Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times

Advertisements

One of the 23 executive orders issued by President Obama as part of his gun safety initiative was, to direct the Centers for Desease Control to resume research into the causes and consequences of gun violence in the US:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.cGE

The CDC has been restrained by the gun lobby-controlled congress since 1996, from conducting any research into the effects of our 300 million guns on the health and safety of our citizens.

Hopefully, we wil now get some solid, scientific answers, and we'll know just why the NRA has been paying millions in bribes to our representatives, to sweep the facts about guns and public health under the carpet the past 18 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,664 times
Should gun ownership be treated medically?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
To what end will our tax dollars be spent towards this, o.p.?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
It's honestly incredibly disturbing to me that a lobby was able to get the government to ban research like this.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It's honestly incredibly disturbing to me that a lobby was able to get the government to ban research like this.
That a civil rights lobby was able to stop the government from conducting a study that would ultimately be used to take away our rights?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
That a civil rights lobby was able to stop the government from conducting a study that would ultimately be used to take away our rights?
That's a bit of a leap there. Violence is a legitimate public health research topic. The CDC wouldn't be researching how to take away guns, they'd be researching what causes gun violence. There are plenty of communities in the US with lots of gun owners that don't see much gun violence. There are plenty that do. The CDC ought to be figuring out why.

That said, I think the answer is pretty clear: culture and poverty. You don't see the Swiss killing each other like crazy despite having tons of firearms in their country, but Switzerland is completely different from the US.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
One of the 23 executive orders issued by President Obama as part of his gun safety initiative was, to direct the Centers for Desease Control to resume research into the causes and consequences of gun violence in the US:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.cGE

The CDC has been restrained by the gun lobby-controlled congress since 1996, from conducting any research into the effects of our 300 million guns on the health and safety of our citizens.

Hopefully, we wil now get some solid, scientific answers, and we'll know just why the NRA has been paying millions in bribes to our representatives, to sweep the facts about guns and public health under the carpet the past 18 years
Excellent. I approve.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
That's a bit of a leap there. Violence is a legitimate public health research topic. The CDC wouldn't be researching how to take away guns, they'd be researching what causes gun violence. There are plenty of communities in the US with lots of gun owners that don't see much gun violence. There are plenty that do. The CDC ought to be figuring out why.

That said, I think the answer is pretty clear: culture and poverty. You don't see the Swiss killing each other like crazy despite having tons of firearms in their country, but Switzerland is completely different from the US.
I suggest we start with our own violent government and what makes it tick.
The Swiss aren't occupying other countries,killing innocent women and children with drones or torturing prisoners
You suppose the swiss prime minister has a secret kill list like obomba?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I suggest we start with our own violent government and what makes it tick.
The Swiss aren't occupying other countries,killing innocent women and children with drones or torturing prisoners
You suppose the swiss prime minister has a secret kill list like obomba?
Heh, I'd love to see a solution to that some day, but that would probably fall under terrorism research rather than gun violence research my good man. Of course, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of terrorism research is funded by DHS. I don't think they're keen on funding any studies that might say terrorism is partly caused by US actions abroad.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 PM

54 posts, read 87,934 times
another prime example that conservatives/libertarians are anti-science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies