Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times

Advertisements

I would eliminate the:

Departments of Education, Interior, Energy, HHS, Treasury, Transportation, etc....

I would also get rid of the EEOC, EPA, OSHA, IRS, Consumer Protection Agency etc...

I would eliminate all Federal welfare and entitlement programs such as welfare, food stamps, unemployment, social security and medicare/Obamacare

I would tell countries like Japan and Germany to provide their own defense and bring all troops from overseas home. I would then cut the Defense Dept in half, maybe more.

I would elminate all these silly workplace laws that do nothing but lead to unemployment and overseas outsourcing. I would also outlaw unions, unless the employer agrees to it.

Then I'd start paying off the debt with all the extra money I have. As it gets paid down, I would start cutting business and personal taxes. Once the debt is under control and I'm running balanced budgets I elminate business and personal federal income taxes altogether.

Last edited by OhioIstheBest; 01-19-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

OK, which areas would you cut and where.
There are a lot of areas that can be cut substantially right now. But for the future, simply publicize the votes on spending bills and make the debt ceiling go up by the amount to be spent. Basically, attach ownership of spending that legislators cannot hide from the public. Then thru elections, let the public decide if that voting is what they wanted done in their name.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There are a lot of areas that can be cut substantially right now. But for the future, simply publicize the votes on spending bills and make the debt ceiling go up by the amount to be spent. Basically, attach ownership of spending that legislators cannot hide from the public. Then thru elections, let the public decide if that voting is what they wanted done in their name.
Change nothing?

Good Plan.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Change nothing?

Good Plan.
Well, comprehension is an elusive thing. It has to make it thru a lot of filters.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well, comprehension is an elusive thing. It has to make it thru a lot of filters.

Well, votes are already publicized, the debt ceiling always goes up and people already vote to determine if they want the same thing or not.

In other words, you propose doing the exact same thing we've been doing.

Which is fine if that's what you belive. Most of Amerika agreees with you if you look at election results.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
If we had more teachers in the world, then perhaps someone could explain the definition of "etc." for you.

Plus, I was highlighting the major categories. Teachers were the hardest hit due to this recession.
A Record Decline in Government Jobs: Implications for the Economy and America's Workforce | Brookings Institution

I have no problems with these arguments when used in the proper context. I do have an issue with these arguments when Wall St. crashed the global economy causing a global recession which dried up tax revenue and caused teachers to be laid off.

Lets fire bad teachers for being bad. Lets not fire teachers for the recklessness caused by the bankers refusing to be regulated.

Learn the difference

Most of Obama's deficit is caused by the economic downturn. Just because politicians have their heads up their asses doesn't mean I shouldn't recommend sound policy.

Learn the difference between economic policy and political policy. It is not my fault that we have bad politicians who are unable to invest into America, but do bad politicians diminish the fact that we need infrastructure? No.

SS is one of the most successful federal programs. It has lifted millions out of poverty and given people a better life. This idea that we need to end SS and that old people need to eat cat food is ****ed up.

Why anyone wants to see the poverty rate increase among our elderly who helped build this nation is beyond me. It makes me sick.

I am not buying into your defeatist attitude. The OP asked me where I wanted to cut spending. I was pretty clear about this. Cut the military, the War on Drugs, subsidies to big agribusinesses, and tax big Pharma's artificial monopoly.

Every other industrialized country has contained costs better than us, and with better outcomes.
So you are saying it is the bankers fault that they received billions directly, and then trillions indirectly?

You are saying Obama's should continue spend more money because the economy tanks? Maybe the CEO of all companies need to take a page from the president. When economy is bank, revenue goes down, instead of cut, more spending. Not enough revenue, just borrow more to spend. No wonder there are so many households have debt problem. This is just irresponsible.

SS is the worst program. The point go back to responsibility, which the government has none. SS has surplus (after all, it goes from 1% tax to 10.4% tax, and the limit increase every year) every year and guess where the money is? The politicians spend it the second it came it. Why the SS is the worst program? Because it is not your money, it is the government money, it is a tax. What you paid in has nothing to do with what you will be receiving. They don't even tell you how much you paid it, you get a year end statement saying you have earned the credit. If you look for good social security program, look at Singapore. It is your money. You can do whatever you want to do with it. If you decided to leave the country for good, you can get every penny back.

Why would anyone wants to see poverty rate increase? Ask the politicians why they think inflation is good for the country. Inflation hit the hardest at the lower level. No, inflation is not case by greedy producers. Inflation is crease of excess supply of money in the economy, price increase just a symptom. Inflation transfer the wealth from saver to debtor (the biggest debtor in the history of the world is the US government). When you have raising price for basic necessities every year, no wonder poverty goes up every year.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Well, votes are already publicized, the debt ceiling always goes up and people already vote to determine if they want the same thing or not.

In other words, you propose doing the exact same thing we've been doing.

Which is fine if that's what you belive. Most of Amerika agreees with you if you look at election results.
You may want to check the numbers of Dem and Repub votes for the House seats. So, some work needs to be done at the State levels to get the input from the voters correctly apportioned.. Districts should be reflective of population not Party affiliation.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Why is there this assumption that government spending needs to be "fixed?" This is all based upon the propaganda that the nation has a spending problem, when it really has a temporary problem, caused by the great recession.

Paul Krugman wrote an excellent piece in the Times yesterday that addresses this. Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
The Dwindling Deficit

It’s hard to turn on your TV or read an editorial page these days without encountering someone declaring, with an air of great seriousness, that excessive spending and the resulting budget deficit is our biggest problem. Such declarations are rarely accompanied by any argument about why we should believe this; it’s supposed to be part of what everyone knows.

This is, however, a case in which what everyone knows just ain’t so. The budget deficit isn’t our biggest problem, by a long shot. Furthermore, it’s a problem that is already, to a large degree, solved. The medium-term budget outlook isn’t great, but it’s not terrible either — and the long-term outlook gets much more attention than it should.

It’s true that right now we have a large federal budget deficit. But that deficit is mainly the result of a depressed economy — and you’re actually supposed to run deficits in a depressed economy to help support overall demand. The deficit will come down as the economy recovers: Revenue will rise while some categories of spending, such as unemployment benefits, will fall. Indeed, that’s already happening.
Why, exactly, should we believe that it’s necessary, or even possible, to decide right now how we will eventually address the budget issues of the 2030s?

Consider, for example, the case of Social Security. There was a case for paying down debt before the baby boomers began to retire, making it easier to pay full benefits later. But George W. Bush squandered the Clinton surplus on tax cuts and wars, and that window has closed. At this point, “reform” proposals are all about things like raising the retirement age or changing the inflation adjustment, moves that would gradually reduce benefits relative to current law. What problem is this supposed to solve?

Well, it’s probable (although not certain) that, within two or three decades, the Social Security trust fund will be exhausted, leaving the system unable to pay the full benefits specified by current law. So the plan is to avoid cuts in future benefits by committing right now to ... cuts in future benefits. Huh?
(read the rest)

Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
This seems more accurate - proposed federal spending for 2013

Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I have excellent credit rating and I grow tired of credit card agencies harassing me.

So, go **** yourself with your sophomoric claim.

It is cute that you used an emoticon. I will take that emoticon and shove it up your ass.

Get lost kid.
Your lack of critical thinking is mind numbing and the reason we are in this mess. Liberals are only concerned about their financial situation as it relates to other peoples money. The question was how would you reduce the debt. Your post rambled on and on about spending other peoples money to bring back jobs. Economic's 101.. The government can not create jobs because they take from one person and give to another. It follows the same principal as political leaders can not be ethical. They will always take from one to give to another.

I posted this on another thread. Since New York passed guns laws and is obviously a liberal bastion I am thinking that New York should be the new Liberal Nirvana. You could all move there. Let's take your post as an example of how it would work. You would spend all this money to create jobs, the liberal world would be good and all it's little inhabitants happy. The problem your going to run into is that there are not going to be enough people left with money to support your spending sprees. In short order your going to be selling bonds to pay for all the spending, eventually you will owe so much that the creditors will question your ability to pay them because you have strangled your tax base, your credit rating will tank, your interest rate will go up and the end will come. Sound familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies