Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 AM

651 posts, read 705,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
PPP was one of the most accurate pollsters in the november election, unlike the ultra-right wing rasmussen and unskewed polls that were so far off it was downright laughable.

Trashing the source just because you don't like the truth isn't going to change it
I am a liberal gun owner. Very Conservative on guns. I don't doubt the pole. I have never been one to discredit a source just because I don't like the outcome. But as I said above it really does not mean anything. The house will most likely block any gun laws. I think there may be a slim chance to pass a universal back ground check on all sales of guns. A lot of gun owners are for that even if like me it makes it a bit more difficult to do any transactions, if it keeps idiots from getting guns who should not have them. What comes into play is the EO. Obama is flush with winning the election and he is in a second term. The mood of the country is as you said different and wants gun control. Will he do and EO that pushes his authority? How will the country react? We will know in the next few days.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
A recent survey was conducted on the continuing gun issue and as usual, the american people support the president and the democrats, while rejecting the NRA and other hard right stances.

Since the NRA's speech after the shooting, the NRA's approval ratings have plunged by 10%. Some other results show:

Only 41% of americans support putting armed police in schools.

An even biggest blow against the NRA/hard right, only 27% support arming teachers.

While 53% support tougher gun laws

and lastly on a side note, the GOP house has caused congress to have the lowest approval ratings in US history at only 7%

Images of NRA, Congressional Republicans on the decline - Public Policy Polling

This is interesting. Look who's considering the exact same plan that the NRA proposed for school security:

Obama administration pondering plan to put armed police officers in public schools* - NY Daily News

However, those who don't support the NRA do support the guy who is considering implementation of the exact same plan that was rolled out in the speech following the shooting. This is exact type of gross ignorance that got Obama re-elected despite his never ending record of incompetence and failures. BTW: how are y'all enjoying your smaller paychecks courtesy of BHO???

Quote:
and lastly on a side note, the GOP house has caused congress to have the lowest approval ratings in US history at only 7%
It clearly has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Democrat controlled Senate and the failure to pass a budget in 4 years.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
The NRA is not as powerful in Washington as most people think. The graph below shows what per cent of the candidates that the NRA gave funds to succeeded in getting elected in the last election. As you can see, very low.

"The organization did support 27 candidates who won, and opposed 6 candidates who lost, but less than 1% of their spending went to those races, indicating they were sure bets that didn't actually require an political influence from the NRA. In the races where they did try to throw their weight around, particularly the presidential race, their record is abysmal."

NRA shooting blanks - The Maddow Blog

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm not a member of any organization (well, former Sierra Club member), but I heard Gun Owners of America are a better organization to join than the NRA.
I tend to agree. GOA has been far less willing to compromise with the gun banning idiots than the NRA.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Come get the guns

Seriously... would you feel better as a woman having to explain why you used a gun in self defense or explaining to her family why she was dead and strangled in an alley because she didn't have a right to defend herself?

Gun legislation just puts ownership restrictions on law abiding citizens, it does nothing to address criminals or the insane. Criminals will always kill.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
I am a liberal gun owner. Very Conservative on guns. I don't doubt the pole. I have never been one to discredit a source just because I don't like the outcome. But as I said above it really does not mean anything. The house will most likely block any gun laws. I think there may be a slim chance to pass a universal back ground check on all sales of guns. A lot of gun owners are for that even if like me it makes it a bit more difficult to do any transactions, if it keeps idiots from getting guns who should not have them. What comes into play is the EO. Obama is flush with winning the election and he is in a second term. The mood of the country is as you said different and wants gun control. Will he do and EO that pushes his authority? How will the country react? We will know in the next few days.
That is likely what Obama will go for is more background checks especially on mental illness. I highly doubt he will go for an outright assault weapons ban, but perhaps just to have the GOP shoot it down, and then slam the GOP for some good ol' payback fun

I've done quite a bit of research lately on the gun issue and the process of acquiring one, and am surprised at how easy it is.
While currently they do have a decent plan to background check for criminal activity, the mental illness check is extremely flawed. The only way to be rejected for mental illness is if you are found to be mentally retarded, insane, or were forcefully committed to a mental institute, and even then few institutions report the individuals to the background check list.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
I'm not an NRA member, but where I live and the people I know and associate with the opposite is true. People are bashing Obama and supporting gun ownership, (not necessarily the NRA), in droves.
Here's my message to the anti-gunners, you can have mine bullets first!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is interesting. Look who's considering the exact same plan that the NRA proposed for school security:

Obama administration pondering plan to put armed police officers in public schools* - NY Daily News

However, those who don't support the NRA do support the guy who is considering implementation of the exact same plan that was rolled out in the speech following the shooting. This is exact type of gross ignorance that got Obama re-elected despite his never ending record of incompetence and failures. BTW: how are y'all enjoying your smaller paychecks courtesy of BHO???

It clearly has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Democrat controlled Senate and the failure to pass a budget in 4 years.
Thanks for posting, Mr. Hannity. Everything in your post is wrong. Nothing really more to say about it than that.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Here's my message to the anti-gunners, you can have mine bullets first!
Another gun nut openly advocating violence against fellow Americans. Keep it up, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
A recent survey was conducted on the continuing gun issue and as usual, the american people support the president and the democrats, while rejecting the NRA and other hard right stances.

Since the NRA's speech after the shooting, the NRA's approval ratings have plunged by 10%. Some other results show:

Only 41% of americans support putting armed police in schools.

An even biggest blow against the NRA/hard right, only 27% support arming teachers.

While 53% support tougher gun laws

Images of NRA, Congressional Republicans on the decline - Public Policy Polling
Thats rather interesting given the increase in NRA membership.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies