Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 PM

989 posts, read 2,757,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
In order to be as much as "political right"as I can,I used the term"possible relation"instead of"relation".

On average,is it possible for Asians to be shorter than the whites? The answer is obviously yes. Why? Because different races have different genes,that means,some races are born shorter than the others on average.And the same thing applied to IQ,intelligence.

Brain is simply a part of human body,just like legs and breasts.We all know that people from some races tend to have bigger-size breasts,legs.Therefore,why should we deny the fact that there's also some possible relation between race and intelligence(or larger brains at least)?
Do you have any evidence to back it up, or does it just come down to "gut feeling"?

Sure, Asians may get into college in greater numbers, but is that from some genetic trait or from the fact that many Asian parents say crazy things like "no video games until your homework is done"? IQ tests are not like a thermometer that you stick in your ear and get out an IQ score... they involve knowledge. How many of us would have more knowledge if we tried a little harder in school and played a little less video games and watched less TV? Would that be a change in our genetic code or our habits? They have proven that good upbringing (healthcare, good school, employed parents, etc) has a big impact regardless of genes.

Besides, scientists have not been able to even establish a firm genetic link (parent to kid or between siblings) for intelligence. For example look at the past few Presidents:

Bill Clinton (Rhodes scholar) and brother Roger Clinton (idiot)
Jimmy Carter (Nuclear Engineer) and brother Billy Carter (beer maker)
George Bush Sr and son George Jr

Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 PM

694 posts, read 2,645,887 times
Lets ask Jimmy the Greek.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,194,490 times
Size doesn't matter, its what you do with it.
You can have the largest brain in the world but if you don't use it you could come to the faulty conclusions that intelligence automatically means wisdom. Having a high IQ does not equal experience.
The only way to gain experience is by doing things and not by reading about it or pointing at your diploma.

Furthermore IQ tests should not be universal because every culture depends on other needs.
A Bush man may have no college degree but he can survive in the bush, while a college professor would likely not survive the jungle on his own without modern equipment.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:20 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,159,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
You can have the largest brain in the world but if you don't use it you could come to the faulty conclusions that intelligence automatically means wisdom. Having a high IQ does not equal experience.
The only way to gain experience is by doing things and not by reading about it or pointing at your diploma.

Furthermore IQ tests should not be universal because every culture depends on other needs.
A Bush man may have no college degree but he can survive in the bush, while a college professor would likely not survive the jungle on his own without modern equipment.
Not to mention some people just dont test well.
I myself refuse to accept race as a factor in intellegence. I instead choose to belief the culture of the home is what determines a persons ability to succeed or achieve their goals.
I have known socalled geniuses that couldn't balance acheck book. Couldn't start their car because the clutch needed to be pushed in first.
I may not be able spell worth a darn, do higher math or list the periodic table.
But I can balance my checkbook, do my own taxes and if need be survive off the land.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,027,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Damn straight: my IQ may be 135+; but in some regards, I am dumber than a box of rocks

Side note: how long would our most famous Bush man survive in the bush?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 AM

130 posts, read 146,266 times
In my opinion it is nearly impossible to measure intelligence seeing as how people can be gifted in so many ways. For instance a good friend of mine since high school barely graduated and flunked out of college. The reason for this was that when it came to studying textbooks and test taking he was awful and had no attention span. At the same time he was extremely quick witted, a musical and poetic genius, and an incredible people person. On the other hand I was always good at taking tests and studying and graduated with honors and now have my BA. However, my creative side is terrible and virtually non-existent. Looking at our credentials side by side many people would probably assume I was the more intelligent person, when this is far from the truth. There are many times I'm simply amazed at some of the incredibly creative things my friend comes up with. I know this has nothing to do with race or genetics but I just wanted to point out how these things are virtually impossible to place on some sort of scale. The human mind is simply too vast to measure.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,194,490 times
Originally Posted by Seatown206
Quote:
There are many times I'm simply amazed at some of the incredibly creative things my friend comes up with.
Well creativity is also a good indicator of intelligence. People who are very creative generally have no problem with thinking outside the box.
Einstein was not only highly intelligent, but he was also a creative thinker. He even valued his imagination (his ability to play with possibilities aka creativity) over his intelligence.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM

294 posts, read 436,737 times
this all falls into genetics. yet some get extremely butthurt over it.

generally

some races are general better athletically
some are better runnners ..again generally
some are generally more intelligent
some are generally better with certain things (engineering, art etc etc)

culture and environment will obvoisuly play a part and further blur the lines in a already broad general subject.

why is it so bad to recognize the differance? it is not saying overall any one group is inferior or superior, just recognizing fact. no amount of feel good PC correctness will change the fact, and to be honest it shouldnt really matter....

why cant we do that?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM

294 posts, read 436,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrumples View Post
I would suggest that Europeans are the most ignortant of all. Western "progress" is only a few hundred years old; before that, Asia and the Islamic world were leaders. Since the world has endorsed European notions of progress we have had mass exterminations of people coupled with a world wide disaster caused by western materialism where the consequences beyond immediate satisfaction means nothing.

some of those worlds reached there climax in the past and progressed no further since that point. whats that say?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 AM

130 posts, read 146,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie94 View Post
this all falls into genetics. yet some get extremely butthurt over it.

generally

some races are general better athletically
some are better runnners ..again generally
some are generally more intelligent
some are generally better with certain things (engineering, art etc etc)

culture and environment will obvoisuly play a part and further blur the lines in a already broad general subject.

why is it so bad to recognize the differance? it is not saying overall any one group is inferior or superior, just recognizing fact. no amount of feel good PC correctness will change the fact, and to be honest it shouldnt really matter....

why cant we do that?

What is an example of one race being genetically more intelligent than another? I would be really interested in knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies