Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,714,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
You're right. Marijuana should be legalized. I am not going to smoke it and people smoke it anyway even if it is illegal. I think it would help free up police to handle criminals who hurt people instead of having the cops arrest some guy who is carrying a small amount of marijuana.

If we want people to stay off drugs, education and not banning everything would be the best way to do it.

You are also right about a good libertarian candidate in the White House. We need someone who will cut some spending, keep us out of wars, and restore freedom.

I don't think rational, informed people could be too opposed to MJ when it doesn't cause deaths and it does not cause brain damage & it has 120+ medical uses where it often works better than pills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Both Democrat and Republican Presidents and Congresses have continued the war on drugs... NOT just conservatives.

Why is GOVERNMENT against personal liberties?

Money & more money & the power it can buy. Most in Congress get $100,000-$500,000 annually to not do anything that would hurt Big Pharma. Plus the police who believe the lies or fear unemployment if they can't take cash, vehicles & houses from someone who is growing a few plants to treat their medical condition.

Yet, I haven't heard of them lobbying to take cash, vehicles & houses from murderers.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I don't know about Arizona because I don't live there. Where I do it's a misdemeanor if your found with a little weed on you. Pay the fine and move on if you want to smoke so bad. Maybe the stoners need to band together and do something instead of whining about it all the time. Put somebody in office that will lead the charge. Or blame everybody else like most do.
Gary Johnson the recent libertarian candidate for President favored pot legalization. If up to 17% smoke pot, they didn't care enough to vote for someone who would legalize it, if at all possible. But nearly every voter voted for someone that would harm them in some way.

There is the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) that has a few million worldwide working to change drug laws. Also the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) & National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML). There are many more legalization groups. But it is not possible to out-bribe Big Pharma or police & lawyers.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,061,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.
I agree that the Federal Gov. has no business "baning" anything. The Constituiton confers to such authority, and when they wanted to ban booze, the got an amendment allowing them to do so. There are no corresponding amendments for other substances, just a government and ruling class that has an insatiable lust for power, and remember, the bigger government grows, the smaller the citizen shrinks.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,228,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But when conservatives say liberals hate freedom, it's some kind of brilliant revelation? Yeah, okay.

P.S. If liberals "can't think," why are they by & large more highly educated and earning more than conservatives? Hmmm.
Where do you find factual evidence that would support such an inane statement? You liberals are really amazing. You throw out silly statements like that as though they are fact, and expect people to believe it's true.

Not only is there no evidence that would support such a claim, it is positively ridiculous on it's face.

Most people would call statements like that, "propaganda". The left is nothing but a propaganda machine.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I don't think this is a D or R issue. I think it has more to do with having to wait for the Reefer Madness generation to die out or at least have no political power.
I don't know. Aren't the flower children in power now? I waited for this time and it's still illegal.

I am a conservative and pro legalization. I'm just wondering when that day will come.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,736,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I'm conservative and support the liberty of marijuana. You're thinking of Republicans, OP. Remember though, the Dems are just as responsible for the drug war.
How about we do away with the war on drugs and find a reasonable solution!Look how much money we would save and how much the gov would make. If these morons want to inject crap/pills into their system and they are going to find a way to do it illegally, then I say give it to them cheap and legal. MJ is a different subject and should be legalized immediately.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
How about we do away with the war on drugs and find a reasonable solution!Look how much money we would save and how much the gov would make. If these morons want to inject crap/pills into their system and they are going to find a way to do it illegally, then I say give it to them cheap and legal. MJ is a different subject and should be legalized immediately.
Mj is very different. I used to be for legalizing all and just let people od if they want until a five year old told the story about his mom od'ing and I could hear the trauma in his voice. He watched it happen. That poor kid will never forget that.
I do agree though that mj should be legalized now.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,946,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
We had a serious Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, but 99% refused to vote for him because voters said I want to vote for someone who has a chance of winning so my vote isn't wasted. So if one candidate was for real freedom, they'd want the worst (bribed) candidates to keep winning forever so their votes aren't wasted. If the candidates were Hitler clone #1 & Hitler clone #2 & a libertarian, the Hitler clones would win forever. If voters can't think sanely & realize candidates who take money from special interest groups have been purchased & will side against the public, there is no hope.

Hitler had drug users executed. Newt Gingrich smoked cannabis (MJ) when he was young & said it should be legalized, at the very least for medical purposes. Then he became a medical lobbyist & proposed a law that would allow for any American possessing 2 oz or more to be executed. (Not) OK passed a law allowing 100 years for possession of 2 oz or more. Gingrich was allowed to be in politics for 1/2 century.

If politicians talk about what is good for the country, they usually mean what is good for the bribers & bribees. If you don't hear them talk about personal liberties other than gun ownership, they are against the rest of the Constitution.

Mitt Romney got nearly half the vote, when the Republican debates had 1 candidate or another saying we hate drug users, we hate gays, racial minorities, protesters, poor people on welfare, atheists and agnostics, Muslims, etc.

I knew not to vote for Obama when I went online to some voters guide that told their ratings from special interest groups. Obama was highly rated by owners of treatment centers.

Fed govt has a new wish list out for MJ users: forced intervention/rehab, forced "education"(lies). You can see all the details at learnaboutsam.com/

Very well said. Originally, I supported Ron Paul, but in the end I went with Johnson, as Paul did not run as an Independent. Both have a similar message, are 2 of the more honest politicians, and support maximum freedom. I do not understand the logic of not voting for someone because they have no chance of winning. If you like that person, and think that they are the best candidate, THEN VOTE FOR THEM!!!! Don't let the media brainwash you and tell you who you SHOULD be voting for! Unfortunately though even if by some miracle Johnson would have been elected, they would have rigged it so that he didn't win, because he like Paul is a threat to the establishment and the status quo. It's all about money!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,494,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Mj is very different. I used to be for legalizing all and just let people od if they want until a five year old told the story about his mom od'ing and I could hear the trauma in his voice. He watched it happen. That poor kid will never forget that.
I do agree though that mj should be legalized now.
People regularly do that on alcohol, which is entirely legal. The best we can do would be legalizing drugs specifically so that we can turn drug abuse into a medical problem, not a criminal problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies