Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,844,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“Gang violence was here before rap music,” said David Banner, a rapper who records for Universal Music and whose real name is Levell Crump. “I can admit that there are some problems in hip-hop, but it is only a reflection of what is taking place in our society. Hip-hop is sick because America is sick.”
Part of the reason America is sick is that we have decided to accept our own sickness and excuse its glorification in exchange for a few bucks. Our inability or unwillingness to draw certain lines between right and wrong is its own sickness in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,053,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Part of the reason America is sick is that we have decided to accept our own sickness and excuse its glorification in exchange for a few bucks. Our inability or unwillingness to draw certain lines between right and wrong is its own sickness in itself.
The music is singing about what men have been singing for ages:

Fighting
Women
Money

It's time we stop pretending to be offended.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The music is singing about what men have been singing for ages:

Fighting
Women
Money

It's time we stop pretending to be offended.
Fabrication. Popular music now is not what it was 50 years ago. Not even close.

Moral relativism be damned. That's what's at the core of the sickness I was referring to.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Fabrication. Popular music now is not what it was 50 years ago. Not even close.

Moral relativism be damned. That's what's at the core of the sickness I was referring to.
I'm not talking just 50 years, I've talking about since men have been walking this earth. Those 3 topics are the core to every man's sense of his role whether he comes to terms with it or not.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking just 50 years, I've talking about since men have been walking this earth. Those 3 topics are the core to every man's sense of his role whether he comes to terms with it or not.
That's what you call moral relativism. It does not concern me.

Speak for yourself. There is nothing in my sense of role about selling drugs and shooting people.

It's garbage, and it glorifies stupidity and destructive behavior.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
That's what you call moral relativism. It does not concern me.

Speak for yourself. There is nothing in my sense of role about selling drugs and shooting people.
Why is selling drugs worse than selling prescription drugs, books, toys, you tell me?

Why is singing about shooting people in the streets different than singing about shooting people in the army?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM

29,419 posts, read 16,313,790 times
[quote=BMOREBOY;27797695]One word: music. A lot of music of negativity is found in inner-cities, which promotes violence. For instance, although I have a extremely diverse taste in music, when I drive I typically listen to dumb hip-hop as opposed to intelligent hip-hop. I'm sure most of you haven't heard of Gucci Mane (fairly unintelligent rapper)........./QUOTE]

lets stop you right there.

Gucci Mane has released 3 albums and none of them have been certified gold(500,000 copies sold). SO that kind of defeats the purpose of the argument you are trying to make, he isnt popular. He is a gimmick rapper that has sold a couple of CD's.

here are rap artist just by memory that have been ceritified Gold or higher since the release of his first Album

Jay Z (3X)
Kanye (4X)
Lil Wayne(5X)
Drake (4X)
Lupe Fiasco(3X)
J. Cole (1X)
Big Sean(2X)
Wiz Khalifa(1X)
Nicki MInaj (3X)
Ludacris (2X)
DJ Khalid (3X)
Yung Jeezy (2X)

I can keep going, but its safe to say its a very long list. You could have chosen someone else and made a much better argument.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Why is selling drugs worse than selling prescription drugs, books, toys, you tell me?
Whether drugs should be legal or not is irrelevant. In current realities, it is a high risk and potentially self destructive activity, and anyone with a brain in their heads can see the obvious lack of benefit over cost and risk.

And I don't believe in the glorification of self destructive activity.

Quote:
Why is singing about shooting people in the streets different than singing about shooting people in the army?
More fabrication. Please point to one instance where I advocated the glorification of any type of killing.

I could argue that the stupidity of your typical ghetto murder over nothing is an entirely different animal from fighting for a cause believed to be noble, but I don't even have to.

Go ahead, I've got more. I also don't believe in the glorification of abuse of women, drug use, and to a lesser extent the glorification of general stupidity and hollow materialism. All typical themes in current "music".

What is your argument exactly? That there is no right and wrong? Or that man should simply revert to his most primal instinct and act as an animal? Please, explain this to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I can keep going, but its safe to say its a very long list. You could have chosen someone else and made a much better argument.
The man has sold hundreds of thousands of CDs and topped radio charts. What a lame argument.

The argument is not that he's Jesus in the hood, and the most popular musician ever. The argument is that he's popular. Which he is. To deny that is nothing more than a transparent cop out.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
What is your argument exactly? That there is no right and wrong? Or that man should simply revert to his most primal instinct and act as an animal? Please, explain this to me.
That the music reflects man's true nature and that's why it's so popular. Not just with blacks, whites, Americans, but everyone.

God intended for us to kill so we can get women and get resources for our families. That's who we are. That's why world peace never will be.

All the above is just you equating wrong with it's against the law.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM

29,419 posts, read 16,313,790 times
Quote:
The man has sold hundreds of thousands of CDs and topped radio charts. What a lame argument.

The argument is not that he's Jesus in the hood, and the most popular musician ever. The argument is that he's popular. Which he is. To deny that is nothing more than a transparent cop out.
If you are the 98th most popular rap artist of the last 5 years then you are not popular. A small minority listen to him and purchase his music. He has never even had a song that charted inside the top 30 of the Billboard hot 100 songs.

you are making an argument that selling 600,000 albums total over a 5 year span in a nation of 300,000,000 makes some one popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies