Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

What about being a veteran makes you better at hospital administration than a non vet? Hell I'm a vet and I do a ton of work in VA Hospitals, I deal with both veteran and civilian VA workers all the time, there are stupid people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What about being a veteran makes you better at hospital administration than a non vet? Hell I'm a vet and I do a ton of work in VA Hospitals, I deal with both veteran and civilian VA workers all the time, there are stupid people everywhere.

Agreed, but if you were a POW and the staff of non-veterans send in a Korean nurse and then send in the police also non-vets to subdue you you proably would have a different mindset. A veteran would have known and the probelm would never have happened in the first place. Who better to relate with a PTSD patient than another vet? I'm not saying make them all 100% veteran run, by at least enforce the laws that make them at least 40% veteran employed.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Agreed, but if you were a POW and the staff of non-veterans send in a Korean nurse and then send in the police also non-vets to subdue you you proably would have a different mindset. A veteran would have known and the probelm would never have happened in the first place. Who better to relate with a PTSD patient than another vet? I'm not saying make them all 100% veteran run, by at least enforce the laws that make them at least 40% veteran employed.
I get what you're saying but your OP was asking about running a VA Hospital, to me that means the upper administration. Those people have very little if any contact with patients and they have zero say in which Dr. sees which patient. Based on my experience there are tons of vets working at the VA hospitals I've worked in, most are in positions where they actually deal with patients. I don't know the percentages but they're always looking to hire vets for whatever opening they have, it's posted all over the place.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why isn't the Commander in Chief a veteran? That would make more sense.

If a vet does not have the appropriate experience in running a hospital, it would make no sense. It is like asking why a demented geriatric does not run an Alzheimer's facility. Being a demographic of those treated does not necessarily provide insight into how an institution should be run.
Apparently you are not a vet nor do you work in VA hospital. The VA hospital serves veterans and therefore they share certain things that the civilian population does not, there experiences in war and combat. There is a certain comfort zone that vets share with one another regardless of branch. This holds true with police officers and firemen as well as other groups that have similiar experiences.

As far as your snide remark regarding the president not serving, maybe because he is responsible for non-military people as well as those who serve. Besides that is the reason that he has a Chief of Staff to inform him of what the military needs are, porviding that he listens to him unlike the previous president.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying but your OP was asking about running a VA Hospital, to me that means the upper administration. Those people have very little if any contact with patients and they have zero say in which Dr. sees which patient. Based on my experience there are tons of vets working at the VA hospitals I've worked in, most are in positions where they actually deal with patients. I don't know the percentages but they're always looking to hire vets for whatever opening they have, it's posted all over the place.

Yes, I was talking about the upper administrative part of the hospital which does have a direct affect on how the rest of the Hospital is run through the selection his/her division chiefs. If they are doctors they still will have to see x number of patients a year to maintain their credentials as a physician. Depending on what hospitals that you were at, many of them are not veterans. Here is a shocker to many people, they say that they are looking for vets but many of them hire alot of their freinds and familie members with a wink and a nod from H.R. Actually there are many positions that they post only because they have to but already filled the position with someone that they already know. This I have seen time and time again.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Actually in any management position, veterans should be thoroughly represented. I say this because any veteran that has served more than 8 years in the military has had some form of supervisory experience. With non veterans that is not necessarily the case. The VA that I'm working at now is a prime example of what I'm talking about, there is only one vet in a supervisory position and judging from the employee surveys it shows. You have supervisors that should not be supersvising a birthday party neverless people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies