Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That's the problem. There is very little professional, responsible, journalism any more. There used to be very strict rules concerning verification of facts before publishing. Now, it seems as though they can almost post fiction as fact and get away with it.

There are very few retractions, as well. Reporters do not suffer penalties, it seems, for publishing falsehoods.

What troubles me is that when the public can no longer trust its official news sources conspiracies abound and that often morphs into political upheaval.
There are many reliable, ethical journalists out there. But some of us have to turn off the CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc and start LOOKING for it and supporting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think it's probably coincidence, but part of that is that my mind reels when I think of the implications if it is not.

I keep coming back to that utube above and the first father and how it really looks VERY suspicious. What was going through his mind? How/why did his demeanor change so dramatically when he was preparing for the interview? I know that people react to grief differently, but he starts from what appears to be a place of nonchalant indifference.

However you spin that, violent crime is way down in the country and half the gun deaths are suicides.
When my father died - at a very young age - we were all gathered at his home for 3 days for the funeral routines. There were times of silliness, raucous laughter and smiles. Not all of this even had a lick to do with remembering my father. Some of it was just us cousins goofing off (we were all in our 20s). Then, in a private moment or even on a trip to the restroom the grief would pop up and I'd sob. So, to not only judge this man for his actions but use it as a basis for a conspiracy theory of massive proportions seems trite and not altogether founded in reality.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I don't see what the issue is with discussing popular issues in a different light. You don't reach reasonable conclusions if you only discuss your opinion with someone that shares a similar opinion.
The issue is that grieving parents, first responders and even bystanders here in CT are now being barraged with ugly phone calls, emails and personal harassment because of the conspiracy crap all over the Internet. You might call it "discussing popular issues in a different light." I call it encouraging the most ghoulish, savage possible behavior that is purely psychotic.

But go ahead, entertain yourselves and continue to promote this crap solely in order to hang on to your weapons of death. It helps us identify the psychotic among us.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I don't even think the people in those photos look alike, in fact it's quite clear (at least to me) the women are two different women - just look at the facial structure, as one is much longer-faced than the other. Sad how people are trying to politicize this tragedy, and I can't imagine how the victims' loved ones feel if they read crap like this.
Thanks. Same here. They don't look like the same person at all.

Reminds me of those weight-loss ads on late-night TV where they show the "before" and "after" person, except it's not the same person. They just think that by telling you it is, you're going to believe it.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
goldengrain-

I know personally one of the families in the video in your link. They are grieving, and they are not actors. My parents live next door to the grandparents of the child. They, too, are still in extreme pain. The funeral that my parents went to was not fake.

My friend teaches there. She experienced everything firsthand. She's not an actor.

This conspiracy stuff has sickened me and has further caused anguish to the entire Sandy Hook, Newtown, Connecticut community.

Please stop.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
goldengrain-

I know personally one of the families in the video in your link. They are grieving, and they are not actors. My parents live next door to the grandparents of the child. They, too, are still in extreme pain. The funeral that my parents went to was not fake.

My friend teaches there. She experienced everything firsthand. She's not an actor.

This conspiracy stuff has sickened me and has further caused anguish to the entire Sandy Hook, Newtown, Connecticut community.

Please stop.
Bears repeating.

It is one thing to talk about this kind of thing in the privacy of our own homes but when some of you (obviously not you kid) go and harass people who are already grieving it is a disgusting display of inhumanity.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times

On Sandy Hook Conspiracy Theorists - YouTube

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
goldengrain-

Please stop.
Thank you for your post.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It's coincidence. My wife swears,
for example, that I look exactly like Brad Pitt. The only real differences are 10 years, hair and good looks.
I think you did a much better job in 'Thelma and Louise', though. That was crappy that they brought Mr.Pitt in, and booted you off the set at the last moment. Hollywood politics, am I right?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
This whole conspiracy bullpucky is nothing but bullpucky. The End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies