Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
That's if you don't make a lot of money. It's all on your income. I only qualified for 78 bucks and I have a child.
You don't have to have a job anymore to get food stamps.
Another recent change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Could one of the cards have been her cash benefit card? Here (in Washington), I believe cash benefits are also put on a card, so perhaps she was using the cash card to pay for stuff the food stamp card couldn't - like toilet paper and shampoo.
In Texas both go on one card. My issue though is that the cashier didn't do anything.
I would have thought she would have asked for ID to check against those two cards.

Then again, I don't know if they are supposed to. I know they don't do it with medicaid cards.
We just had a woman here get in legal trouble because she was giving out her card to other people.
In a small town with limited doctors she got caught pretty quick. Well I guess "government quick" is more like it.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,803,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't have to have a job anymore to get food stamps.
Another recent change.

Not really a recent change. If you didn't have a job then that would be ok. Actually Clinton passed a law that required people to either have a job or to go to those crappy classes, search for jobs, or volunteer if you are on government assistance. Back in the day it really didn't matter. The only exception to this rule however is if you have a young child that is not in school, or if you are going to school full-time or a trade school.

But you have to do something, you just can't sit at home raking in benefits. You have to find a job, do job searches either at the workforce commission place, or volunteer at the place they put you, go to classes, and you have to record your searches as well. They will kick a person off in a heartbeat. It's not glamorous, and those that used to get away with sitting at home, cannot anymore.

You have to at least work 25 hours a week, or go to school full-time, and if you do none of that, they give you a certain amount of job contacts you must have, and if you STILL haven't found a job making at least minimum wage, or just anything, they will put you at a job like Goodwill or Salvation Army and have you do mundane things in order to keep your benefits.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,251,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In Texas both go on one card. My issue though is that the cashier didn't do anything.
I would have thought she would have asked for ID to check against those two cards.

Then again, I don't know if they are supposed to. I know they don't do it with medicaid cards.
We just had a woman here get in legal trouble because she was giving out her card to other people.
In a small town with limited doctors she got caught pretty quick. Well I guess "government quick" is more like it.
If you're able to look through the thread, I posted a EBT fraud story link that stated some stores/vendors were shut down because of the fraudulent uses of the EBT. It was about 10-15 pages back.

Quote:
Not really a recent change. If you didn't have a job then that would be ok. Actually Clinton passed a law that required people to either have a job or to go to those crappy classes, search for jobs, or volunteer if you are on government assistance. Back in the day it really didn't matter. The only exception to this rule however is if you have a young child that is not in school, or if you are going to school full-time or a trade school.

But you have to do something, you just can't sit at home raking in benefits. You have to find a job, do job searches either at the workforce commission place, or volunteer at the place they put you, go to classes, and you have to record your searches as well. They will kick a person off in a heartbeat. It's not glamorous, and those that used to get away with sitting at home, cannot anymore.

You have to at least work 25 hours a week, or go to school full-time, and if you do none of that, they give you a certain amount of job contacts you must have, and if you STILL haven't found a job making at least minimum wage, or just anything, they will put you at a job like Goodwill or Salvation Army and have you do mundane things in order to keep your benefits.
My state, Wisconsin has a program similar to that for people receiving UE benefits,
http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/w2/wisworks.htm

Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

That's for unemployment, not food stamps.
With SNAP you get a renewal application in the mail at the end of either 3 or 6 months.

Previously one had to have a job to qualify for food stamps.
There were some exceptions to having a job. The exceptions were removed in 2009.

The stimulus bill expanded the program to jobless, childless people and increased the monthly payments.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 01-16-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If you're able to look through the thread, I posted a EBT fraud story link that stated some stores/vendors were shut down because of the fraudulent uses of the EBT. It was about 10-15 pages back.

My state, Wisconsin has a program similar to that for people receiving UE benefits,
Wisconsin Works (W-2) Overview
I was just reading about SNAP and now realize why they "can't" ask for ID.
It's because homeless people don't have ID so they cannot ask for ID from anyone.

Now I understand this better. If you can't ask for ID to verify usage then no wonder why catching fraud and abuse is so hard.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the other dems and left wingers have already addressed your thread, but i have to ask. Is an EBT card just like a debt card, the government puts money on each month and it rolls over ???

if so, i have no problem with them saving a few dollars for a big meal.
Feeding four people with the $200.00 a month I got, by cooking from scratch and shopping sales and being pretty frugal (which I have always done - still do - regardless of who was paying for it), I usually had $20.00 or $30.00 left on my card at the end of the month.

So, as a once a month treat, I would pick up a "take and bake" pizza at the end of the month (since it was essentially cooked at home, you can buy those with the card - not already baked pizzas).

I know I got a few looks when I paid for those pizzas with that card, but, oh, well.......

So you never know when someone ahead of you uses a food card to buy a couple of steaks - maybe they ate Top Ramen for a week so they could get those steaks and other fixings to celebrate a birthday or anniversary.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Feeding four people with the $200.00 a month I got, by cooking from scratch and shopping sales and being pretty frugal (which I have always done - still do - regardless of who was paying for it), I usually had $20.00 or $30.00 left on my card at the end of the month.

So, as a once a month treat, I would pick up a "take and bake" pizza at the end of the month (since it was essentially cooked at home, you can buy those with the card - not already baked pizzas).

I know I got a few looks when I paid for those pizzas with that card, but, oh, well.......

So you never know when someone ahead of you uses a food card to buy a couple of steaks - maybe they ate Top Ramen for a week so they could get those steaks and other fixings to celebrate a birthday or anniversary.
It's no longer a pittance Cinebar. A single person gets $200/month now.
With your family of 4 you'd get $668/month today.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,504,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
1.) Your story didn't happen.
2.) Why are you paying for your daughter's college? She's 18. She should have gotten a full right on her merit alone. If not, let her pay for it through loans and working. You are enabling her too much.
3.) Your mortgage? Why are you struggling to pay a mortgage? You probably couldn't afford it in the first place.
4.) If someone on welfare eats better than you, you have made poor life choices.
5.) Sad stories? We don't want to hear your sad stories of people on welfare eating better than you.
6.) If you are struggling so bad, maybe you should work harder at your job for the big promotion instead of wasting time posting thread after thread on P&OC. Those TPS reports don't get filled out themselves.
7.) Stop blaming the system for your shortcomings. That sounds like the victim mentality to me.
Well said.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Many of those "leeches" have paid into the system for years as well...and many are the working poor. Not sure how you can tell the difference in the grocery line....
^^This^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies