Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Again with the gratuitous use of violent language, in this particular instance, using a veiled threat to demonstrate the cyclical nature of violence.

Find a hobby Dude!

I didn't know I was dealing with lip wristed snowflakes..... I thought we were all equal people, being real.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The 2nd amendment was written for that age when there was no law enforcement and everyone had to defend themselves. Times have changed though and we need to adjust to that.

So the language and text has changed to reflect the times of today? Who changed it. It is the same text and in the same context as composed and signed as the rules against the government.

A bottom up society of governed.

Not a top down of forced tyranny.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I think it means the right to protect your life and property with firearms. I believe that statement is timeless and will still be legitimate when focused energy weapons become available.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times
I'll consider giving up my right to bear arms as soon as I'm given 24/7 protection by armed bodyguards. You know, like the people who enact ridiculous gun laws have.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
It truly differentiates Americans from other citizens of the world. It says the government guarantees your right to use lethal force if needed to protect your own life. Without the 2nd amendment we may as well take a shovel to this American experiment and give it back to Great Britain.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Oh really ? The Supreme court thinks otherwise

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...tect.html?_r=0
Amazing that they still think government is there to protect them, isn't it? Especially today when the same people spend so much time and energy trying to convince the people that the police are out to kill anyone who dares look at them.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Because of my looks, right after 9/11 for quite a while I was the one pulled aside in the airport to get special check-in treatment. I was fine with it even though it was a PIA because it was about safety. So if I was on a list, then first I would think I did something stupid to get there and I would fight to get off it.

The proposed legislation was a start. Never said it was a fix. But of course I expect gun owners to stand behind that right without any waivering.

So let's arm everybody and let what would be increased senseless deaths be called collateral damage.

The NRA and gun owners are all about tights etc, yet I have not heard one viable suggestion from that side of the argument either. So keep lambasting me with your gun patriotism and pretend you are always right. The key word I use is to find "compromise", a middle ground. I don't think either side has it right, but all I've seen from the gun advocates is pass out more guns.
What compromise are the gun grabbers giving? Because "we want all of these firearms" then asking for more and more like they have the last 80 years without expansion of gun rights at all isn't comprimise. If you don't know what comprimise means please look it up before posting junk like this. I'll give you universal BG checks, you give me constitutional carry without firearm limits.

The NRA, for all their faults, actually puts together decent suggestions based on *gasp* science and analysis, not fear and feelings. Just because you don't want to hear that that parity of mass shootings are within "gun free zones" doesn't make it any less true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have been a gun owner for nearly 60 of my 64 years. I am not a gun hater, nor do I wish to take away all guns. Neither do I find 33,000 unnecessary deaths by gun violence an acceptable figure.

If gun control is not the answer, then we need people control. I would love to hear from the 2A absolutists what they think can be done about it, and no, "nothing" is not the answer.
Suicide is now "gun violence". Hold on let me ask my psychologist friend who is working in patient today... nope she says you are an idiot and that mental health can lead to violent encounters but we don't call suicide by gun violence any more then the person who OD'S by pills "pharmaceutical violence".

Back to me; this is why a lot of the pro gun folks ignore people like you and laugh at your suggestions. You feel the need to add to the aggregate to pad a number. Even when you add in every negative encounter like the Brady Campaign does you end up with a per-firearm rate of <0.03% negative use. That's about 3x less then the mortality rates of common medications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The Founding Fathers never envisioned breech loading weapons let alone todays weaponry. I can't imagine Benjamin Franklin thinking it would be a good idea letting common people have guns with magazines or guns that can hit a target a mile away.

That said, they certainly wouldn't approve of police forces or a military like todays either. These have no place in the Founding and have done almost nothing except frustrate its intentions.
Look, let's make a deal. We keep it civil and not call you out on being a bumbling fool who has no historic references (because there were breach loaders, magazine fed arms, and repeaters) and you do us the favor of looking things up. This is probably the 10th thread (and I bet this has either been talked about in this thread or another firearms thread on the first page) where gun folks have had to educate anti-gun hoplophobics on facts. It's tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Amazing that they still think government is there to protect them, isn't it? Especially today when the same people spend so much time and energy trying to convince the people that the police are out to kill anyone who dares look at them.
They never heard of the Warren case. It would shatter their world's to know that the government will not protect you. They will need some safe spaces when they find out that regular folks protect themselves with a gun and stop crime more often then police. They will need therapy when they learn that regular civilians shoot better in a bad guy situation then police.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:14 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
I love when people bring up the whole weapons of the time thing.
Not sure the Founding Fathers invisioned social media, tv and the internet when they wrote the 1st.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM

They had the quill in their hand and the ink bottle close by.... The quill could just have easy been very specific. The right to keep & bear a musket, powder, & ball, was just strokes away......

But they wrote "ARMS" so that it remained wide open and unlimited, for the individual to choose for themselves, what Arms they would keep and bear as technology advanced.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM

593 posts, read 1,377,794 times
If the police can have it, the people should too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies