Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't have to have a job anymore to get food stamps.
Another recent change.
Quote:
That's for unemployment, not food stamps.
With SNAP you get a renewal application in the mail at the end of either 3 or 6 months.

Previously one had to have a job to qualify for food stamps.
There were some exceptions to having a job. The exceptions were removed in 2009.

The stimulus bill expanded the program to jobless, childless people and increased the monthly payments.
Most people on welfare get food stamps as well.

Quote:
I usually check out the food the person ahead of me is buying.
Beats staring at the ceiling while I wait.
I don't have a smart phone so I can't play games or check the screen for further orders.

I look at the people and then what they buy.
Some people are hooked on preprocessed and I figure they probably don't know how to cook.
Others are all fresh foods and organic preprocessed...the ultimate environmental yuppie.
Others buy lots of junk, soda and beer...the typical TV surfer with a loaded up coffee table of snack food.
You also have your organizational freak who arranges and rearranges their food on the belt so that all the same stuff is grouped together.
You have your limited income folks that hold back several items and ask that each item be priced first before being bought and then call it quits when they reach their dollar limit.

To me it's a pastime.
I read the magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
OP, This is a question you must ask your boss. Sounds like you need more income judging by your first post.
I think he is his own boss. Maybe he needs a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
We don't have it in Maine, either.
Regarding Piggly-Wiggly, they used to have "Hinky-Dinky" in Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I never understood the anger over what they buy. If they get $800 do you really care if they're spending the $800 on Cheetos or organic apples? I think people just get upset that they're getting free food. I personally don't go into the grocery store peering into people's carts or watching to see the total of their bill.
I have said that so often I think I'll get blue in the face the next time. If you run out, you run out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
A mortgage includes taxes and also homeowners insurance which goes up because of Obama. Food is going to continue to rise and so will gas. The people who work for a living have to pay for all the extras including housing, health insurance, food , gas and any other thing that comes down the pike and it is all rising quickly.
All that is covered by Obama. Life is good for those who sit watching tv as they don't have to go to work for a living.
Then there are the retired ones who can't make any money on their savings because CD's and Retirement accounts give notihng back at all. One year CD pays if you are lucky to find someone to pay one quarter of one percent today.
Your mortgage payment may include taxes and insurance, but technically, all you owe the bank for the mortgage is P&I. I've known of people to refuse to pay the other in their mortgage payment (principle of the thing and all that) and the bank has gone a long with it.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
ovcatto, it's obvious they are not doing a good job buying food for themselves.
Who are these "they?"

That's all I here from right wing critics, they! Like welfare recipients are some monolithic group like the BORG!

Oh well I guess stereotypes will always trump facts:

While all segments of the U.S. population are affected by obesity, one of the common myths that exists is that all or virtually all low-income people are far more likely to be obese. In this generalization, two facts commonly are overlooked: (1) the relationship between income and weight can vary by gender, race-ethnicity, or age and (2) disparities by income seem to be weakening with time.
Relationship Between Poverty and Overweight or Obesity « Food Research & Action Center

Quote:
Honestly, what type of education does one need to know that soda and potato chips and Red Bull is not nutritious food ?
Apparently a master's degree or above since the last time I visited by daughter in collage that seemed to the main source of nutrition for most of the undergraduates that I saw.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Who are these "they?"

That's all I here from right wing critics, they! Like welfare recipients are some monolithic group like the BORG!

Oh well I guess stereotypes will always trump facts:
While all segments of the U.S. population are affected by obesity, one of the common myths that exists is that all or virtually all low-income people are far more likely to be obese. In this generalization, two facts commonly are overlooked: (1) the relationship between income and weight can vary by gender, race-ethnicity, or age and (2) disparities by income seem to be weakening with time.
Relationship Between Poverty and Overweight or Obesity « Food Research & Action Center

Apparently a master's degree or above since the last time I visited by daughter in collage that seemed to the main source of nutrition for most of the undergraduates that I saw.
I can only relate casaes I have observed.
I had one morbidly obese disabled client. He pointed out that on top of diabetes, heart disease, he had to rely on donations for food, and often the churches and food banks would give him a jar of poasta suace and a box of pasta for his meal. THis was loaded with carbs, which he had no business eating, but he could afford nothing else. THis was, as he pointed out, a common trend within the food banks so I looked into it. Pasta costs around a dollar for a box and sauce (generic) can be had for another dollar, so there is a meal for someone for $2.
Now I used to drop off food to this guy on occasion. The only time he got fresh bananas fresh green vegetables (like a salad mix) or lean meats was when I brought them to him. BUT THE POINT IS, A NUMBER OF PEOPLE COLECT FOOD WHICH IS DONATED, AND MANY PEOPLE BUY FOOD IN BULK ON A BUDGET FOR THE BEST PRICE TO DONATE. WHich means processed foods, pasta, etc, because fresh produce costs more. This does not help anyone's weight.

Also, many of the clients have a degree of disability, wherein they have limited mobility or chronic pain, making exercise difficult. Without exercise, weight control is difficult.

I do often change people's diets. And sometimes it is difficult to work within their limited means. As for overall obesity, and bad eating habits, that seems to happen everywhere from the ghetto to ocvatto's daughter's college. Bad eating habits are just that, bad habits, and those of us who know better should do better and can help those who need it.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
I usually check out the food the person ahead of me is buying.
Beats staring at the ceiling while I wait.
I don't have a smart phone so I can't play games or check the screen for further orders.

I look at the people and then what they buy.
Some people are hooked on preprocessed and I figure they probably don't know how to cook.
Others are all fresh foods and organic preprocessed...the ultimate environmental yuppie.
Others buy lots of junk, soda and beer...the typical TV surfer with a loaded up coffee table of snack food.
You also have your organizational freak who arranges and rearranges their food on the belt so that all the same stuff is grouped together.
You have your limited income folks that hold back several items and ask that each item be priced first before being bought and then call it quits when they reach their dollar limit.

To me it's a pastime.
This is probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever read. I never knew that putting my frozen food in the belt together to ensure my cereal box didn't end up wet made me an organizational freak. I always thought that grouping bleach with items like pine sol instead of raw chicken made sense.

I must be the only person at the grocery store minding my own business. I do all kinds of things when I'm in line; from thinking of upcoming trips and making mental checklists to flipping through various magazines or an Archie comic if they have one. If I have to cook I'll think about what I'm going to make for dinner based on what I just brought or what upcoming bills have to be paid. What's going on in town this weekend. Possibly birthday gifts for upcoming parties (there's always a party). A vacation I wanna go on. A car I wanna buy. This is my idle time to let my mind wander free.

The only time I actually pay attention to other people is if they're holding up the loud or doing something unusual...even then I don't try to categorize them into little boxes.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I must be the only person at the grocery store minding my own business.
No, I do as well.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, I do as well.
And me. I'm busy hyperorganizing my food on the belt.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
Very Little and most definitely. Predatory Politicians and Parasitic Population.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:

I must be the only person at the grocery store minding my own business.
I'm usually too busy being nosy... reading the National Inquirer.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
And me. I'm busy hyperorganizing my food on the belt.
Not me. I'm all chaos. lol Actually I organize according to shapes and sizes. And still I don't have any interest in what the person ahead of me is buying nor how much it costs. I'm usually thinking about what I bought and what other errands I have to do before getting home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies