Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 PM

606 posts, read 694,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I think there most definitely a relation between race and intelligence.

However, I wouldn't call it one race being superior to the other. I would try to explain it, but would rather not argue with the PC crowd who I've argued with before that basically say everyone is equal and unique simulataneously.

Lets just say I think all races bring forth strong and positive characteristics that do balance out as all things being equal in value to society, but not always in the same area. And for clarification I do not mean one race is smarter than another, only the areas that a race excels in may vary.
You have a point.
I never said one race is superior to the other. Being shorter or less stronger cannot make you inferior to others and being less intelligent cannot make you inferior either.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,093 times
Quote:
I think there most definitely a relation between race and intelligence.

However, I wouldn't call it one race being superior to the other. I would try to explain it, but would rather not argue with the PC crowd who I've argued with before that basically say everyone is equal and unique simulataneously.

Lets just say I think all races bring forth strong and positive characteristics that do balance out as all things being equal in value to society, but not always in the same area. And for clarification I do not mean one race is smarter than another, only the areas that a race excels in may vary.
This is what troubles me. All these studies would show are averages, and tell you nothing about individuals. Claiming one race has certain advantages over another allows people to prejudge others based solely on race when they sould focus on individuals.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,986,542 times
There's no possible way to prove or disprove it. People have been trying to "prove" differences for centuries and have been discredited because there's no foolproof way to measure intelligence, and there's no possible, humane way to remove the plethora of external and cultural factors that make studying it accurately impossible, except in the minds of those who expect and desire a certain conclusion.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:56 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,193,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
The video was removed from the but hears an excerpt from "battle of the brains."

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Grey power: Battle of the brains
Caught the program on the Discovery-Times Channel a while back. Very interesting. As it turned out - if I am not mistakened - was it not the quantum physicist and (black) dramatist who came out on top overall?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,591,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
This is what troubles me. All these studies would show are averages, and tell you nothing about individuals. Claiming one race has certain advantages over another allows people to prejudge others based solely on race when they sould focus on individuals.

And thats why I don't care to debate the specifics, and really don't think anyone should be concerned with any specifics. Any advantages in one area a particular race has over another is simply a factor of ancestral particulars. Its not that one race is inferior. Its that their survival needs differed and therefore they developed different parts of intellect in order to deal with the necessities and the struggle to survive.

That being said, I don't think any of the differences are strict rules that couldn't be broken simply by someones personal desire to acheive and excel. Which brings us back to your point that no one should be prejudged due to race as that would be very narrow minded.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,093 times
Quote:
And thats why I don't care to debate the specifics, and really don't think anyone should be concerned with any specifics. Any advantages in one area a particular race has over another is simply a factor of ancestral particulars. Its not that one race is inferior. Its that their survival needs differed and therefore they developed different parts of intellect in order to deal with the necessities and the struggle to survive.

That being said, I don't think any of the differences are strict rules that couldn't be broken simply by someones personal desire to acheive and excel. Which brings us back to your point that no one should be prejudged due to race as that would be very narrow minded.
I don't think it is a question of simple desire to acheive and excel. Some black people are brilliant, some white people are brilliant. Their being brillant doesn't have anything to do with their race, and people of their race are not brillant by association.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,591,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I don't think it is a question of simple desire to acheive and excel. Some black people are brilliant, some white people are brilliant. Their being brillant doesn't have anything to do with their race, and people of their race are not brillant by association.
Not saying their race is the factor of whether or not they are brilliant or not. Just saying the history of each race has been decidedly different and each race has had to evolve through different circumstances, meaning they have challenged different parts of their brains more extensively. Doesn't mean either is better or worse, and that is certainly not what I'm implying. What I'm saying is that its difficult to ignore that past culture of a race could have an influence on what mental skills are most sharpened in a particular race.

For a completely off base random example, lets say whites spent the next 1000 years in an environment where building things by hand was a very predominant part of the environment and something all whites had to learn to survive. Then lets say the Chinese did no building of things, but spent their entire 1000 years on agriculture and farming.

Would it not stand to reason that if you took a white child and a Chinese child born on the last day of the 1000 years and dropped them off with caretakers on a new continent, they would have different patterns of processiong information in their brain? I don't think thats at all hard to conceive, just like it isn't hard to conceive that they could still learn very well and acheive equally in life.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,085,533 times
Holy F--king hell. Some of you have no idea as to the latest studies of intelligence, race or the combination of the two.

There may be something to the correlation between genes, "intelligence," and the differences between groups of people (call it clines, or population genetics, whatever). But it's really a moot point because:

a) race as it is commonly thought of (skin color, hair type, skeletal shape) is but a social construct, not a biological or taxonomic reality.

b) blending of population groups, clines, or whatever will render such intellectual differences, if they exist, moot at this point, and certainly moreso in the future. However...

c) intellect is not and can never be purely an attribute of genes.

d) most importantly, even if there were genetic differences between peoples grouped by their skin color (and other somewhat unimportant features), does it in any way carry any sort of significance as to their rights and status as humans? Stupid people aren't (and shouldn't be) treated any different than anyone else (though sadly they often are, for various reasons).

Last edited by Anchorless; 10-18-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM

79 posts, read 208,415 times
I would suggest that Europeans are the most ignortant of all. Western "progress" is only a few hundred years old; before that, Asia and the Islamic world were leaders. Since the world has endorsed European notions of progress we have had mass exterminations of people coupled with a world wide disaster caused by western materialism where the consequences beyond immediate satisfaction means nothing.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM

56 posts, read 117,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
In order to be as much as "political right"as I can,I used the term"possible relation"instead of"relation".

On average,is it possible for Asians to be shorter than the whites? The answer is obviously yes. Why? Because different races have different genes,that means,some races are born shorter than the others on average.And the same thing applied to IQ,intelligence.

Brain is simply a part of human body,just like legs and breasts.We all know that people from some races tend to have bigger-size breasts,legs.Therefore,why should we deny the fact that there's also some possible relation between race and intelligence(or larger brains at least)?
When test were run to study the difference IQ's between native children and European children, they found that Native children were not really mentally capable to assimilate advance education in the same way as European kids. How did they find out??
In a test, they asked the two group of kids the question: If there are 12 birds on a tree and I kill one, how many birds are left? Invariably, the european kids would respond "11", and again invariably, the native kids would respond "0". Thus the study showed that native kids could not understand arithmetics and thus were mentally inferior..... OH WAIT....later on they asked the native kids why they answerd "0" even tho they would be explained the concept....and invariably again they responded "BECAUSE IF YOU SHOOT A BIRD AND KILL IT...THE REST OF THE BIRDS WILL FLY AWAY".
Right...so... first of all who is writting the exam? and who is placing a value judment on the score AND what are we all going to be tested on??

On the other hand...it has alwasy been a well known fact that Arians suck at making love and they are basicly not very sexy creatures.... in fact ..it is widely known that they might be smart with certain things, but they have small penises and that they have no idea how to keep their family together. Of course it would be absurd to think that this is just a matter of culture, it is of course a matter of genius. So....go ahead and believe you are smarter...the rest of us will be at the back seducing your women. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies