Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times

Advertisements

For those who didn't hear yet, Reagan is dead.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Haven't seen too many conservatives trash Victoria Jackson, is it because she does her homework?

VICTORIA JACKSON IS BAT**** CRAZY - MARCH 2010 - mccainisthrough - YouTube
More likely because no one pays any attention to her.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Unions were much more militant in the past than they are today. That is a fact.

So you dislike unions made up of teachers and auto makers, but are ok with unions made up of Hollywood actors? Seems rather snobby if you ask me.
hmm.... im pretty much opposed to Hollywierd with or without actors these days... that is a far cry from the days of John Wayne and (with hand over heart) Uncle Ronnie....

The union i most oppose is the one with the guy that stuck a loaded shotgun in my dads belly back in the 60s before I was born... yea they were a bit more militant...

Glad my dad was a very bad to the bone yet solidly honest lawman. Dad survived ergo I exist...

I dont support public unions based on the same ideas that led Franklin Roosevelt to oppose them.

I oppose certain aspects of private sector unions where they cause business expenditures to exceed revenue needed for the business to survive. I fully support the right of workers to organize. I fully support the right of business owners to stand up to them.

what else?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Nice collection of half truths. Reagan did sometimes back gun control, but the gun control debate then was not quite what it is now. Reagan, much like Jefferson re slavery, had a mixed record on gun rights. He spoke passionately for gun rights, but at times took positions that seemed to belie his rhetoric.

In 1933 as a young sports reporter, he actually used a gun to stop a mugging in progress.
Reagan Was Hero To Iowa Woman | KCCI Home - KCCI Home

Most of us on the right do not "despise unions." What we despise are abusive activites by unions, especially public sector unions. But the right generally still supports freedom of association. Invariably it is the left that does not.

Similarly most of us do not deny the right of celebrities to get involved in politics. It's just a lil more complicated than that. We don't like it when Hollywood-types speak out on politics and take advantage of their platform without having a clue what they're talking about, and without doing their homework. Ronald Reagan was a guy who did his homework. Rosie O'Donnell, Spike Lee, Kanye West, etc--not so much.
So why did Reagan want to strip away the rights of others to carry loaded weapons in public. Gun control for the masses but not for him I see.

Conservatives goinng into politics is fine, but liberals doing it is bad.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
So why did Reagan want to strip away the rights of others to carry loaded weapons in public. Gun control for the masses but not for him I see.

I dunno, you tell me? I think Reagan was just short-sighted when it came to this issue, and it was not one that he had to spend a lot of time on. If he had come along 20 years later, it might have been a different story. It just goes to show, just as with Jefferson and slavery, great men are nonetheless mortals, and have their blind spots too.

By the same token, why is a group like the NAACP so ardently anti-gun rights, when the gun played such a big role in the civil rights struggle going back to Harriet Tubman and her rifle, and on up to Robert F Williams and his Walther.
Google Image Result for http://www.sea-urchin.net/buggers/pics/will2.gif

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I dunno, you tell me? I think Reagan was just short-sighted when it came to this issue, and it was not one that he had to spend a lot of time on. If he had come along 20 years later, it might have been a different story. It just goes to show, just as with Jefferson and slavery, great men are nonetheless mortals, and have their blind spots too.

By the same token, why is a group like the NAACP so ardently anti-gun rights, when the gun played such a big role in the civil rights struggle going back to Harriet Tubman and her rifle, and on up to Robert F Williams and his Walther.
Google Image Result for http://www.sea-urchin.net/buggers/pics/will2.gif
Reagan enacting tough gun control laws is short sightedness, Obama not enacting gun control laws is tyranical.

Republican celebrities like Ted Nugent, Hank Williams Jr. Victoria Jackson, Clint Eastwood spouting politics is good, liberal celebrities doing it is evil

Old 01-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Some more interesting factoids about Ronald Reagan... According to A Patriot's History of the United States,by Larry Schweikart, Reagan was the only US prez ever to lead a college student protest march. As a student at Eureka College, he led a protest to have some fired instructors reinstated, and apparently the effort was a success.

Also Reagan resigned from Lakeside Country Club in LA after he found out that the club did not admit Jews. And he did this long before this was the fashionable thing to do.

I remember hearing Mike Reagan tell another story about RWR's college days. Reagan was on the football team, and a local restaurant owner offered all team members a free steak dinner after a big win. But one of the team members was black, and the steak dinner offer wasn't extended to blacks. Ronald Reagan decided that either all team members would dine, or none would. They left with no free steak dinner. Again, this was long before such a stand was fashionable.

Yet even today lefties will accuse Reagan of being racist due to his support for states' rights. Go figure.

Last edited by wutitiz; 01-16-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:

As President, Reagan never advocated any policy or supported any legislation that stripped citizens of gun rights. He did sign the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, which removed restrictions that were considered unconstitutional, and for which he received some criticism because it contained the Hughes amendment, outlawing machine guns that weren't registered by a certain date.

After his presidency, he did speak in favor of two gun control measures. I'm not sure why he did such a thing. Some have suggested that his increasing senility was a factor.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Reagan enacting tough gun control laws is short sightedness, Obama not enacting gun control laws is tyranical.

Republican celebrities like Ted Nugent, Hank Williams Jr. Victoria Jackson, Clint Eastwood spouting politics is good, liberal celebrities doing it is evil

Except that Reagan did not enact any tough gun control laws, did he? Last time Nugent spouted off, I posted that it is time for him to sit down & shut up. I can't remember exactly what he said, but just that he later blamed a kidney stone.

Again by the same token, when Spike Lee says that he looks "daggers" at any inter-racial couple, and when he tweets George Zimmerman's (wrong) address in apparent hopes that violence will ensue, it's glossed over by the left. He goes on to host an Obama fundraiser, and is feted as a big hero at the Dem convention.
Spike Lee Hosts President Obama Fundraiser, Tweets Photos & Commentary
What is your take on that, Don Draper?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Except that Reagan did not enact any tough gun control laws, did he? Last time Nugent spouted off, I posted that it is time for him to sit down & shut up. I can't remember exactly what he said, but just that he later blamed a kidney stone.

Again by the same token, when Spike Lee says that he looks "daggers" at any inter-racial couple, and when he tweets George Zimmerman's (wrong) address in apparent hopes that violence will ensue, it's glossed over by the left. He goes on to host an Obama fundraiser, and is feted as a big hero at the Dem convention.
Spike Lee Hosts President Obama Fundraiser, Tweets Photos & Commentary
What is your take on that, Don Draper?
I think Spike Lee is a fool and I don't take him serious. Reagan not only advocated for tough gun laws, he also enacted tough gun laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies