Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Aside from the Executive orders which were not really that restrictive there are three major proposals:

-Increased background checks
-ban certain semi-automatic weapons
-ban high capacity magazines

Seems reasonable but we will see if congress can agree on anything.

Quote:
Of Mr. Obama's three major legislative proposals unveiled Wednesday, prospects may be highest in the Democratic-controlled Senate for a measure to require background checks for all gun buyers, not only for those buying from federally licensed dealers, as is now the law. The White House signaled that its top priority was to expand the checks, which screens for people barred by a criminal record, a history of mental illness or other reasons from buying guns, and some Republicans showed openness to the idea

Obama's Gun Curbs Face a Slog in Congress - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Aside from the Executive orders which were not really that restrictive there are three major proposals:

One reasonable proposal out of three isn't bad, I guess. Increased background checks, while I don't think they'll do much overall, are a reasonable approach to the problem. However, the ban on "certain" semi-automatic weapons and the ban on high capacity magazines wouldn't even put a dent in overall firearms deaths. The simple fact of the matter is that the use of these "certain" semi-automatic weapons just isn't a frequent occurrence in criminal activity. Overall, the weapons and high capacity magazines that would be affected by this ban are some of the least frequently used firearms when we're talking about crime. On the other hand, these are items that are frequently used for legitimate purposes, such as competition shooting, hunting, and home defense.

Of course, you can feel free to look at pointless legislation as reasonable, but we'll be disagreeing on the topic

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM

341 posts, read 641,529 times
Letter of Resignation Sent By Bush to Rifle Association - New York Times

Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
And a nearly 20 year old letter has exactly what bearing on the current legislative proposals?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
FACT: the proposed legislation would have had no effect on any of the recent mass shootings, if it had been in effect at the time of the shooting.
FACT: Laws are only obeyed by law abiding citizens. the predators among us will ignore the new laws, just as they ignore the existing laws
FACT: If you give a politician an inch, he or she will try for the whole enchilada! There is no stopping them once you give them some leeway. they can not be trusted. that includes the ones from my state!
FACT: Making my old hunting rifle illegal will not stop any crime anywhere any time. I used to own a semi-automatic 30-06 with a detachable box magazine. It never killed a person. It sure put a lot of meat in my freezer, though!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Seems reasonable but...

I don't see anything "reasonable" about my
S&W 59, that I've had for over thirty years,
suddenly becoming illegal and making me a
criminal if I don't surrender my stock magazines.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

that is old news. the only reason that George Bush becaame a NRA life member was to court the gun crowd. he was all for banning firearms when he was a representitive in Texas in the late 1960's.

so bush sr giving up his NRA membership meant very little at all.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
I think post in one of the 5 other gun control post on the first page would be reasonable. Oh, I guess you have a right to post new topics that are just like the other threads of the same topic.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I think post in one of the 5 other gun control post on the first page would be reasonable. Oh, I guess you have a right to post new topics that are just like the other threads of the same topic.

I look at it this way, if gun control advocates just want some sensible and reasonable gun control legislation because all the rest of the 25,000 gun control laws just have not worked, then repeal all those 25,000 gun control laws at both state and federal levels, and then we can talk. until then, gun control advocates are just farting in the wind.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

First one, kind of stupid and pointless.

The other two they can go to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies