Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

.....uh, well not really. But more than a few fans of Big Oil/Big Energy seem to think so. Ran across this story this morning.

EPA's Water Contamination Investigation Halted In Texas After Range Resources Protest

This excerpt was interesting:

Quote:
Now a confidential report obtained by The Associated Press and interviews with company representatives show that the EPA had scientific evidence against the driller, Range Resources, but changed course after the company threatened not to cooperate with a national study into a common form of drilling called hydraulic fracturing. Regulators set aside an analysis that concluded the drilling could have been to blame for the contamination.
Wow..so much for Obama's Nazi EPA...you know, the one that won't allow drillers to do whatever the hell they want.

I thought this was even more interesting:

Quote:
The case isn't the first in which the EPA initially linked a hydraulic fracturing operation to water contamination and then softened its position after the industry protested.

A similar dispute unfolded in west-central Wyoming in late 2011, when the EPA released an initial report that showed hydraulic fracturing could have contaminated groundwater. After industry and GOP leaders went on the attack, the agency said it had decided to do more testing. It has yet to announce a final conclusion.
Whuuup....there goes that Nazi EPA again, coming down hard on another drilling company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Well, it's a strawman to state that any group or company etc. will always do the right thing. I'm not given enough info to come to a conclusion here but I think we can all agree that there are oil companies causing problems *somewhere* if not in these examples.

What I'm seeing are a mere 2 EPA studies that found:
Quote:
could have been to blame
Quote:
initial report that showed hydraulic fracturing could have contaminated groundwater
Now I do 100% agree with you that Obama is not an EPA nazi....but this looks to be a sloppy, somewhat partisan stab by Huffpo.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
why do you think there would be no regulation without an EPA?
State and local guv can police their own environments much better than a central bureaucracy in far a way Washington.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
why do you think there would be no regulation without an EPA?
State and local guv can police their own environments much better than a central bureaucracy in far a way Washington.
Actually, states can't.

Quote:
1970 – Journalist and Riverkeeper Founder, Bob Boyle, has 5 striped bass from the Hudson River near Verplanck tested for pollutants. The results show abnormally high levels of PCBs. Boyle shares findings with the NY State DEC Fisheries Director. The findings are suppressed.
States cannot be trusted when it comes to policing big industry.

Hudson River PCBs | Riverkeeper

General Electric stalled for many years.

Quote:
2001 – GE files a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the Superfund law. A federal judge throws out the suit in 2003. GE appeals and in 2004, a federal Court of Appeals reverses the ruling and sends the case back to the district court for a hearing on the merits of GE’s claim.
FRACKING VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtDtAX97qJU

Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, it's a strawman to state that any group or company etc. will always do the right thing. I'm not given enough info to come to a conclusion here but I think we can all agree that there are oil companies causing problems *somewhere* if not in these examples.

What I'm seeing are a mere 2 EPA studies that found:

Now I do 100% agree with you that Obama is not an EPA nazi....but this looks to be a sloppy, somewhat partisan stab by Huffpo.
Actually, the exaggerated strawman (built for semi-comedic effect) was my doing...not Huffpo's...in response to another argument I had with a few C-D Texans that seemed to be making a case that unregulated fracking was a good thing.

Personally, I think the Huffpo piece is quite fair and makes it clear that they aren't going after the whole industry. I think the overriding point is that the EPA is easily bullied regardless of right wing claims to the contrary.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, the exaggerated strawman (built for semi-comedic effect) was my doing...not Huffpo's...in response to another argument I had with a few C-D Texans that seemed to be making a case that unregulated fracking was a good thing.

Personally, I think the Huffpo piece is quite fair and makes it clear that they aren't going after the whole industry. I think the overriding point is that the EPA is easily bullied regardless of right wing claims to the contrary.
After watching a man light his cigarette with gas coming from fracking liquid, I was a bit shocked. After finding out what it does to domestic water wells makes the practice even worse. How is someone supposed to bathe, wash clothing or dishes in that?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
After watching a man light his cigarette with gas coming from fracking liquid, I was a bit shocked.
Ahh yes the water on fire bit, the most sensationalistic piece of video used by the anti fracking crowd. The only trouble there is in every instance where this has occured there is historical documentation it has always occurred. There is place in NY called Burning Springs, how is it you think it got that name? As far as the Gasland goes the director of that movie knew about the historical documentation yet fails to mention it. Do you enjoy being lied to and taking it hook line and sinker? Here he is admitting it:

Gasland director hides full facts - YouTube

Quote:
After finding out what it does to domestic water wells makes the practice even worse. How is someone supposed to bathe, wash clothing or dishes in that?
These wells are drilled through the water table and thousands of feet below it. Granted that intial drilling can effect water and something like a cracked casing could pollute that water. Having said that if there was no environmental laws and hey were going to drill without regards to the environment the companies economic interest here dictates they don't want that to happen.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
After watching a man light his cigarette with gas coming from fracking liquid, I was a bit shocked. After finding out what it does to domestic water wells makes the practice even worse. How is someone supposed to bathe, wash clothing or dishes in that?
I have no idea. That whole practice is nasty. I would never feel safe living near it.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ahh yes the water on fire bit, the most sensationalistic piece of video used by the anti fracking crowd. The only trouble there is in every instance where this has occured there is historical documentation it has always occurred. There is place in NY called Burning Springs, how is it you think it got that name? As far as the Gasland goes the director of that movie knew about the historical documentation yet fails to mention it. Do you enjoy being lied to and taking it hook line and sinker? Here he is admitting it:

Gasland director hides full facts - YouTube

These wells are drilled through the water table and thousands of feet below it. Granted that intial drilling can effect water and something like a cracked casing could pollute that water. Having said that if there was no environmental laws and hey were going to drill without regards to the environment the companies economic interest here dictates they don't want that to happen.
Sure pal. More tales from "Life Inside of an Ayn Rand Novel."

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sure pal. More tales from "Life Inside of an Ayn Rand Novel."
If you want to have a rational and educated discussion about this you'll have to point out what it is you find wrong with what I have posted.

Are you suggesting the Gasland director hasn't purposely supprssed that information when creating his movie?

It's not within the economic interests of a the gas company to drill a stable well?

Explain yourself instead of trying to insult, it just makes you look foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies