Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times

Advertisements

Obama promised to end lobbyists. I guess just another lie the swooners pretend he never said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Obama promised to end lobbyists. I guess just another lie the swooners pretend he never said.
Right you are:
Even after Obama's promise, lobbyists still run the White House — RT

Quote:
If you’re looking for someone busier than US President Barack Obama, try finding his doorbell repairman. New records reveal that the White House has had millions of visitors since Obama entered office, and many were lobbyists.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM

143 posts, read 122,146 times
Quote:

Its B.S. campaign rhetoric. Politicians have been saying that for decades, but once they get in office and someone drops a sackful of cash on their desk, lobbyist suddenly become "valuable opinions." There is a reason most of our congress critters are millionaires and it ain't because they make wise investment decisions with their government salary. Lobbying in my opinion is nothing more than legitimate bribery. Obama is nothing more than a B.S. artist in a long line of B.S. artists.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I wondering if anyone can make the case for our current lobby system. Pretty much everyone i have talked politics to regardless of con or lib, is disgusted by the lobby, superpacs, and career politicians. If these things are so universally despised how come we don't have real campaign reform, term limits, lobby reform.
In the last election, I put my name (and that of a close friend) up as a write-in candidates for President and vice-president. It was referred to as the "TRASH-CAN". If we had gotten any percentage of votes, lobbyists would have been one of the issues we would have "closed in on". For decades, we've had government by special interest groups and corporate America. We've gone from the original concept of "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people" to "Government of the people, by the people (via the business execs), and for Corporate America. Seems that none of you took it seriously.

In the first place, because the current system works so well (and is so profitable) for the political arena, do not expect any real changes to come from them. They like it just as it is. If you want some real changes, you need to go "off the grid". Just how much worse do you need it to get before you get desperate enough to listen to a different option that can actually be effective?

Don't have the guts to try something different, don't complain about what you've got. You voted it all right back in just like it was before. Didn't vote??? Then you have nothing to complain about either. Do you realize that if even half if those afflicted with "voter apathy" had gone to the polls and "thrown their vote into the TRASH-CAN", the election could have been taken away from the established political machinery? It would have become possible for some real changes to be made for the better? So, now you're saddled with exactly what you voted for, business as usual and corruption. Don't complain.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You realize that real estate is amongst the top lobbyist?

1998 -2012
Absolutely.

Contributions to the NAR PAC are optional. I choose to walk my talk, do not agree with the agenda and do not contribute.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM

691 posts, read 771,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I wondering if anyone can make the case for our current lobby system. Pretty much everyone i have talked politics to regardless of con or lib, is disgusted by the lobby, superpacs, and career politicians. If these things are so universally despised how come we don't have real campaign reform, term limits, lobby reform.

Everyone who votes is "lobbying" for their own self interest.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
He did not promise to end lobbyists. No President has this sort of power over Congress or the Senate.

This is what he did promise and did not deliver relative to appointments:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tougher rules against revolving door for lobbyists and former officials

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Remove power from the politicians and lobbyist will be gone tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
For decades, we've had government by special interest groups and corporate America. We've gone from the original concept of "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people" to "Government of the people, by the people (via the business execs), and for Corporate America.
There have been special interests groups and lobbie, since the very begining.
The wealthy have used their money to influence outcomes all along, too.

Legislation authorized PACs in the early 70's I think. Super Pacs followed.

What has been the game changer is the amount of money flowing into these Super Pacs and the influence on elections at all levels.

I received an email from Norquist last night asking me if I would be more likely to make a donation if he gave me a coffee mug signed by someone who took his pledge. Given there are folk hosting $50K a plate dinners in Israel for doners, I don't think my lack of donation will hurt the cause.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You realize that real estate is amongst the top lobbyist?

1998 -2012
Isn't that like a PARTIAL LIST?

Lobbying Spending Database - National Rifle Assn, 2012 | OpenSecrets

National Rifle Assn: ALMOST $2M.

Give us some more examples because you left out at least that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies