Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said, to each his/her own... and I don't find it that "creepy," with the exception of a few specific families. Personally, I think the Kardashians are much creepier!
I've watched nearly one episode. That's all. A number of the parents and the promoters need to be hog-tied and horse-whipped. I won't be watching it again. I feel sorry for the kids.

Kardashians???? Just who died and made them Goddesses??????

We currently have the very best programming on television that we've ever had.... Wish I had a lower IQ so that I could enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Disgusting show. I watched it once, because a friend thought I'd think it was funny. I spent an hour in a state of perpetual pissed-offidness. Pathetic, fat attention w**res abusing their children, because their best days are behind them.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
[MOD CUT/off topic]. I must admit to being amazed at the many ways that parents, especially mothers, live vicariously through their children. I watched this show once and I felt sorry for the kids.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-18-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Three times that I've been administered the tests, the results came back 168, 172, and 170. About the only television I watch are documentaries. And, the good ones aren't on very often.
[MOD CUT/offtopic]
Now back to the topic, does every television show have to be an educational pursuit? Maybe you have no sense of humor or just don't like TV in general, but most people like to relax their brains every so often - especially people who work in "brainy" fields (as I do), and just want to tune out for a little while after a hard day's work. Taste in television & movies is highly subjective, so everyone's opinions here are merely that... personal opinions. I'm sure you all watch things I find stupid, in fact I think most TV documentaries are mind-numbingly dull and often biased. But if you like them, more power to you, and I'd never call you stupid for liking them. The only thing that's dumb is this thread, LOL.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-18-2013 at 09:33 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Oh look an IQ contest. Well my IQ was in the low 120 range last test I took, and I can still tell the difference between crap and non-crap.

The Kardashians aren't creepy, they're just stupid. I'd prefer stupid over spoiled 6 year olds raised by vapid parents being dressed up and paraded around like sexualized barbie dolls. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's wrong with that.
[MOD CUT/off topic]
I agreed this show is crap, I agree it's low-level entertainment, but who friggin cares? If something makes me laugh I will watch, as I'm not so impressed with myself (like the above poster) that I can't admit to enjoying dumb things sometimes. Do you only watch documentaries too?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-18-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I'm too old to be particularly worried about my IQ, especially on the internet. I must admit to being amazed at the many ways that parents, especially mothers, live vicariously through their children. I watched this show once and I felt sorry for the kids.
I don't normally care about or share my IQ either, but it's hard to resist when somebody challenges one's intelligence. And yes, the mothers are definitely living vicariously through their children! But I saw the same crap when I was a figure skater, so I guess that's why I relate to the show a bit. For the most part our parents still treated us well (very well in my case), and we all grew up just fine... particularly when we're talking about the super young children, it's not like competing in a few kiddie pageants will damage them for life. If their parents are overall cuckoo, like "Honey Boo Boo's" family, they would be screwed with or without these pageants anyway.

Again, who cares? It's their life, and I find it entertaining to witness the train wrecks. That is all I can say, and it's hard to believe I'm having to defend my TV habits. What part of "to each their own" do some people not get?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
High IQ or not, you obviously don't understand the concept of subjectivity... or you're just too arrogant to realize your opinions don't equal facts!

I agreed this show is crap, I agree it's low-level entertainment, but who friggin cares? If something makes me laugh I will watch, as I'm not so impressed with myself (like the above poster) that I can't admit to enjoying dumb things sometimes. Do you only watch documentaries too?
I don't watch TV.

I didn't say it was crap because it was "low level entertainment". I said it was crap because it shows a bunch of emotionally screwed up unfit parents dressing their kids up like sexualized barbie dolls.

I know to many intelligent liberal types there is no "right" and "wrong" but being a shallow person and turning your own kids into glitter covered objects is morally reprehensible and can't be good for said kids' psyches. They also can't be good for the kids who see them and grow up with a disgustingly warped outlook on what is important in life.

Unfortunately the whole "you're not allowed to judge" thing you hear all the time now is something I couldn't possibly care less about. So I re-state my case that shows that embrace and even glorify stupidity and other indisputable character deficiencies are bad shows, and do not benefit society, at best.

I could take this past a subjective argument if I so desired. This is a psychological issue with tangible repercussions, not some **** I read in the bible.

That being said, watch what you want, I don't care.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
I don't normally care about or share my IQ either, but it's hard to resist when somebody challenges one's intelligence. And yes, the mothers are definitely living vicariously through their children! But I saw the same crap when I was a figure skater, so I guess that's why I relate to the show a bit. For the most part our parents still treated us well (very well in my case), and we all grew up just fine... particularly when we're talking about the super young children, it's not like competing in a few kiddie pageants will damage them for life. If their parents are overall cuckoo, like "Honey Boo Boo's" family, they would be screwed with or without these pageants anyway.

Again, who cares? It's their life, and I find it entertaining to witness the train wrecks. That is all I can say, and it's hard to believe I'm having to defend my TV habits. What part of "to each their own" do some people not get?
Always fascinating to watch a train wreck. Parents can be pretty screwed up with sports for their kids in particular. The sick thing about this show is the mothers fascination with beauty and "talent". What kind of lesson is that for their kids? Kind of gross in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Always fascinating to watch a train wreck. Parents can be pretty screwed up with sports for their kids in particular. The sick thing about this show is the mothers fascination with beauty and "talent". What kind of lesson is that for their kids? Kind of gross in my opinion.
Yes, exactly! In case anyone doesn't understand my position here, I've never defended the people who are IN the shows... I completely agree they're messed up, and in some cases possibly damaging their children. I find it just as morally reprehensible as the rest of you, but that doesn't change the fact that it's entertaining to watch. And these pageants would still exist (as they have for decades) without the show, so it's not like we're creating the problem by voyeuristically watching from the sidelines.

You do bring up an interesting point about sports, and how pushy/crazy those parents can be too - as I tried to say earlier, with the reference to my figure skating days. Go watch some skating moms in action, and you will be introduce to a whole new level of crazy. Seriously, I can't even tell you how insanely pushy and competitive they can be! But for some reason most people excuse that behavior, while condemning that of a "pageant mom." I guess, as I already said above, it's easier to forgive when the activity itself is more productive. Anyway, I just think it's a rather hypocritical double standard.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I don't watch TV.

I didn't say it was crap because it was "low level entertainment". I said it was crap because it shows a bunch of emotionally screwed up unfit parents dressing their kids up like sexualized barbie dolls.

I know to many intelligent liberal types there is no "right" and "wrong" but being a shallow person and turning your own kids into glitter covered objects is morally reprehensible and can't be good for said kids' psyches. They also can't be good for the kids who see them and grow up with a disgustingly warped outlook on what is important in life.

Unfortunately the whole "you're not allowed to judge" thing you hear all the time now is something I couldn't possibly care less about. So I re-state my case that shows that embrace and even glorify stupidity and other indisputable character deficiencies are bad shows, and do not benefit society, at best.

I could take this past a subjective argument if I so desired. This is a psychological issue with tangible repercussions, not some **** I read in the bible.

That being said, watch what you want, I don't care.
Where did I say "you're not allowed to judge," or that there is no right or wrong? I'm happy to judge these people, in fact that's mostly what I do while watching the show. So nice attempt at bringing political BS into the conversation, but you obviously missed my entire point here.

My mother put me in short sparkly costumes, along with full stage makeup, back when I was competing in skating competitions. Do you find that just as morally wrong? I guess the difference is that our purpose wasn't solely to look pretty, but looks actually did play a HUGE role in those competitions (especially the ones known as "showcases" - where the running joke was that my curly red hair & cute smile won me those medals).

P.S. Why does a television show have to "benefit society?" If I want to do something good for society, I'll volunteer or donate to a cause... I only watch TV to be entertained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies