Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Consider this though. Most Whites are not going to be judged according to those stereotypes. It is going to be looked at as representative of one segment of the White population.

Black people, on the other hand, have been subjected to things like:
Blackface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Birth of a Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not to mention, other kinds of unsavory portrayals of Blacks, Black people like me are not going to put up with it. That is why many Black people signed that petition.
Mariner, I signed it, also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Stupidity and a non-controversy.

The music industry has done more to "promote stereotypes" against black people than any reality television show.

Seriously a waste of energy.
Amen, rap music is the main issue, I hope women started demanding better forcing men to do bettter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
Other than this cancelled show being a little more buffoonish, is there really any difference than Basketball Wives?
Not much, it's all the same flossing bs that blacks can't speak without mentioning money, the youth culture is the main problem by a mile.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Truth hurts I suppose....but hey! At least we got Jersey Shore to make fun of Italians and BuckWild to make fun of White Rednecks! Yeah baby! Racism as long as its against white folks! A OK!
There was a huge backlash against jersey shores because it showed Italians in a negative light, don't act like this didn't happen.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
Other than this cancelled show being a little more buffoonish, is there really any difference than Basketball Wives?
All so called reality shows are rubbish and should be cancelled. I've never watched the basketball wives. I imagine that there are plenty of negative stereotypes on the show, but as bad as the show probably is, at least these women are wives and not babies' mamas.

Over 70% of black children are born out of wedlock. This wouldn't be so bad, if both parents were actively engaged in the parenting, but typically the burden of child rearing falls on the single mother. Many black single mom's reside in impoverished areas, and their children are raised in areas that are crime ridden, w/ poor schools etc. Therefore, propagating the "baby mama/baby daddy" lifestyle is disastrous, because it ensures continued poverty and destitution.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
All so called reality shows are rubbish and should be cancelled. I've never watched the basketball wives. I imagine that there are plenty of negative stereotypes on the show, but as bad as the show probably is, at least these women are wives and not babies' mamas.

Blacks currently have over 70% of children being born out of wedlock. This wouldn't be so bad, if both parents were actively engaged in the parenting, but typically the burden of child rearing falls on the single mother. Many black single mom's reside in impoverished areas, and their children are raised in areas that are crime ridden, poor schools etc. Therefore propagating the "baby mama/baby daddy" lifestyle is disastrous, because it ensures continued poverty and destitution.
That is why I signed the petition to have the show banned. The show not only displays the worst stereotypes, but it promotes it as a lifestyle. Promoting a trashy lifestyle will make it seem like it's okay when it isn't okay. Unfortunately, there is someone on this thread who feels like it should be on TV under the idea of "it tells the truth about Black people". It doesn't represent all of us.

There is something else I want to mention. 70% of Black children might be born out of wedlock, but it isn't the same as being raised by a single parent. The question is this. What percentage of Black children grow up in a household where the father isn't present?

Still, I see your point. We don't need to promote destructive lifestyles. We need something much better. On of the reasons I loved watching The Cosby Show and Good Times.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Mariner, I signed it, also!
Very nice. It is a show that promotes horrible living.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,782 times
Quote:
Get a petition against him as well. His show used to be better until this DNA testing stuff came about. To be honest, it's embarrassing. Most Black people that I know do not behave like this. Basically, the Maury Show is basically the Jerry Springer Show(albeit less violent).

We also need to figure out what to do with BET.
Jerry Springer uses actors and is completely scripted. I heard Jerry admit to that in an interview many years who.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,977 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It looks like RebelYell14 was just served...
You 2 seriously think that's racist? Anti white punks get thrown in prison and I am the racist....gotcha! Makes perfect sense....only to the liberal mind.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
You 2 seriously think that's racist? Anti white punks get thrown in prison and I am the racist....gotcha! Makes perfect sense....only to the liberal mind.
Those persons went after a White supremacist group,and you called them "anti-White". How is going after a White supremacist group "anti-White"?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
There was a huge backlash against jersey shores because it showed Italians in a negative light, don't act like this didn't happen.
The governor has even gotten into the act:

Gov. Christie vs. ‘Jersey Shore’ - NYTimes.com

I don't know why he ignored this bit of information either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies