Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Y'all come to Texas, state official tells New York gun owners - Yahoo! News

hey but the mafia and NY gangs will stay though no matter what
Sounds like another reason to avoid Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Haha, oh yes! Because NY is quite the utopia.

What isn't better about TX than NY? With the way people think up there, you couldn't pay me to live in NY.

NYC is cool and all, but I'd much rather live in Houston.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
NY is more educated, richer, better infrastructure, certainly better schools... I mean, you get what you pay for. Texas has... more fat people, more gun nuts, more religious fanatics, more people who think they're cowboys, more 100 degree days, more drought, more sprawl... yeah, what's not to love?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
You'd be surprised. My fiance and I have actually thought about it. Honestly ALOT of people 30 and under are leaving NYS for the past few years due to the high taxes. And living in NYC is cool and all, but in the long term scheme of things--it is VERY expensive. The cost of a large house in Texas would get you a 1 bedroom Condo anywhere in the 5 boroughs. We search for homes all the time, and most places are in the 300-400k range for a decent neighborhood, conveinet location, good schools etc. Plus you need roughly about 20+% down even with "good credit."
Again, you get what you pay for. It's expensive to live in NY because it has a large quantity of amenities, infrastructure, etc. People act like taxes are just there to collect money, but they do actually go to pay for all the crap most people take advantage of. There is a reason places like Texas are cheaper to live. The quality of life is not the same, not even close. I mean, you answered why those places are expensive when you said they were decent, convenitent and had good schools. Do you think these things are supposed to be free or not be desirable? Come on.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 01-18-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The 2007-2008 crash, didn't even effect my area around Austin. There has and is still a big boom here, with people moving here from all over.

We absorb them and grow. We are not restricted, so absorption doesn't take years. Only months, if not weeks.

Build it and they will come......

Get this. Our State Legislature only meets every 2 years and then only for a 1/4 of the first part of that year.
Not much time to mess things up and place restrictions on our freedoms and liberties.
I wonder how many times a Texan says "freedom" or "liberty" each day? Kind of loses all meaning when it becomes as commonplace as "the".

Last edited by jbcmh81; 01-18-2013 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Again, you get what you pay for. It's expensive to live in NY because it has a large quantity of amenities, infrastructure, etc. People act like taxes are just there to collect money, but they do actually go to pay for all the crap most people take advantage of. There is a reason places like Texas are cheaper to live. The quality of live is not the same, not even close.
I had a friend who was thinking of moving to Austin. She came back extremely disappointed. I told her that I heard Austin was hip and happening, she said for Texas standards it is, but nothing like Chicago, not even close

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yea, Texans want to ban healthcare. Seriously? When will you liberals stop with the BS. All you need to do is look at fiscally responsible Texas versus circling the drain New York to see which plan will work best.

Texans expect folks to take care of themselves, and get government out of the way.
Is that why Texas is a net user of federal money?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
tell that to the person who lives in a 220 square foot box in an apartment building.
You do realize that most people who live in those places probably don't spend much time there... as they're too busy going to shows, walking to restaurants and bars, visiting parks and museums... you know, not living in a cultural and social backwater.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why would a New Yorker leave to move to Texas? For what exactly? What would they be going to?

Especially if you're talking about New York City....but i wouldn't leave New York state either to move down there.
Agreed! I'll take my chances in NY as opposed to the state with the buried nuclear waste.

A Texas-Sized Plan for Nuclear Waste | Mother Jones

Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I had a friend who was thinking of moving to Austin. She came back extremely disappointed. I told her that I heard Austin was hip and happening, she said for Texas standards it is, but nothing like Chicago, not even close
I think your friend hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There is a reason places like Texas are cheaper to live. The quality of life is not the same, not even close.
That depends on what your personal definition of quality of life is. I enjoy waking up to absolute silence except for the birds chirping. I enjoy the fact when I here a gun shot I don't have to wonder who is getting shot as it's just the neighbor shooting at targets. I enjoy the fact that after eating a pork roast we just smoked I can sit outside around a fire drinking a beer at 2AM with some good friends with the music blaring . I enjoy the fact when my dog needs to go take a dump I just open the door and she goes and finds her spot in the wood somewhere. I enjoy the fact when the nieces and nephews come over they can run around all they want outside without worrying about them getting hit by a car, mugged or being offered a hit crack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies