Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM

734 posts, read 932,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Someone asked for stats?

Why Asian Guys Are On A Roll - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

From the article:

"Asian-American men are marrying outside their ethnic group at a far faster rate than before, according to new research by demographer Larry Hajine Shinagawa. In his forthcoming book, "Asian Americans: Intermarriage and the Social Construction of Love," from Beacon Press, Shinagawa examines marriage-license data in California, and concludes that Asian-American men born in the United States are far more likely to marry women who are white (18.9%), of other Asian ethnicity (22.7%), or another racial minority (6%) than more recent immigrants. Shinegawa expects the trend to continue, and researchers are eagerly awaiting this year's census to confirm what they suspect is an even greater speed-up."
18.9% is a very significant figure. I'm sure in another 10 years or so, it will increase to much greater numbers, especially since more and more Asian men are immigrating to the U.S. and many of them have very good incomes due to working in biotech and engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I am not stating that most do not prefer white men, I am however stating that I've noticed a trend that more and more white women are dating and marrying non white men. I guess it would depend on the region that you reside in, because if you visited the West Coast, and parts of the East Coast, you would agree.
Of course--for some it's to seek greener pastures. In the past a lot of white guys installed fear into their women, often forbidding them to seek elsewhere while the white guys had Asian girlfriends and black and hispanic mistresses. Now these women are earning their own and doing whatever they want whether it means being single or dating outside the race.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Interesting topic.

A lot of white women that I know are beginning to seek new opportunities away from white guys simply because many of them aren't living up to the hype in commercials, movies and popular media. Many are learning that they can be just as broke, abusive, conniving, and adulterous as any other guy. Plus a lot of them today are only existing in extremes--as pansy gamers or chauvanistic types.
How many of your white female friends date/marry interracially? Just curious, because some are stating that they haven't noticed this trend. My guess is, if one resides in a city or near one, they will notice this rising trend.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
This is one of the reasons the culture is so behind. Firstly in order to get married a person needs to be inspired by that someone in the first place. The only way to be inspired by that someone is to be around them, getting to know them better. So to start out with a premise which suggests a 'trend in a situation where 'inspiration... is the mechanism for the relationship, is flat out twisted.

Last edited by stargazzer; 01-17-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Of course--for some it's to seek greener pastures. In the past a lot of white guys installed fear into their women, often forbidding them to seek elsewhere while the white guys had Asian girlfriends and black and hispanic mistresses. Now these women are earning their own and doing whatever they want whether it means being single or dating outside the race.
I think the relative independence derived from earning a good income may be a major factor. I guess many feel a greater level of independence to date and/or marry whomever they wish.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I think white women would think twice about dating black men if these statistics were made more public. It could save their lives.

Interracial Crime:
Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every
year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites
commit 15 percent.

Source: Dept. of Justice, FBI Uniform Crime Report
You are such a doggone humanitarian.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,061,901 times
If this thread serves a purpose it's to expose all the white posters pretending to be other races.

Deezus and Iamme7 raise your hands.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
How many of your white female friends date/marry interracially? Just curious, because some are stating that they haven't noticed this trend. My guess is, if one resides in a city or near one, they will notice this rising trend.
I live in nyc, so I see it very often in Manhattan--particularly lower Manhattan. And it isn't one particular race--I see them with black, hispanic as well as Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian etc; but actual marriage is probably much more common with black and hispanic men than any of the others.

Now if this were the 1950s--it would probably occur at a much much lower rate--primarily because these women were economically captive to white males. In this day age? Well, they earn their own and they know white guys are busy chasing Asian and Hispanic women, so they aren't under as much pressure to only date within their race.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I live in nyc, so I see it very often in Manhattan--particularly lower Manhattan. And it isn't one particular race--I see them with black, hispanic as well as Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian etc; but actual marriage is probably much more common with black and hispanic men than any of the others.

Now if this were the 1950s--it would probably occur at a much much lower rate--primarily because these women were economically captive to white males. In this day age? Well, they earn their own and they know white guys are busy chasing Asian and Hispanic women, so they aren't under as much pressure to only date within their race.
So you believe their interracial dating is influenced by white men dating Asian and Hispanic women? That's interesting, perhaps they do not want to play second fiddle...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
I grew up when the Irish and Italians kissed and made up and became the most inter racial married races the country has ever known. that was in the 50's so this isn't some modern new enlighened trend not even close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies