..till he found something for his kitchen that was "a good deal" and new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies