Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I take it then that you also believe the following?

(a) People should have the privilege of freedom of religion, not the right.

(b) People should have the privilege of freedom of speech, not the right.

(c) People should have the privilege of freedom of the press, not the right.

(d) People should have the privilege to peaceably assemble, not the right.

(e) People should have the privilege of petitioning the Government for a redress of grievances, not the right.

(f) People should have the privilege of not having Soldiers quartered within their home, not the right.

(g) People should have the privilege of being secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches, not the right.

(h) People should have the privilege of not being tried twice for the same crime, not the right.

(i) People should have the privilege of not being required to incriminate themselves, not the right.

(j) People should have the privilege of not being deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law , not the right.

(k) People should have the privilege of not having private property taken for public use without just compensation, not the right.

(l) People should have the privilege of a speedy and public trial, not the right.

(m) People should have the privilege of being tried by an impartial jury, not the right.

(n) People should have the privilege of being confronted with the witnesses against him and allowed to bring witnesses in their favor, not the right.

(o) People should have the privilege of assistance of council for defence, not the right.

(p) People should have the privilege of not being required to post excessive bail and not having cruel and unusual punishment inflicted, not the right.

(q) People shall have the privilege of the enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights not being construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people, not the right.

(r) People should have the privilege of the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, being reserved to the States respectively, or to the people, not the right.
well, a lot of what you just said is indeed already qualified(minimized in definition), for example, if your religion calls for the sacrifice of humans, you clearly would not be allowed to do that in this nation.
\
So by your definition, most of these things are already privileges.

to be clear, im not saying they should be privileges, im just saying by your context, they already are and you negated your own argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Oh I know, the gun lobby wouldn't allow anything that would prevent more guns to be sold despite the second amendment being made for a different period time.
In that case, the First Amendment was "made for a different period time." Are you willing to rest your free speech rights upon that argument?

Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
No jurisdiction in the USA bans guns.
All of the jurisdictions I mentioned ban at least some type of gun, either outright or in certain locations and/or situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Personally I woudnt want some random dude carrying an Ak 47 visitingy my kids pre-school
I think you meant "I wouldn't want some random dude firing an AK-47 at my kids preschool." If there was a threat against your kids preschool, you'd demand that the SWAT team to show up with their tactical rifles. Regardless, your personal wants don't trump anyone else's rights.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:47 AM

934 posts, read 595,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
All of the jurisdictions I mentioned ban at least some type of gun, either outright or in certain locations and/or situations.

I think you meant "I wouldn't want some random dude firing an AK-47 at my kids preschool." If there was a threat against your kids preschool, you'd demand that the SWAT team to show up with their tactical rifles. Regardless, your personal wants don't trump anyone else's rights.
I was pretty clear what I meant. Of course there is regulation. Same way you cant cant give a speech in a library you cant walk onto an airplane with a fully automatic rifle loaded. What you want is a free for all

Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
It's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I take it then that you also believe the following?

(a) People should have the privilege of freedom of religion, not the right.

(b) People should have the privilege of freedom of speech, not the right.

(c) People should have the privilege of freedom of the press, not the right.

(d) People should have the privilege to peaceably assemble, not the right.

(e) People should have the privilege of petitioning the Government for a redress of grievances, not the right.

(f) People should have the privilege of not having Soldiers quartered within their home, not the right.

(g) People should have the privilege of being secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches, not the right.

(h) People should have the privilege of not being tried twice for the same crime, not the right.

(i) People should have the privilege of not being required to incriminate themselves, not the right.

(j) People should have the privilege of not being deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law , not the right.

(k) People should have the privilege of not having private property taken for public use without just compensation, not the right.

(l) People should have the privilege of a speedy and public trial, not the right.

(m) People should have the privilege of being tried by an impartial jury, not the right.

(n) People should have the privilege of being confronted with the witnesses against him and allowed to bring witnesses in their favor, not the right.

(o) People should have the privilege of assistance of council for defence, not the right.

(p) People should have the privilege of not being required to post excessive bail and not having cruel and unusual punishment inflicted, not the right.

(q) People shall have the privilege of the enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights not being construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people, not the right.

(r) People should have the privilege of the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, being reserved to the States respectively, or to the people, not the right.
Sigh. Yes, lets take one specific thing and turn into an entire absolute. I suppose I'll give you a pat on the back for taking the time turning my point into a literal absolute; hopefully you copied and paste "not the right".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Yes. It only applied to spoken word and printing presses.
I'm sorry if you can't see the issues facing the "notion" of free speech and range of other rights and deeply held beliefs that technological progress has and will force us to question.

I'm just not afraid of question the ideas of men who lived ~240 years ago.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Both parties are bad.............but Democrats are undeniably the biggest and insanest Stateocrats!
Don't see how. Both parties create a bigger "state" in different ways.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
In that case, the First Amendment was "made for a different period time." Are you willing to rest your free speech rights upon that argument?
Of course not. Obviously I think the pen is mightier in America, but don't think I believe firearms are something that shouldn't be owned.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:55 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
I find it really disturbing that people actually think that there is a government/liberal plot to steal all of their guns.

So you seriously think that the US government/liberals are planning to take away all guns, including hunting rifles? Pellet guns? BB guns? Cap guns? Water guns?

Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I have seen nothing in the Pres. statement which stops legal gun ownership from occuring.
There is a plethora of anti gun measures he has supported through his career. His hands are pretty much tied, he'd do it if he could.

Quote:
Even in NYS you can still purchase weapons. They will have smaller (7 rounds) clips but it will not stop the purchase
It's a magazine and they will not be limiting the magazine capacity since they don't exist. What they will belimiting you to is 7 rounds in a magazine that can hold 10 rounds. I'm sure the criminals will be following this law.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You already have gun gangs, but as I stated, no one is taking your guns Smitty, and if they do, you are a world class martial arts expert, so you can handle yourself.
You don't have to take them. For example in NYC there is a $450 non refundable processing fee for handgun permit (just to have one) that can be denied for almost any reason. In NYC only the rich and politically connected are licensed to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies