Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Then why does stop and frisk policies always get shot down? It's the ONLY way to get illegal guns off the streets before someone is killed with them.
It is a violation of personal rights and here in NYC it is actually inefficient seeing that they recover a small percentage of guns for the amount of people they stop and frisk. Basically 95% (generalized percentage because I am not at home to look up the correct number) of the people that are stopped are innocent people that just so happen to be black or Hispanic, that is what is known as racial profiling and if you treat someone like a criminal all the time, they might just start acting like one because you already see them as one.

I do think Southside and the Austin/Lawndale part of Chicago needs to do something drastic, but stop and frisk isn't the answer in NYC and I don't think it would be the answer in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The people of the Southside of Chicago have proven time and time again they don't know much of anything. They foisted Obama on the nation I could care less about their thoughts honestly but if they think guns are the problem then they are confirming my low opinion of them.
go tell that to the people of the southside ....

Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Aside from it being a violation of the 4th Amendment, once again that only deals w/ guns after they've been illegally acquired. We need a proactive solution that keeps criminals from getting guns in the first place.
And several of the White House's recommendations on gun control will do just that, like ensuring universal background checks, better tracking of guns, and prosecuting those who make straw purchases for felons, and prosecuting gun stores that close a blind eye to straw purchases, and making sure owners secure their guns better so they are stolen less often.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The people of the Southside of Chicago have proven time and time again they don't know much of anything. They foisted Obama on the nation I could care less about their thoughts honestly but if they think guns are the problem then they are confirming my low opinion of them.
So what you are saying is that you know little to nothing about Chicago, southside Chicago, or the history of the area and the people that live there.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Blacks & Hispanics are the biggest group of victims of gun violence in America. They tend to live in areas with higher than normal gun violence and criminal activity. Their support of gun-control measures sits around ~70%

According to the Conservative talking point (mostly coming from safe, rural America), we need to increase access & # of guns so people are safe from the criminals, otherwise only criminals will be armed. Yet the people that actually have to deal w/ criminals & gun violence overwhelmingly disagree with that position, and support gun control.

Which side is more credible in this discussion on what would be the best solution to tackle gun violence? People that deal w/ gun violence at a significantly lower rate or people that deal w/ gun violence at a significantly higher rate
Because they are generally ignorant to their rights....except when it comes to their perceived rights of free housing, food and cell phones. When "massa" obama and the libs say JUMP, they yell "how high, boss?".

That's why they have the problems they have.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
And several of the White House's recommendations on gun control will do just that, like ensuring universal background checks, better tracking of guns, and prosecuting those who make straw purchases for felons, and prosecuting gun stores that close a blind eye to straw purchases, and making sure owners secure their guns better so they are stolen less often.
Then I propose that ghetto people should have a universal background check and mental health evaluation before being allowed to breed.

Sounds ridiculous, huh?

Why is one right perceived and the other (which is guaranteed) not?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
I should have been clearer. In those meetings people complain about the guns on the streets and that something needs to be done to get those guns off. I have never heard anyone say that they're okay w/ criminals having guns b/c they have one too. I have never heard anyone say that any little thing done to get those guns off the street would violate their 2nd amendment rights.

The insanity is outside b/c of unchecked, rampant acquisition of guns by criminals. That is the only undeniable truth of the gun control debate. Republicans only solution is to punish people after they've gotten the gun, after they've killed someone. Everyone else, including the people living w/ the gun violence, wants something done BEFORE anyone gets killed, so that they don't need to resort to buying a gun themselves.
At least we agree. The problem is the criminals getting the guns, not the law abiding.

We could of course try the obvious thing. Locking up criminals and keeping them in prison. The vast majority of violent criminals have been arrested time after time. But somehow that is too much of a stretch for many in society.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Both sides are credible. This is America. Everyone is equal.

People in cities don't support gun control because they are mostly Democrats. And their leaders tell them how to think. In this case thir leaders have told them to support gun control. So they do.

People in rural areas are more self-sufficient and can think for themselves. They understand that gun control violates the Constitution. And gun control leads to more crime.
That is the answer! If they had any sense of independence they would be joining in this fight for their rights, but they are too dumb to figure this out.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well that goes to show you that people who live in cities don't think identically, we have different points of view too. Personally I would never be one to carry a gun even in a bad neighborhood, but in cities street smarts are worth more than any gun.

And that is certainly your right. I don't know any pro-gun-rights person that wants to force you to carry a gun.

Anti-gun people are sort of like the anti-abortion people. THey think because they choose not to do something, that nobody should be able to do so. Whereas neither pro-abortion or pro-gun people want to force those on the "other side" to do something they don't want to do or find objectionable. They simply want that choice left open for them.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is a violation of personal rights and here in NYC it is actually inefficient seeing that they recover a small percentage of guns for the amount of people they stop and frisk. Basically 95% (generalized percentage because I am not at home to look up the correct number) of the people that are stopped are innocent people that just so happen to be black or Hispanic, that is what is known as racial profiling and if you treat someone like a criminal all the time, they might just start acting like one because you already see them as one.

I do think Southside and the Austin/Lawndale part of Chicago needs to do something drastic, but stop and frisk isn't the answer in NYC and I don't think it would be the answer in Chicago.

We are in agreement that stop and frisk laws are an unreasonable infringement of individuals rights and privacy. I do wonder why the people of NYC put up with it. On the other hand, these are the same people that let "big brother" tell them what they can and can not eat, how big a soda they may buy, and yes, that they can not posess (for practical purposes) a firearm.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-18-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies