Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Six pages (and counting) of gun nutters fuming and frothing at the mouth. What fun! I'd throw some peanuts through the bars if I could.
Well I'll say this. Obviously you are happy with a legislation like this even if it won't make things safer (and it won't) and that you are happy to take a stab at gun owners anyway you can get away with. Ok, fine, I know there are people like you out there, some of them are named Feinstein, Cuomo, Biden and such.

But to you I say good luck enforcing and upholding your draconian laws, even most everyday police officers don't agree with you which why the anti gun people like you seek out fellow anti gun mayors and chiefs to quote instead.

Good luck to you and your "common sense" because your "common sense just made many ordinary people with no harmful intentions defacto criminals. I doubt they are going to let that go unchallenged and will either leave your state leaving you less citizens to pay your taxes and or vote your type out in response.

It also proves that anti gunners like you don't care about sports use or hunting (because NY just banned many of that type also in the wording) or for the 2nd amendment and even while you mutter that you do support to try and convince others you do with a two face, your actions and legal writing of legislation speaks otherwise and exposes what is really your intention.

And Cuomo taking a back door in the night push for this also speaks volumes which you probably applaud also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM

518 posts, read 406,698 times
I'm basically for gun regulation, but this law is not going to do anything, and there's nothing I dislike more than symbolic and hyper-emotional legislation. I can appreciate the spirit in which the law was made, but I've been saying it for a while: guns are a federal problem, not a state problem. The Constitution is somewhat antiquated and consequently makes a national response to this problem complicated, but it is what it is.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
So I guess all LEOs in NY will be issued 6-shot revolvers as standard firearms now? Has the NYC FBI Field Office bought in on this? Will they be required to sell their higher capacity mags on eBay along with everyone else?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
how odd. I'm a law abiding citizen residing in Texas. In New York, I'm a criminal.

What a shame, I really wanted to Visit New York at some point in my life. But I get the distinct impression they don't want me or my money there.
I guess you never travel anywhere by air, since the airlines don't welcome your guns.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
"An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge."

Is this some kind of joke? Are they going to start searching magazines to see if folks have more than seven rounds in them? This will surely deter a criminal from loading a magazine full of ammo. How absolutely stupid are these people and they still sit their and make the claim it is due to the shooting in Conn when all this nonsense they are pulling would do NOTHING to prevent another one. Oh wait the killer could be fined an extra 200 bucks if they find a clip with more than 7 rounds in it after he's done shooting.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Soooooo, now you are relegated to 7 rounds in the mag (older 1911s and even some newer ones), most compact 9s, 380s, 32s and even the Smith and Wesson model 686 plus (hint hint) in .357...against? Well thanks to Tupac and all HIS hood movies,

I have yet to see his ilk with LESS than a 9mm or 40 with 17 or 15 rounds respectively....

In a gunfight, what would you rather have.....7 rounds or 17?? Hmmmmmm, isnt this the reason the market responded and WENT to 17 rounds??? Just a thought....and now, you have 7 whacks and either run or learn real, real quick how to reload like Wyatt Earp.....

So, are all of our .22s now suddenly outlawed (Ruger 10/22, 10 shot rotary mag)? Ruger Mark II and Mark IIIs?? Browning Buckmarks? This is getting funny.....who voted for this ***??

Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
, but this law is not going to do anything
Oh it will do something...

It will take a jab at ordinary gun owners.
It will make many of them criminals
It will make a percentage leave the state
It will create need for more taxes to try to regulate this
It will create demand for more money for the criminal system to punish many of those ordinary people
It will decrease the taxes collected as more people leave the state, but real thug criminals not paying stay anyway
It will increase the burden to fill welfare needs as more tax payers leave the state
It will decrease the amount real criminals are punished as enforcement is deviated to this new law
It will give more work to lawyers, making their profit increase

Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It will decrease the taxes collected as more people leave the state, but real thug criminals not paying stay anyway
It will increase the burden to fill welfare needs as more tax payers leave the state
Who would notice? Wall St is expecting a few excellent years, and finance jobs drive the ultra high GDP NY State via the even higher per capita GDP NYC.

It does have a benefit for the rural areas, as the urban area's tremendous wealth creation subsidizes rural America, with it's typically below US median GDP and income per capita.

If some of the rural regions of NY lost population, economically, it would further strengthen New York.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Soooooo, now you are relegated to 7 rounds in the mag (older 1911s and even some newer ones), most compact 9s, 380s, 32s and even the Smith and Wesson model 686 plus (hint hint) in .357...against? Well thanks to Tupac and all HIS hood movies,

I have yet to see his ilk with LESS than a 9mm or 40 with 17 or 15 rounds respectively....

In a gunfight, what would you rather have.....7 rounds or 17?? Hmmmmmm, isnt this the reason the market responded and WENT to 17 rounds??? Just a thought....and now, you have 7 whacks and either run or learn real, real quick how to reload like Wyatt Earp.....

So, are all of our .22s now suddenly outlawed (Ruger 10/22, 10 shot rotary mag)? Ruger Mark II and Mark IIIs?? Browning Buckmarks? This is getting funny.....who voted for this ***??

The wording is in lawyer wording, hard to understand it all but check it out this clause...this is the trickery they use...

(VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
FIREARM

That could mean any firearm out there that there is a a full automatic counterpart is illegal. For example there is a full auto version of a Glock, so in their wording a semi auto Glock is now illegal even besides if you can get a 7 round magazine for it.

S2230-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Enacts the NY SAFE Act of 2013 - New York State Senate

(A) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:

(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF
THE WEAPON;
(III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(IV) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(V) A BAYONET MOUNT;
(VI) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, MUZZLE COMPENSATOR, OR THREADED
BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, OR
MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;
(VII) A GRENADE LAUNCHER;

B) A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
CHARACTERISTICS:

(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(IV) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF SEVEN ROUNDS;
(V) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE; OR

(C) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:

(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(IV) CAPACITY TO ACCEPT AN AMMUNITION MAGAZINE THAT ATTACHES TO THE
PISTOL OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP;
(V) A THREADED BARREL CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A BARREL EXTENDER, FLASH
SUPPRESSOR, FORWARD HANDGRIP, OR SILENCER;
(VI) A SHROUD THAT IS ATTACHED TO, OR PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY ENCIR
CLES, THE BARREL AND THAT PERMITS THE SHOOTER TO HOLD THE FIREARM WITH
THE NON-TRIGGER HAND WITHOUT BEING BURNED;
(VII) A MANUFACTURED WEIGHT OF FIFTY OUNCES OR MORE WHEN THE PISTOL IS
UNLOADED; OR
(VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
FIREARM;

(D) A REVOLVING CYLINDER SHOTGUN;

(E) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE, A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN OR A SEMIAUTOMATIC
PISTOL OR WEAPON DEFINED IN SUBPARAGRAPH (V) OF PARAGRAPH (E) OF SUBDI
VISION TWENTY-TWO OF SECTION 265.00 OF THIS CHAPTER AS ADDED BY CHAPTER
ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY-NINE OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND AND OTHERWISE
LAWFULLY POSSESSED PURSUANT TO SUCH CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND
PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER FOURTEENTH, NINETEEN HUNDRED NINETY-FOUR;

(F) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE, A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN OR A SEMIAUTOMATIC
PISTOL OR WEAPON DEFINED IN PARAGRAPH (A), (B) OR (C) OF THIS SUBDIVI
SION, POSSESSED PRIOR TO THE DATE OF ENACTMENT OF THE CHAPTER OF THE
LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED THIS PARAGRAPH;

Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wildlife doesn't vote, and those few urbanites are part of the vast majority or people who live within greater metropolitan regions, either in cities or ring suburbs.
Yeah, I figured that out. Real shocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes, geographical majority is a laughable concept. It never matters in a one person, one vote democracy, and it never will.
Which to me seems idiotic. A couple million people in a big city decide what happens to a smaller group of people hundreds of miles away.

In fact, most of our system is set up to avoid this very problem at least on a federal level. Laughable concept indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies