Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I am a liberal, pro choice, pro gay marriage, voted for Barack in 2012, Pro UHC, so on and so forth and I have been called a "House negro"
I'm sure you have...

Quote:
so what is your point ? Also, do you know what the phrase Uncle tom means ?
My point is that people have indeed claimed that black conservatives aren't real blacks as per the question.

What is YOUR point?

And who hasn't read Uncle Tom's Cabin and doesn't know what the phrase means vs how it is used. Seriously... What kind of question is that?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I'm sure you have...

My point is that people have indeed claimed that black conservatives aren't real blacks as per the question.

What is YOUR point?

And who hasn't read Uncle Tom's Cabin and doesn't know what the phrase means vs how it is used. Seriously... What kind of question is that?
House negro and Uncle tom do not signify that someone is not a real black person.

Uncle tom signifies an african american willing to betray those of their own race to please someone of another race.

the way you are interpreting that phrase is misguided.

You seem to be seeing it as " all black republicans are seen as Uncle toms".

Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
You are definitely voting for the party of entitlements and handouts but that is beside the point.

You use slave terminology to try to keep other black people in line. It is disgusting and an embarrassment.

My father warned me about people like you. He said, "When you choose your own path and succeed, when you think your own thoughts, the no account, useless negroes (old school black father ) that never will amount to anything will try to reach up and pull you back down with them. They think that because they are a waste of good air everyone else must be too. They'll reach up like crabs in a barrel. As soon as you are about to escape they will pull you back down."

Dude... Don't be a mother******* crab or a no account negro.

As my grandmother would say... "You need Jesus boy..."

[Tube]
You can keep your Jesus. You need him a lot more than I ever will.

Oh...and sorry for touching a nerve.

Quote:
That too...

And from a person living in a city of handouts... Detroit... America's underclass factory.

What was it? Only 7% of Detroit 8th graders are grade level proficient at reading and 4% at math?

Hello freshman underclass of America...

Pfffttt....

Source: Only 7% of Detroit Public-School 8th Graders Proficient in Reading | CNS News Mobile
Uhhhh....I'm from Cochise County, Arizona. That's about 2300 miles from Detroit.

Not too bright, are ya?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
House negro and Uncle tom do not signify that someone is not a real black person.

Uncle tom signifies an african american willing to betray those of their own race to please someone of another race.

Um Black Conservatives are called, and described as being "Uncle Toms" and "sellouts" for simply what liberal blacks view as being against their agenda. To be a black conservative is to be an "uncle tom" or a "sell out" and therefore "betray those of their own race to please someone of another race" (see post #4 as someone else mentioned earlier).

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I am aware of what it means.

Quote:

The way others have used it is that they are not "one of us."

Which implies they are not real black people.

And as a side note. The insult "not really black people" is commonly used as a step beyond, but of the same class, as a house negro or uncle tom.

However, you seem unaware of who Uncle Tom was or the significance of the story..

Uncle Tom refused to beat another slave, when ordered by the plantation master, so he was beaten. Then he refused to runaway with said slave because he wanted to stay and help the other slaves. When the aforementioned slave ran away Uncle Tom was questioned and refused to turn in the slave and was beaten so badly he died.

Black people using the phrase "Uncle Tom" to signify a race traitor is the height of ignorance and stupidity. The more they use it the more embarrassed I become...

Harriet Beecher Stowe would be rolling in her grave...

Or is my "understanding" of the historical origins vs the current corrupted usage "misguided?"

Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I am aware of what it means.

The way others have used it is that they are not "one of us."

Which implies they are not real black people.

And as a side note. The insult "not really black people" is commonly used as a step beyond, but of the same class, as a house negro or uncle tom.

However, you seem unaware of who Uncle Tom was or the significance of the story..
I am not unaware of this, There is a difference between the use of the phrase and the character itself. Which is the bigger point I was making.

The part before that about "not really black" being a step beyond proves my point, those phrases are not one in the same, and they are not interchangeable, they mean different things.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
, and they are not interchangeable, they mean different things.
Not how certain people have been using them...

Not my fault they are using them incorrectly.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Um Black Conservatives are called, and described as being "Uncle Toms" and "sellouts" for simply what liberal blacks view as being against their agenda. To be a black conservative is to be an "uncle tom" or a "sell out" and therefore "betray those of their own race to please someone of another race" (see post #4 as someone else mentioned earlier).
No, sellout and Uncle tom are interchangeable, but to be Black and conservative is not interchangeable with an Uncle tom. You can be a "Michael Steele" and not be seen in the same light as a "Herman Cain"

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Not how certain people have been using them...

Not my fault they are using them incorrectly.
I havent seen every single post on this site, so i can neither confirm or deny that, but i havent seen anyone use it in the way you are claiming.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I havent seen every single post on this site, so i can neither confirm or deny that, but i havent seen anyone use it in the way you are claiming.
Well... Then since YOU haven't seen it...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies