Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That depends on what your personal definition of quality of life is. I enjoy waking up to absolute silence except for the birds chirping. I enjoy the fact when I here a gun shot I don't have to wonder who is getting shot as it's just the neighbor shooting at targets. I enjoy the fact that after eating a pork roast we just smoked I can sit outside around a fire drinking a beer at 2AM with some good friends with the music blaring . I enjoy the fact when my dog needs to go take a dump I just open the door and she goes and finds her spot in the wood somewhere.
It's a no brainer for me

New York ---- > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uth_summit.jpg

Texas ---> http://overthehillroadtrip.files.wor...-landscape.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
That depends on what your personal definition of quality of life is. I enjoy waking up to absolute silence except for the birds chirping. I enjoy the fact when I here a gun shot I don't have to wonder who is getting shot as it's just the neighbor shooting at targets. I enjoy the fact that after eating a pork roast we just smoked I can sit outside around a fire drinking a beer at 2AM with some good friends with the music blaring . I enjoy the fact when my dog needs to go take a dump I just open the door and she goes and finds her spot in the wood somewhere.
Lol....cool except for the gunshot nonsense. NYC isn't a shooting gallery. For its size, its a pretty damn safe city.Very, very safe in fact.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol....cool except for the gunshot nonsense. NYC isn't a shooting gallery. For its size, its a pretty damn safe city.Very, very safe in fact.
Not to mention that NY is more than NYC.

All I have to say is go to google images, type in New York landscape, than type in Texas landscape.

End of story and end of thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I had a friend who was thinking of moving to Austin. She came back extremely disappointed. I told her that I heard Austin was hip and happening, she said for Texas standards it is, but nothing like Chicago, not even close
Gotta admit...I'm VERY fond of Austin. Best city in Texas hands down.

Dallas and Houston on the other hand are jokes.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
I've been across this entire country and most of Texas, it certainly doesn't all look like that. That type of landscape could be from just about any state in the Southwest and even others in the north

As far as me I'm from PA, this is the view from my front window right after it was purchased and prior to being renovated, I can watch the sun come up over the mountain across the valley from the big window to the right.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You don't get it.. I have no axe to grind with Californians.. I have lived there too years ago and I have worked there recently... It's a beautiful state. To say that people from California by and large don't have a different attitude than the people of Texas is naive. People in all different areas have different attitudes. California attitudes don't exactly jive with the attitudes of the people in general of Texas. All I am saying is that when you move to a new area, regardless of where it is, you should try to assimilate into the area you move to. I wonder how long it has been since you've been to Santa Fe. It's changed and not just grown, but the personality has changed. While I will agree that there has been an influx of capital in the area, there has also been a significant change in the attitudes and culture of the city. It's not the same place anymore.. As for the civil war and civil rights arguement, as far as I am concerned you are over dramatizing for whatever reason... It doesn't exist..
I go to Santa Fe a lot. 3 or 4 times a year. My wife's aunt owns an art gallery and studio there. In fact, she's also from California. And the city is better for her presence there. Californians and their money have done a great deal of good for Western states. Yes, they run up property values and taxes, and that's the main thing that has caused so much resentment out west from Montana to New Mexico. But much of that land sat dormant with little activity and didn't bring much in the way of a tax base to these states and municipalities.

But overall, I've found Californians to be a fair lot. I mean, assimilate? What does that mean? They're Americans! If they're liberals, are they supposed to become conservatives? I mean, we've gone from telling immigrants to assimilate to now telling native born Americans to do so too? Really?

I don't think you're being fair. Again, if they're so bad, what does that make Texans?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Upstate NY certainly does have some of the most beautiful landscpes in the USA. Have you taken a trip to the Hudson River Valley? A must see is Olana...

Olana: the 250-acre integrated environment of famed Hudson River School Painter Frederic Edwin Church: Art, Architecture, Landscape, Farm and Views

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:

All I have to say is go to google images, type in New York landscape, than type in Texas landscape.

You need to try and experience things yourself (Google doesn't count) instead of the same square block you live on.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:

New York State is breathtakingly beautiful. It's like Pennsylvania...can't get enough of how beautiful it is.

The part of Texas that I love is the Hill Country and Big Bend Country out west. The rest of it does nothing for me. Flat, mossy, swampy, or rife with thickets. Then there's the panhandle area...butt ugly.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You need to try and experience things yourself (Google doesn't count) instead of the same square block you live on.
In the last 2 months alone I've been to Florida, TN, North Carolina, and Georgia.

Loved all of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies